Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 05:04 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,051,714 times

Advertisements

Have you ever had your home's ducts professionally cleaned? Do you think it was worthwhile in reducing allergens ? Did it improve the air quality of your home?

I'm considering doing it but would like to hear from anyone who has had experience in the procedure. Thanks for any responses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 06:05 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,323,523 times
I had my ducts professionally cleaned a couple years ago. I was amazed at how much stuff came out of the ducts,and I am crazy about changing the filters.
We used to have dust appear in our bathroom right after we had cleaned. After the ducts were cleaned, we no longer had that problem.

Some of the companies will try to sell you fancy filters and other add ons, but the company we used did not.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:07 PM

450 posts, read 5,025,044 times
I am thinking about this too but I am concerned about how they contain all the dust that comes out of the ducts. What is the process like? Is there any chance that large quantities of the dust in the ducts can be expelled into the living space? That would be very bad for my husband's severe allergies.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:01 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,355,946 times
I don't know if it reduced allergens or air quality but it sure cuts down on the DUST (which I know contains allergens, etc.). The guy that did our ducts said that you really only need to do them once or after you do any major work on your house involving a lot of dust or drywalling.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:16 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,102,589 times
In most cases duct cleaning is a waste of money, the dust that is collected is in the return duct and not entering the supply air stream.
Should You Have the Air Ducts in Your Home Cleaned? | Indoor Air | US EPA

Old 07-13-2010, 06:01 AM

11 posts, read 59,993 times
Here is another that will explain everything.
Should You Get Your Heating Ducts Cleaned? | CMHC (http://www.cmhc.ca/en/co/maho/gemare/gemare_011.cfm - broken link)
Anna

Old 07-13-2010, 10:47 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,609,967 times
I had mine cleaned last month after getting a new furnace & a/c. Found out there was a difference between duct cleaning and duct sanitizing. Since I'd been living in my 31 year old house for 12 years, I decided I should get the whole shabang.

Don't know if it helped with allergens or not as that wasn't my main concern.

I bought one of those expensive, thick filters that needs to be changed twice per year. I was investing a lot of money in this new systems & thought the $68 per year in filters was worth it. I think the typical monthly replacement filters are about $3 each so the $68 didnt' seem like a bad price.

The company who installed my HVAC system had their own duct cleaning crew. They recommended that I clean them every year. Uh, no. That's not going to happen. Maybe every five years.

The duct cleaning was included in my quote for my whole HVAC system installation. The duct sanitizing was an additional $250. My house has 3 heatg registers downstairs, 8 upstairs and a total of 3 cold air returns. I think they base the price on this info.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:37 PM

Ghengis,
You obviously have never had your ducts cleaned, or been around when it was being done, OR have looked inside supply ducts.
They do clean the return and the return ducts.
They also clean the supply ducts. IF you have ever looked inside a supply duct, you would know that there is a fair amount of crud that resides there.

The junk that is in the return, that gets past the filter, and gets past the evaporator coil, and gets by the forced air blower assembly, does end up in the ducts, then the supply registers, and then on the counter tops and furniture in the house.

If you have ever looked inside an air handler, you would know that a lot of dust/crud accumulates on the blower motor/fan and the inside of the units, then into the ducts.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:16 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,102,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Ghengis,
You obviously have never had your ducts cleaned, or been around when it was being done, OR have looked inside supply ducts.
They do clean the return and the return ducts.
They also clean the supply ducts. IF you have ever looked inside a supply duct, you would know that there is a fair amount of crud that resides there.

The junk that is in the return, that gets past the filter, and gets past the evaporator coil, and gets by the forced air blower assembly, does end up in the ducts, then the supply registers, and then on the counter tops and furniture in the house.

If you have ever looked inside an air handler, you would know that a lot of dust/crud accumulates on the blower motor/fan and the inside of the units, then into the ducts.
You obviously didn't read the EPA Report I posted.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:19 PM

I did..
"You should consider having the air ducts in your home cleaned if:

Ducts are infested with vermin, e.g. (rodents or insects); or

Ducts are clogged with excessive amounts of dust and debris and/or particles are actually released into the home from your supply registers."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House