Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2010, 06:35 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,941,851 times

Advertisements

I need some advice about shower tile. I'm hoping that I can save some time and expense by only removing the existing shower tile and then replacing it with something nicer. It all depends on if it can be done.

Here's what I have. The shower is perfectly functional and waterproof right now. I would assume that there is concrete board underneath the shower walls instead of the cheap greenboard, but the shower floor is definately the solid dry pack with a waterproof membrane. The shower doesn't have any of the fiberglass walls or fiberglass base used in some showers.

The shower walls and floor are covered by tile and grout. It is the cheap white glazed tile and I want to remove it. I just can't stand that stuff,

My hope is that it's possible to remove the tile without needing to take the entire shower down to the studs. I'd rather not have to do the dry pack all over again and deal with correctly waterproofing the entire shower.

What do you think? Can I chip the tiles off and then perhaps just sand smooth the old thinset, without causing any bigger problems, or will I have to strip the entire thing down to the studs? What issues do you think I'll run into?

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 06:54 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
I think you will spend more time trying to do this plan than it would take to strip it down to the studs and do it over.

The chances of getting all the old tile off, and end up with a smooth surface without damaging the underlayment is pretty remote.

It's one thing to remove tiles that are loose and replace them, and quite another to remove tiles that are solidly adhered.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:54 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
The thin set may come up well or not, you will have to grind it to remove. Vent well. If you puncture the wonderboard or scratch coat you will have to start over. Buy a few cold chisels, use eye protection.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:49 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Barking spider is 100% correct, matter of TIME vs everything else...

If it were just some of the tile or even something like an accent course then it might make sense to try, but honestly the extreme effort and slowness that would be required to chip away the hundreds of files that an entire shower would take days, and for what? To save a ti y bot of cash for new underlayment?

You almost certainly would not have to rip out base. Assuming you ace a situation with a membrane that was properly installed there should be way to amkw sure that sits behind the new Wonder Board...

Old 11-19-2010, 02:12 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,384,569 times
You can do it. Remove the old tiles. Carefully scrape the thinset as best you can. Then use a floor sander to carefully sand the surface smooth not using too much force or pressure. Let the sandpaper do your work not your muscle. Use a medium grit down to a fine grit for the finish. Then retile as you would normally.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:55 PM

792 posts, read 4,487,051 times
It can't hurt to try removing only the tiles, but I would quickly change course should it become too time consuming or if chunks of backer board or mortar come off with the tiles.

The other thing to think about is the condition of the waterproof membrane. A lot of showers were installed with a cheap membrane that was basically tar paper and it does not last longer than 20-25 years. And in a lot of places it is/was accepted practice to install the membrane directly on the subfloor instead of on a pre-slope. This almost guarantees a mold problem in and under your shower floor.

If this is a home you are planning to stay in for 5+ years then I would really think about ripping it out completely and starting over. With the proper materials and techniques you can build a shower that will last for 50+ years. By replacing only the tile without knowing for sure what's under it, it's very possible you'll be doing this again in the near future.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:08 AM

1 posts, read 12,539 times
How do I remove shower walls that have been calked to the base without damaging the base?

Old 07-06-2017, 11:08 AM

1,834 posts, read 2,694,042 times
Yes you can only if you do not crack the substrate. Take great care and lots of time. Also waterproof the entire shower 3 coats prier to new tile install. Beware of the need for drain, etc to be flush with the new tile level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House