Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 06:22 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,880,765 times

Advertisements

Also a lot of the 'good' SUV's are 'gas guzzlers'...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 11:56 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,209,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I also like how all SUVs are conflated together as if there's no practical difference between an Expedition and a RAV-4. Most "SUV" models on the market today are basically tall cars with unibody frames and the same V6 engines (sometimes even 4-cylinders) used in the same standard passenger car that the SUV shares a platform with.
i think most reasonable people can assume that the SUV being referred to in this context are the ones that guzzle excessively.

i do appreciate though, that some people need to have their hands held throughout the whole process of debate. i will no longer use the term SUV i will now use the term gas guzzler. by doing so every working man with a large truck required for work will respond and say that they need there trucks for work. at which point i will clarify that i wasn't referring to anyone who needed a big truck for work. at which point some mom will respond and say that she needs her excursion for the one time this season that she picks up the kids entire soccer team. at which point some............................

you get the picture? does nobody have any common sense?

Old 05-28-2008, 12:04 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
i think most reasonable people can assume that the SUV being referred to in this context are the ones that guzzle excessively.

i do appreciate though, that some people need to have their hands held throughout the whole process of debate. i will no longer use the term SUV i will now use the term gas guzzler. by doing so every working man with a large truck required for work will respond and say that they need there trucks for work. at which point i will clarify that i wasn't referring to anyone who needed a big truck for work. at which point some mom will respond and say that she needs her excursion for the one time this season that she picks up the kids entire soccer team. at which point some............................

you get the picture? does nobody have any common sense?
Not seeing much of it in your posts lately. If you're too lazy to actually speak with clarity, or if your positions can't be clarified because they're vague, rely on assumed premises and/or are just logically indefensible, that's your problem, not ours.

So what exactly is an SUV that "guzzles excessively" and by what right do you presume to be the arbiter of that distinction?

Old 05-28-2008, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Not seeing much of it in your posts lately. If you're too lazy to actually speak with clarity, or if your positions can't be clarified because they're vague, rely on assumed premises and/or are just logically indefensible, that's your problem, not ours.

So what exactly is an SUV that "guzzles excessively" and by what right do you presume to be the arbiter of that distinction?
read the title of the thread! if there is an SUV/truck/rv or anything else which gets 49mpg or anything close to it, COMMON SENSE would disqualify it from this discussion!

you seem to have a habit throwing blanket comments criticising ALL of someone else's posts. if you don't agree with a post, respond to that post!

Old 05-28-2008, 01:01 AM

Thanks for another common-sense post. You should run for office.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Thanks for another common-sense post. You should run for office.

out of work? i doubt you gonna get any here! last i checked most posters rely on some form form of common sense/assumption from readers.....as opposed to 20 pages of disclaimer along with their argument!

Old 05-28-2008, 01:38 AM

I'll even be your campaign manager.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:39 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
Thumbs up Gas Guzzler... OK... now we're getting somewhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post

i do appreciate though, that some people need to have their hands held throughout the whole process of debate. i will no longer use the term SUV i will now use the term gas guzzler.
OK... now we're getting somewhere... and for the record, I know very few people that own EPA classified Guzzlers... if any

Gas Guzzler is an official term used by the United States EPA to designate Vehicles that use excessive amounts of fuel per mile to operate...

Here is the Official link to the 2008 Standard listing all Guzzler vehicles:

http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/guzzler/420b07018.pdf (broken link)

Of the 103 listed Guzzlers... 14 are American (if you include the 5 made by Chrysler which is German owned)... so that leaves 89 imported Guzzlers.

Of the 89... 56 are German, 16 Italian and 15 are British. Honda and Nissan also made the list

So.... Americans are doing better than the Germans, Italians and British

Gotta Love American Ingenuity

Old 05-28-2008, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
OK... now we're getting somewhere... and for the record, I know very few people that own EPA classified Guzzlers... if any

Gas Guzzler is an official term used by the United States EPA to designate Vehicles that use excessive amounts of fuel per mile to operate...

Here is the Official link to the 2008 Standard listing all Guzzler vehicles:

http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/guzzler/420b07018.pdf (broken link)

Of the 103 listed Guzzlers... 14 are American (if you include the 5 made by Chrysler which is German owned)... so that leaves 89 imported Guzzlers.

Of the 89... 56 are German, 16 Italian and 15 are British. Honda and Nissan also made the list

So.... Americans are doing better than the Germans, Italians and British

Gotta Love American Ingenuity
nonsensical argument! no escalades, no yukons, no excursions? oh that is because they are all running around with 7 passengers!

give me a break!

we are going to have to curb our consumption one way or another. your type attitude is inviting regulation/legislation!

Old 05-28-2008, 06:32 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,880,765 times
So ANY vehicle getting less than 49mpg or anything close to it is a gas guzzler???

Could you define close to 49mpg?

Also do you see any distinction between passenger capacity of vehicles or should a 7 passenger get the same fuel economy as a 2 passenger?

Now it seems you find BIG SUVs to somehow be the issue.

Lets take a 2008 GMC Yukon 1500 2wd automatic.
14/20 mpg

Now lets look at the more sensible Nissan Pathfinder 2wd automatic.
13/18 mpg.

Comparing by class the most fuel efficient SUV is a Ford,the least fuel efficient is a Mercedes...

In fact, of the bottom five, only one is a domestic model,the rest are German...

Last edited by oz in SC; 05-28-2008 at 06:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura