Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,639 times

Advertisements

Is the rust harmful? After I run the water in the bath it clears up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 03:50 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,870,670 times
I thought all water heat has a sacrificial anode rod. But I looked at the top of my water heater (50 gallon, 7 yrs old, gas) and see no signs of one.

Also, it has a 6 yrs warranty and I heard that the heater usually fails right when the warranty runs out. So I'm a bit worried.

How can I go about flushing my water heater if it's in the basement (no walkout bulk-head but has a window that is higher than the top of the heater). One option is to drain the water into the tank where a sump pump is installed - Question #1) Cab the gunk and rust from the heater will ruin the sump pump? Question #2) Do I turn off the gas supply after turning off the switch at the breaker?

Old 05-14-2013, 10:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,485 times
If the problem is in the water heater, then why is it only the bathroom faucet and not the faucet in the kitchen? I also haven't noticed it much in the shower.

I try to remember to drain the water heater a few times a year and often use this mobile maintenance reminder to help me remember.

Maintenance Reminder - Allstate

Old 07-08-2015, 10:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,499 times
Thanks for sharing. I have the same problem but the strange thing is that only one bathroom has brown/yellow water the other one is fine. How i it possible?

Old 07-09-2015, 11:56 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,154,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfrafarah View Post
Thanks for sharing. I have the same problem but the strange thing is that only one bathroom has brown/yellow water the other one is fine. How i it possible?
Older plumbing in one part of the house or a longer pipe run to one bathroom may show more of a problem. Both of my bathrooms had some rust sediment visible after days of non-use, but the back one that wasn't used as often, had older plumbing, and a long pipe run had noticeably more sediment than the main bath. The water heater wasn't the issue, it was all due to old galvanized plumbing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House