Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2010, 08:43 AM

851 posts, read 3,627,855 times

Advertisements

I noticed a small window leak on one of my windows. Do I need to fix it? I put a quarter to show the relative size.

I have no clue what to do as the only thing I know about my house is its address.
Attached Thumbnails
Window leak-img00204-20101107-1138.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 08:54 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
Hard to tell if it is for sure a "leak" caused by the window or perhaps and issue with condensation or, potentially worst of all, a leak from some other part of the structure that is merely most visible near the window.

It should certainly be investigated. It is turns out you have a leak in the roof or the exterior finish this may turn out to be a VERY costly and time consuming repair.

Some home inspection services or energy audit companies might have the tools to "see inside" either literally or with IR cameras and that might give a clue as to what the extent of the problem is.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:43 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,894,397 times
The window looks to be a replacement high E window. I suspect that the seal on the outside may be leaking. Check when it rains if the area is wet. Also look early in the morning to see if it is condensation. Inspect the outside to see if there is an opening for water. It may be as simple as cualking around the outside or as previously stated a more serious problem. Start with the simple solutions and increase the search as simple fixes are eliminated as the problem.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:24 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,767,735 times
Quote:
The window looks to be a replacement high E window.
Scrape everything and re-caulk the window inside and out. Its not something you want to fool around with going into winter. If it comes back again during the spring rains then deal with it.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:29 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,094,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
The window looks to be a replacement high E window.

high E?
You can find low E glass day in and day out- but what the heck is that?

Old 11-09-2010, 06:52 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,767,735 times
Quote:
high E window.
Quote:
low E glass
Maybe High Performance Low E was meant.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:33 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,789,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Scrape everything and re-caulk the window inside and out. Its not something you want to fool around with going into winter. If it comes back again during the spring rains then deal with it.
That miserable, frigid Houston winter... That's "home improvement project season" in these parts...

That's probably an issue due to draft and condensation combined with a poorly cleaned surface before caulking and painting. That kind of paint deterioration in that exact location is a pretty common wear characteristic in repainted, sheetrock clad window jambs in Houston. Probably shouldn't get up in arms just yet. Like Neil said, you need to do something about the draft, strip the caulk, strip the paint, re-caulk, repaint, wait to see what happens. If it recurs you may have a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House