Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2011, 10:18 PM

836 posts, read 1,493,931 times

Advertisements

I rent an old house with wood floors. I had a large potted plant sitting right on the floor (yeah, bad idea, right...) and when I moved it today to do some cleaning discovered that the floor beneath it was slightly damp and discolored. It's a dark grey/almost black stain.

Yes, I moved the plant and dried the floor.

Is there an easy fix for this? It's a small spot and not really a big deal, but I'd like to fix it if I can. Has anyone had a similar situation, and if so, what have you tried?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 03:18 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,097,922 times
It has a clear coat on it?

Old 01-03-2011, 07:11 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,873,351 times
Very hard to get out.

You can sand it down and try some wood bleach. You may then have to stain it to match the rest of the floor. When we did this, we ended up sanding and staining the entire floor and still there is a difference in shade shere the water stains were. Depending on how deep the water penetrated, you might be able to just sand it a lot and get through to some undamaged wood, but if you sand too far, you will sand right through the ears the lock the floring peices together, then you have to replace the boards, or maybe the whole floor if you can no longer match the existing.

You may want to hire a professional to try to match the stain color. Some of them are amazing at matching.

The best thing to do is to put a rug over it.

Good luck.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:56 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,797,212 times
I would notify the landlord before attempting anything. There's probably a bitter pill to swallow any way you slice this and if you attempt to fix it and, God forbid, somehow make it worse without the LL's knowledge or consent the pill is probably more bitter.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:06 PM

836 posts, read 1,493,931 times
Thanks for the input. Yes, there's a clear coat on the floor but I don't know what type (poly??) Anyway the damaged spot really is small and I don't think very noticeable. Plus it adds character, right? I suppose I will let the LL know and see if he wants me to do anything about it.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:11 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,405,865 times
As a property manager, yes definitely call your LL and have them personally come out and look at it, then give you their decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House