Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 02:37 PM

7,490 posts, read 7,162,976 times

Advertisements

Any real difference in these three HE Washers:

Kenmore Elite White 5.0 cu. ft. High Efficiency Top-Load Washer(Model#29002)

Maytag White 5.0 cu. ft. Top-Load Washing Machine (MVWB750W)

Whirlpool White 5.0 cu. ft. Capacity Top-Load Washer Model# WTW7300XW

Also, is it better to get or forgo the extended warranty on these type of washers and matching dryers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 03:23 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Default Probably like Pontiac, Olds, Buick and Chevy...

All the same except for the cosmetics.

I have had a Frigidaire front loader for about 10 years and it has had no service calls. Mine has mostly mechanical controls. The magazine that publishes the reliability data is what I used to pick it, public library has copies...

Old 01-14-2011, 06:33 PM

367 posts, read 1,073,872 times
I would consider a front loaded machine over a top loaded with an agitator. Let gravity do the job for you, instead of having an agitator twisting and tearing your laundry.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:47 AM

1,212 posts, read 4,910,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Any real difference in these three HE Washers:

Also, is it better to get or forgo the extended warranty on these type of washers and matching dryers?
I have the Maytag model (minus the see thru lid). It holds the equivalence of 2 loads of clothes (compared to my old Frigidaire gallery front loader). The capicity is 5.7 cu. It is the Bravos series and came highly rated by user reviews.
I love my washer and wish my old dryer would break down so I can get the matching dryer. My old dryer has to dry the washer load in 2 parts because there are so many clothes, my dryer can't get the load fully dry in 1 cycle.

and I would not forgo extended warranty. I did for my refigerator because it was a "Kenmore" I thought that would mean top quality, durability. less than 2 years later, I have a short in my fridge... the lights and the indicator lights for the controls in my fridge has some sort of short in it. I have been without a light in my fridge since just after Thanksgiving. Service is scheduled for Tuesday (because I can't stand not having a light in the fridge any longer). I wish I got the extended warranty. The salesman tried to talk me into it.

Last edited by kcam213; 01-15-2011 at 05:57 AM.. Reason: more answers.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:52 AM

1,212 posts, read 4,910,573 times
Oh and my top loader does not have an agitator. It is a high efficency top loader.

I would not buy another front loader. Nice colors and so pretty but after only 5 years of moderate use, my front loader whirlpool gallery started RUINING my white clothes. It turns out there was some gasket that had broken a seal and some black gunk would get all over my clothes leaving greasy looking black dots all over my whites.

When searching for answer about our problem I learned about a lot of other problems people were having with front loaders... black mold from too much suds, black gunky build up from liquid fabric softener, bad smells, clothes smelling moldy AFTER washing...

No thanks!

Old 01-15-2011, 07:17 AM

165 posts, read 1,285,000 times
I have a Maytag HE top loader. It does not have an agitator. I like it. It has a large capacity and really spins the moisture out of the clothes so it reduces the time needed in the dryer. It makes some space-age noises, clicking and whirring, but not noticeable if I close the door to the laundry room.

An article in the dec. 2010 consumer reports calls extended warranties "notoriously bad deals".

Old 01-15-2011, 10:59 AM

Thanks, going with a HE Top Loader as I had one at my previous home and loved it; works great and no so called "twisting and tearing" as you mention. Usually this occur due to consumer error if they don't read the manual and use the proper settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_bd View Post
I would consider a front loaded machine over a top loaded with an agitator. Let gravity do the job for you, instead of having an agitator twisting and tearing your laundry.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:03 AM

I am with you, not even considering a front loader due to all you mentioned which is why I narrowed it down to the 3 I specified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post
Oh and my top loader does not have an agitator. It is a high efficency top loader.

I would not buy another front loader. Nice colors and so pretty but after only 5 years of moderate use, my front loader whirlpool gallery started RUINING my white clothes. It turns out there was some gasket that had broken a seal and some black gunk would get all over my clothes leaving greasy looking black dots all over my whites.

When searching for answer about our problem I learned about a lot of other problems people were having with front loaders... black mold from too much suds, black gunky build up from liquid fabric softener, bad smells, clothes smelling moldy AFTER washing...

No thanks!

Old 01-15-2011, 11:04 AM

Wonder why, as I would think they would pay for themself if just one thing went wrong. I cannot begin the labor and parts costs for all the of the electronics involved nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryH3 View Post
An article in the dec. 2010 consumer reports calls extended warranties "notoriously bad deals".

Old 01-15-2011, 11:08 AM

I would agree, but cannot figure out the reason for the difference in prices:

Reg Price: $924.99
Savings: $277.50
$647.49

Reg Price: $899.99
Savings: $135.00
$764.99

Reg Price: $799.99
Savings: $120.00
$679.99

and then there is also this one:

Whirlpool White 5.2 cu. ft. I.E.C. Capacity Top-Load Washer Model# WTW7600XW
Reg Price: $899.99
Savings: $200.00
$699.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
All the same except for the cosmetics.

I have had a Frigidaire front loader for about 10 years and it has had no service calls. Mine has mostly mechanical controls. The magazine that publishes the reliability data is what I used to pick it, public library has copies...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House