Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 10:47 AM

664 posts, read 1,950,965 times

Advertisements

Could you stack the washer and dryer? I'm assuming they are front loaders since you talking about pedistals for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 10:49 AM

109 posts, read 659,743 times
I could stack them, rather not as they would block the window, and that would not solve the problem of bending over really low to do laundry.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:52 AM

664 posts, read 1,950,965 times
^^^ True. We just bought new front loaders and I did not buy the pedistals with them, they wanted another 250 each. But I can see now how someone with trouble beding over would be an issue. I like the look of the pedistals, they make the w/d look really grand. I am so afraid to buy them though, we move every 2-3 years (Navy) so I know the second we bough them, we would move somewhere where they would be stacked!!! I have to say though I really love the front loaders, wish we had bought them before they are worth every penny from savig money in water to saving money on detergent!!!

Old 02-11-2010, 10:53 AM

11,180 posts, read 10,762,587 times
One thing to remember on the furnace, keep at least 10" clearance if you are building walls around it for safety reasons.

The pre-made cabinets would probably work in your situation, but you can find them cheaper than in the big box stores. Check with local cabinet shops, and look for a reuse center in your area.

Not sure if the LG pedestals fit all w/d combos, but I would doubt it. Check the width and depth measurements on the washer and dryer and then check the width and depth on the pedestal to make sure. A little too wide is okay, a little too narrow is bad. lol

Buying used, $100 for the pair isn't bad, actually. In fairness to the seller, I'd offer at least $75 for the pair. And you'd be getting them for a steal at that.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:01 AM

The pedestals are the same depth and with of my washer/dryer so I think it will work. I'm waiting to see what the seller says for price. He/she's had 3 people interested, but getting people to show up in this area is like finding a needle in a hay stack. I offered $50 since I need to paint them and they live about 1.5 hours from me. If they say no I told them I understand. But if I can build it for $50, I rather go that way. I also have a whole sheet of 3/4" plywood and a few 2x4s laying around. Also have to paint and primer now that I think about it. :-)

In regards to the furnace, 10" isn't going to happen. :-) I dont plan on doing a permanent wall. Thats why I was thinking of making an accordion door made of wood, maybe one that has slats in it already? And then fix them to a track like a closet but some how get them to go all the way around in an L shape. There must be a way to hide that ugly beast. No point in doing all that work if thats what I'm going to see every time I enter or leave the room.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:12 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,190,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureBettyCrocker View Post
In regards to the furnace, 10" isn't going to happen. :-) I dont plan on doing a permanent wall. Thats why I was thinking of making an accordion door made of wood, maybe one that has slats in it already? And then fix them to a track like a closet but some how get them to go all the way around in an L shape. There must be a way to hide that ugly beast. No point in doing all that work if thats what I'm going to see every time I enter or leave the room.
You could leave 10 in. around the furnace (i.e. the brown metal box) but put drywall right next to the galvanized sheet metal vent and leave enough room to walk to the door. Why not do a permanent wall? I would hide the ugly equipment and provide some sound barrier, too.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:24 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,302,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
You could leave 10 in. around the furnace (i.e. the brown metal box) but put drywall right next to the galvanized sheet metal vent and leave enough room to walk to the door.
I was thinking about some sort of metal mesh wall that allows airflow and isn't flamable.

http://img.archiexpo.com/images_ae/p...all-159863.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
Why not do a permanent wall? I would hide the ugly equipment and provide some sound barrier, too.
I suspect they are thinking of access if it needs to be serviced.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:20 AM

27 posts, read 130,389 times
Your furnace needs airflow to operate safely. Completely closing it up will cause a build-up of CO2 which will recirculate through your furnance and house. Maybe a louvered door to assist with that? Our furnace was closed in and we have to leave the door open so that it has airflow.....At least that's what our HVAC guy said!

Old 02-12-2010, 02:21 PM

Yes Coddie and Hopes, those are the reasons why I'm not going to permanently close it off. I figure there will be a small space on the top and bottom of what ever kind of door I figure out. I was thinking of lattice but the holes are too big and I dont want it to look stupid. I love that mesh wall idea, but seeing to many $$$.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:12 AM

So I think what I'm going to do is buy something like lattice that has much much smaller holes and cut 2 large pieces and have them on a track where they can be pulled out when maintenance is needed. Just have to find the materials.

I went to a few stores today to get an idea on cabinet price and think I could save a tun of money just making them myself. I'm thinking that instead of making several cabinets that I could make 1 long one for each the base and wall cabinets. Looks like all I would have to do is make a box and doors. I would just make simple shaker doors or a flat door with molding on it. Has any one attempted this before?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating