Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 07:42 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,542,423 times

Advertisements

The link to the page didn't come out for some reason. Oh well - I'll let you look it up.
You should have enough sources now to find your hinge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 07:48 PM

7,791 posts, read 8,061,358 times
yeah that's a very common european hinge any local cab shop would have one,give em a shot the big boys aint all that big when you trade with a local pro

Old 12-12-2010, 07:51 PM

246 posts, read 1,358,121 times
thanks for all the info. Very helpful. One last question, what is dowel mounting for a hinge versus screw mounting....??

Old 12-12-2010, 07:57 PM

Might have found a supplier that others have not mentioned

Pie Cut Corner Hinge - Clip-On Style LQ-H71D33-NP-A

Old 12-12-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zotmeister View Post
thanks for all the info. Very helpful. One last question, what is dowel mounting for a hinge versus screw mounting....??
The hinge is mounted with a dowel rather than a screw.
Not something you want to try unless you have a fair amount of woodworking experience.
The hinge will come with a mounting plates with holes for dowels. The dowels are not wood as you might think of them, but rather normally a hard plastic with ridged edges. Using the mount plates as patterns holes are drilled to a depth of approx. 1/2 inch in the door and cabinet frame then the dowels (usually approx 5/16 of an inch in dia) are inserted through the mounting plates into the holes in the door and frame and the ridges on the dowels hold the plates in place . The mounting plates are attached to the hinge to complete the task.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zotmeister View Post
Might have found a supplier that others have not mentioned

Pie Cut Corner Hinge - Clip-On Style LQ-H71D33-NP-A
You'll note that under "specifications" for that hinge they mention a metal cup 35mm (slightly greater than 1 3/8") in dia and 11.3mm (slightly greater than 3/8") depth. In order to install that hinge that hinge a hole is drilled into the door 35mm dia 11.3mm depth for the 'cup' to fit into.
Just a heads up for you to check the hinge your buying for the lack of the cup unless you have the skill and tools to drill your door to specifications.
Also, thanks for the web site. I look for new suppliers from time to time.
Good luck

Old 12-13-2010, 07:03 AM

I actually already have a pre-existing cup on the cabinet. I am really looking to replace the old hinge since it broke off at the screw location. I am hoping for a replacement and not a new type of hinge with the idea that you are mentioning-I don't want to have to drill or make additional screw holes.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:52 AM

I doubt you are going to find part of that hinge. Your likely going to have to buy a complete hinge. What you have is a euro hinge (with a cup). Grass America PO box 1019 Kernersville, NC 27284 - phone 336 996 4041 is a major supplier of those hinges. Many of them made in Germany. I'd always rather have a made in USA or made in Germany than I would to have a made in China as you believe yours was.
You may want to purchase a vernier caliper ($20.00 at Loews) Get one with a digital read out rather than a dial. with that you can get an accurate measurements for the cup to make sure the new hinge has the same size cup for a tight fit. Too small and obviously the new won't fit. Too large obviously it will be loose.
The best option is to contact Grass, mail them your complete hinge and they will match what you have. You can trust they will not loose your hinge if you mail it and doing so will guarantee the correct match. You may want to consider replacing both hinges rather than just the broken one.
If you do mail the hinge to them of course you will not need the vernier caliper. They will do the measuring.
Grass is not cheap, but when your done you'll have a quality hinge that works smooth.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:36 AM

This is getting more complicated than I had envisioned. I was thinking a quick stop to HD, pick up hinge, go home, 5 minutes later its done. I know what you mean about getting both hinges as a new top hinge may not be identical in fit with the lower old door hinge. I am just hoping I will not have to make new screw holes or cup.

But Gaffer, your information has been very helpful. Probably the most relevant and helpful info. I have received in any questions I have asked ever!! Kudos to you!!

I think the one I found under D. Lawless may be it. The hinge is like $2.35, but an additional $10 for shipping if ordering under $50.00....YIKES!!!!

Old 12-13-2010, 04:22 PM

I think the one I found under D. Lawless may be it. The hinge is like $2.35, but an additional $10 for shipping if ordering under $50.00....YIKES!!!!

Ya, a quick stop at HD and 5 minute install if it were a more standard hinge, but in your case - - - ------------------.
I mentioned I bought a special hinge a while back from Grass. As I recall the price for one including shipping was around $16.00, but for 6 was $20.00. I bought 6 just in case I ran across someone that needed one. The advantage there was I sent them the damaged hinge and received an exact match.
Drilling new screw holes should not be a problem. If you want to fill the old holes drill them out with an 1/8" drill cut off a piece of 1/8' dowel and insert in the hole with a tad of glue and twist it a little as it goes in to spread the glue. The dowel should be shorter than the depth of the hole and insert it slowly as to not sink it into the hole and leave a depression. If you have to drill for the new screw hole in the same area let the glue dry for 24 hrs before drilling.
Drilling a new hole for the cup is a (w)hole (no pun) other story. I've never had to do that and don't know how I would and I've built a few cabinets in my day.
Glad to help - thanks for the kudos.
An Amish cabinet maker bought the farm across the road a few years ago - guess where I go for help??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House