Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2022, 09:34 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,013,258 times

Advertisements

My car has been sitting undriven for more than 24 hrs in Below Zero wind chills. I'm concerned about the battery ( 4 yrs old, $160 ) in my 2012 Honda FIT. I've read conflicting reports about the effeciveness/dangers of starting it and idling the engine. Would like to hear back from someone who has actual experience with this issue. What are your recommendation? If YES, how long to let it idle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2022, 12:39 PM

7,525 posts, read 13,651,179 times
See https://www.interstatebatteries.com/support/faqs
where it says:
"The amperage or current output of an alternator is more than adequate to power the vehicle and charge the battery as long as the vehicle is driving down the road. At idle, the current is lower and may be less than adequate."

Excess idling when cold is also bad for the engine. Raw gas can get in the oil if engine does not get fully warmed up.

Old 12-24-2022, 02:16 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,013,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
where it says:
"The amperage or current output of an alternator is more than adequate to power the vehicle and charge the battery as long as the vehicle is driving down the road. At idle, the current is lower and may be less than adequate."

Excess idling when cold is also bad for the engine. Raw gas can get in the oil if engine does not get fully warmed up.
Thank You! That makes sense.

Old 12-24-2022, 02:42 PM

1,877 posts, read 2,242,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
where it says:

And water can sludge the oil from excessive amounts of cold air not running through a warm engine cycle. As for the OP, it's best to run the car and drive somewhere to get the drive belt to turn the alternator at a faster RPM...idling would just be around 600-1,500rpm. If your car is garaged parked, you can hook up a battery tender every 3rd day or so to make sure the battery voltage doesn't drop too far. A digital battery tender can be bought on Amazon for like $10 these days.

Old 12-25-2022, 11:50 AM

10,337 posts, read 6,881,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
My car has been sitting undriven for more than 24 hrs in Below Zero wind chills. I'm concerned about the battery ( 4 yrs old, $160 ) in my 2012 Honda FIT. I've read conflicting reports about the effeciveness/dangers of starting it and idling the engine. Would like to hear back from someone who has actual experience with this issue. What are your recommendation? If YES, how long to let it idle.
Since you are located in an area that gets cold, and you have a battery that's 4 years old, I'd do a little preventative maintenance by replacing the battery, BEFORE you are stranded. If my life depended on a battery, 100% of the time, I'd be replacing it every 2-3 years.

If you're car doesn't get driven much, then I'd hook up a battery tender to it, for those down times.

As other posters mentioned above, it's NOT a good idea to let an engine "idle" with the hopes of charging up the battery. Now, if you drove the car for 45 minutes, THEN you'd have it hot enough, LONG ENOUGH to boil off the water condensation that is in your oil sump. But, beware, as the engine cools down, it'll start pulling humidity from the atmosphere and depositing the water vapor back into the oil pool once again.

It's a vicious circle we live...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura