Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 12:03 PM

381 posts, read 1,309,665 times

Advertisements

Yikes. Our handyman installed an engineered-wood Mohawk floating floor over our uneven concrete floor with only minor leveling. It's not sheeting but strips. When we step on it we can feel every bump and dip in the concrete. It seems very flimsy and liable to pop under pressure.

He says there is nothing we can do because the ceiling is so low that we can't fit a subfloor. He thinks the molding and furniture will make the "movement" unnoticeable.

He's willing to do anything reasonable to fix the problem but he doesn't know what to do.

Can this be right? I've never walked on a floor that felt this awful. There has to be a better solution! But time and cost are important. What can we do?? Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 12:08 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,983,616 times
When the floor is that uneven, you need to do a layer of self-leveling concrete first.

QUIKRETE® - Floor Resurfacer - Fast-Setting Self-Leveling

Essentially, the floor needs to come back out, level it, then reinstalled.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:22 PM

Thanks, Narfcake!

I'm doing crash research on floating floors over concrete and two things come up: moisture barrier "Floating" wood floors over concrete and plywood subfloor How to Install Floating Bamboo Floors on Concrete | eHow.com.

Are those necessary? Is subfloor an alternative to leveling concrete or do you need both?

Also, the ehow article says 1/4" plywood for subfloor. Does that mean the total depth of the subfloor is only 1/4" - 1/2"? If that's the case, my handyman is totally misleading me - we can sacrifice 1/2" of height even with our low ceilings!

Thanks for any help!!!

ETA: We're not using bamboo, my floating/concrete search just pulled up that article.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:41 PM

548 posts, read 1,217,665 times
We have a slab and our installers leveled the concrete first and then GLUED the engineered wood floor to it. I heard that floating floors over concrete doesn't work well.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:41 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,983,616 times
Depending on how uneven the floor is, a sub-floor is an alternative. However, that still means you're going to have some pockets under the plywood without any support, so it might not completely eliminate that springy feeling on your floor.

Self-leveling is most probably the best solution. Then lay back the vapor barrier and flooring. Since everything is cut already, label them, so they can be reinstalled back in order.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:18 PM

Thanks so much, and sorry, still a couple more q's.

How long after laying the Quikkrete can they put the floor back? I see it sets 3-4 hrs but is that enough time to wait?

Vapor barrier - what is best? I've read about a foam barrier. That sounds like it would help cushion the wood over the concrete. Is it a good kind of barrier?

Last edited by Ninasimonejr; 07-06-2010 at 01:55 PM..

Old 07-06-2010, 05:28 PM

102 posts, read 708,532 times
I have a floating wood floor(12 years old) over slab and have had no problems. No concrete leveling was done. There is some type of cushioning material is laid down on the slab.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:46 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,813,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albuquerque101 View Post
We have a slab and our installers leveled the concrete first and then GLUED the engineered wood floor to it. I heard that floating floors over concrete doesn't work well.
This is the right way to lay engineered wood floors.
For OP they are going to have to pull everything up, put down some self leveling concrete then glue the floors down to be done the right way.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:52 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,983,491 times
I don`t think that gluing floors down is always the best way. Mine are floating and have never had any issues.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:05 PM

Well, they've agreed to pull it up and do self-leveling concrete, and put an underlayment per the mfr's instructions. I'm going to hope that I'll end up agreeing with those who've had good experience with floating floors. We'll see! Thanks SO much for helping me through a scary moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House