Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2009, 02:37 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,515,152 times

Advertisements

We have a '98 Acura CL. When we start her up and she gets to temp, her engine starts to rev. We have been told that this is a simple fix but we have yet to learn what the fix is.....any ideas or thoughts? We sure do appreciate it.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 03:15 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,058,915 times
Probably you have a code stored in the computer that can be read out by any shop and many auto parts stores (AutoZone, etc.)

I think what you are saying is that the engine RPM fluctuates once the coolant temp is up to normal, right? What about when cold?

Another point - if you have deferred maintenance, need to change fuel filter, plugs, etc., taking care of this is the best first step in troubleshooting.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:44 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,515,152 times
When the engine is cold, she runs about 1,500 rpm which is about 500 more rpm than she normally does. Also when she's cold, she'll stub her toe a bit upon start and if I feather the gas pedal, she'll quickly come to life.

She'll run smooth, although at 1,500 rpm. Once she reaches operating temp, she'll start the up and down with the rpm. She'll move from 1,500 rpm to about 2,000 rpm and then back to 1,500 rpm. And, she'll continue to run this way.

I don't know where the fuel filter is, but my guess is it hasn't been changed since I bought the vehicle with 34K miles. She now has 130K for her mileage.

And, thanks for the quick reply. I'd like to get this corrected and then put her up for sale.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:04 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,058,915 times
Fuel filter would be a good place to start.

I don't know if I would recommend spending the $ to have a good reputable local shop do a "major tuneup" or not. Some people want to buy a car that "needs nothing" and are willing to pay for that, but if you were trying to sell the car to *me* I'd rather buy it "as is" and fix myself.

Maybe I will suggest this: Do or have done the fuel filter anyway, see if you can get the fault codes pulled, I'm pretty certain that you have some codes stored, see what the codes suggest, either go ahead and fix or post back and discuss with the motorhead community here.

Having fixed the obvious stuff, offer the car for sale more or less "as is".

If you don't get much action on that, go ahead with the major tuneup by reputable shop.

Unfortunately you can't mark the price of the car up by the full amount of the tuneup, you can try but good luck. But you may get more takers that way.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:10 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,333,588 times
sometimes when Hondas do this, they need a MAP sensor reset or replacement, if this is the case you may also get a very low idle speed when stopping at a light, etc.

after a while it will probably throw a code for it....

Old 04-10-2009, 07:53 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,850,718 times
There are two forums that may help: www.acuraworld.com and www.acurazine.com. I'd post there as someone will have a CL or TL with the same engine, year, etc.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:37 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,811,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
When the engine is cold, she runs about 1,500 rpm which is about 500 more rpm than she normally does. Also when she's cold, she'll stub her toe a bit upon start and if I feather the gas pedal, she'll quickly come to life.

She'll run smooth, although at 1,500 rpm. Once she reaches operating temp, she'll start the up and down with the rpm. She'll move from 1,500 rpm to about 2,000 rpm and then back to 1,500 rpm. And, she'll continue to run this way.

I don't know where the fuel filter is, but my guess is it hasn't been changed since I bought the vehicle with 34K miles. She now has 130K for her mileage.

And, thanks for the quick reply. I'd like to get this corrected and then put her up for sale.
Cold start idling at 1500 rpm is normal. However, the need for stubbing the gas pedal isn't. It can happen when enough fuel isn't reaching the engine, and may need to be diagnosed.

The "blip" between 1500 rpm and 2000 rpm you see might be torque converter engaging/disengaging momentarily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura