Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 07:49 AM

11 posts, read 51,559 times

Advertisements

So I took my 2011 Honda in for oil change yesterday and was told I need trans fluid changed ( have about 27,000 miles). The charge was $229 with the labor costing $156 =:0. Is this normal to be charged this much for this service? Thanks for input
brit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 07:57 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,225,391 times
Not surprised ever since a Honda dealer tried to charge me $80 for cabin air filter change.

Unless they are doing a 3x3 tranny fluid change or a flush (which I would be wrong but I don't think many Honda dealers do), they are pretty much overcharging you.
Try a independent shop and it will be significantly less.

To my understanding, the filter for the tranny on a Honda is a "non-serviceable" one so for a tranny fluid change, all they are doing is drain and fill.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:51 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit1 View Post
So I took my 2011 Honda in for oil change yesterday and was told I need trans fluid changed ( have about 27,000 miles). The charge was $229 with the labor costing $156 =:0. Is this normal to be charged this much for this service? Thanks for input
brit

You got ripped off. Last time I took my Honda Accord into the only dealer here in Asheville, it was for a fix for a recall on the power steering cable that has to be done by the dealer at no charge. I walked out of there with over $600 "recommended" and "immediate" attention issues according to their "28 point inspection" or whatever they call it. NONE of which were necessary. I have a fabulous private garage that takes care of my car, so I took the paperwork to them because I had just had alignment checked, oil, filters as needed, tires rotated 'n balanced and so on just 2 wks before. When I walked through the door, the owner saw what I had in my hand he knew exactly what he was going to see on that sheet. ALL of the items were either unnecessary or had already been taken care of by my garage guy in prep for the spring etc.

This is not the first time with this issue with that dealer either. First time, I reported them to Honda directly; getting ready to do it again. Love my Honda, but avoid that dealer like the plague.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:05 AM

670 posts, read 1,441,079 times
Tell that dealer to pound sand. You're fine for a couple of more years at least.

Edit: Thought that was what they quoted you. Like mentioned, you got screwed, live and learn I guess.

Last edited by texsn95; 02-26-2014 at 10:16 AM..

Old 02-26-2014, 10:09 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,759 times
You got robbed my friend. Ain't no way someone should pay over $200 for a Honda trans service when all they're usually doing is a drain and fill. I am not sure how many quarts of oil your 2011 takes, but 3 quarts drained out is the typical amount. At $7-8 a quart of trans fluid it should of only cost around $24 for the oil, and $50 at the most for labor if you can't do it yourself.

The job is extremely easy, it's pretty much like changing your engine oil on your car, so yeah they made a killing off you unfortunately. This is why going to dealers for basic maintenance is the LAST place you want to go, as they charge a premium for no reason.

A good reputable independent repair shop can do the job for more than half that price.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:17 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Sounds like an unscrupulous service advisor saw an opportunity. What a scumbag.

Quote:
My spouse is 90 and sadly has some dementia. Prior to this he mentioned that he was going to find out what to do about money in IRA accounts. I do have POA. He has a couple of IRA accounts. Not sure how to deal with them, can they be inherited or do they have to be fully withdrawn. Thanks for info. brit

Old 02-26-2014, 04:45 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Quote:
brit

What did your Maintenance Minder say? You know what I am talking about, right? Did it say to do this?

http://owners.honda.com/service-maintenance/minder?year=2011&model=Accord-Coupe#mid^CS2B8BKNW

Old 02-26-2014, 07:08 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,054,484 times
^^^ Absolutely right! With the newer Hondas, the Maintenance Minder will tell you what service you need. It's either a letter "A" or a "B" with a number that comes on along with the yellow "wrench" light. What Maintenance Minder code did you have? Unless you had that specific code on, then they were definitely pushing an unnecessary service on you.. Also their price is outrageous! My local Honda Dealer charges $80.00 for a transmission drain and fill....

Read your manual about the Maintenance Minder and the various codes and what each means....

Old 02-26-2014, 09:33 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Q: How do I operate the system?
A: The Honda Maintenance Minder is very easy to use. As the on-board computer continuously monitors your vehicle, it provides continuous information on the remaining engine oil life left - simply depress the Select/Reset knob on the information display and you will see use progression.
When the on-board computer determines that your vehicle has reached 15% of remaining life, it will turn on the Maintenance Minder light for you. In addition, each time the vehicle is started; the information center will default and automatically display the percentage of remaining life. To return to the odometer/tripometer, simply depress the Select/Reset knob.

The following chart will explain exactly when service is due:
Oil Life %

Service Due Soon
Plan to take your vehicle in for service.
]5%
Service Due Now
Take your vehicle in now for maintenance.
0%
Service Past Due
Service is overdue. Take your vehicle in now.

Q: What happens to the Maintenance Minder if I do not perform maintenance when the remaining life gets to 0%?
A: If you do not perform the recommended maintenance the display will start to show negative mileage. This indicates how many miles that the vehicle is past due for service.
Q: Along with the and the percentage of remaining life, there is a letter and sometimes, a number displayed - what do they mean?
A: All maintenance items in the display are in code. There are two codes: Main-codes and Sub-codes. Your vehicle will always be due for a main code, and at times for a sub-code. Please refer to your owner's manual, Honda Service History booklet, and the following chart to interpret the code:

Main Code
What it means:
A
Replace just the engine oil
B
Replace the engine oil, oil filter, rotate the tires, inspect the front and rear brakes, check the parking brake adjustment, and inspect other items specific to your vehicle
Sub Code
What it means:
Rotate the Tires
Replace the air cleaner element, check the drive belt, and replace the dust and pollen filter
Replace the transmission fluid and transfer fluid (if equipped)
Replace the spark plugs, replace the timing belt (if equipped), inspect the water pump, and inspect valve clearance
Replace the engine coolant
Replace the rear differential fluid (if equipped)

Curry Honda Atlanta | New Honda dealership in Chamblee, GA 30341

Old 02-27-2014, 06:41 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,785,881 times
The book time calls for 0.5 hour and 2.6 quarts of Honda ATF DW-1 (Automatic Transmission Fluid) so yes it was high for only having the trans drained and refilled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura