Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2010, 06:18 AM

202 posts, read 568,592 times

Advertisements

not many out there yet has anyone any thoughts on these, I am replacing my 70's baseboard heaters and wanted to invest in something better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 03:18 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,113,665 times
If you are referring to electric heat comparing the standard element to hydronics they provide a more comfortable heat. With the standard electric heat the element heats up quickly and once it's off cools down quickly so you get a lot of up and down fluctuation in the temperature of the room.

The hydronics will heat up more slowly and once it goes off they will continue to provide heat over a longer period of time.

As far as efficiencies go there is no difference, any electric heat is 100% efficient and will provide the same BTU's per watt. You might see a slight drop because of the more even distribution but that's really irrelevant.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:01 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,718,647 times
So glad YOU asked this question! I asked last year and while I understand what thecoalman says, I'd like to know the experiences of someone who had regular baseboard heaters and then upgraded to hydronic.

The cost difference is extraordinary as you've probably seen at the stores. So for someone to make that kind of investment...considering they cost the same to run (kw per hour).....got to know what the difference is!

I am putting in baseboard heaters in October...should have done it last year but have been hesitant.

One thing I read about the heaters is they don't ping and crackle like regular baseboard heaters do. Yet, my sister has baseboards and they DON'T make that noise anyway.

Please come back to this thread and update it with what you discover in your research....and if you buy them....what made you by them.

Thanks!

Old 07-24-2010, 06:06 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,718,647 times
Your post has me thinking again so I did some online searching and came up with:

not as noisy as regular baseboard heaters and
hydronic heating does not dry out the air, or spread dust or allergens
if you adjust the thermostat alot like when going out/coming home- hydronic may not be best as they take longer to heat up

Last edited by VegasGrace; 07-24-2010 at 06:18 AM..

Old 07-24-2010, 12:24 PM

Default well we bought evryone one of them at Lowe's

2k worth and there are no more left. When I called R J Walkers they were alot more expensive and noone seemed to know anything about them. In Ireland we have similar except they are almost flat and up to about 3 feet in height and flush against the wall. Going to install these this wekeend. Should we anticipate any problems, I am thinking we take the old ones off and wire them up the same.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:04 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,140,913 times
It will be expensive to go with hydronics if you aren't already using hot water heat because you'll have to install plumbing and a boiler.

I personally would never even buy a house with electric baseboard heat. I love hot water heat. Hot water doesn't dry the air in the winter. Less chapped skin.

For us, hot water heat is cheaper to heat a house because it uses gas not electric. Well, my hot water is heated with gas.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:04 PM

Default Hopes

the ones we bought are filled with oil and yes I would never buy a house with heating like this again, sadly at the time we moving we had already picked out a house with different heating system but when we asked to have a minor leak fixed on the roof, the roofer bought it for cash from under our nose. So we got stuck with the house from hell. However, we have rebuilt this place now and are in it for a while.

trying to do the best we can to get thru the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House