Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 05:35 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,376,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I would look into LED lights. They throw off a lot of light without getting warm. We have 3 2 bulb box lights in our kitchen and I do love the amount of light they throw off but they are ugly. At least they tried to make ours look ok by adding some decorative trim. .
I already have some non-LED light fixtures in mind, thanks. I just need to know how many of them I need to put in to replace the fluorescent light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 03:51 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,413,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I have an ugly 4-tube fluorescent light box in my kitchen; I want to replace it but I also want the same amount of light with the new fixture(s). I want to replace it with one or more short pendant or flush mount fixtures and I will be using CFL bulbs in the new fixtures.

Is there any website that can convert the amount of light generated by different light fixtures or anyone who can give me some advice? It may sound stupid but I don't want my kitchen to be dark. I just want that ugly light fixture gone.

Google "Lumens"

Old 04-23-2016, 04:24 PM

2,337 posts, read 2,592,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I already have some non-LED light fixtures in mind, thanks. I just need to know how many of them I need to put in to replace the fluorescent light.
You can use LED bulbs in most standard fixtures. They're initially more expensive, but the light output is very good, they come on instantly, there's very little heat, and they will save you money in the long run. Plus, you won't have to change bulbs for a LONG time.

Old 04-23-2016, 05:56 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,271,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
You're wanting a "lumens" comparison-

Try this:

LED light bulbs: Comparison charts - Eartheasy.com Solutions for Sustainable Living (there's a chart about halfway down the page)

Though I understand every one's conservatism, a kitchen is not the place to scrimp. Nor is it the place for "fancy-schamcy" hanging fixtures (of any kind). Lighting should be for function- and as practical as possible; i.e., keeping it clean- I hate any kind of dust bunny farm in a kitchen (thoses FL boxes are notorious for being bug/fly catchers).

I always recommend recessed fixtures for general lighting- and there's really no substitute for halogen. But you can use CFL's, LED's, and incandescents.

As jimbo mentioned- undercabinet lights are a definite, especially for prep areas. I recommend strip xenon lights (thoses lowvolt/line volt pucks are crap-don't even bother). Fluorescents are okay for the power saver, but if you want a "true natural light" go with the xenon.
All of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House