Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2009, 06:57 AM
bay bay started this thread

425 posts, read 2,925,320 times

Advertisements

Need some advice on the fireplace. We have 2 fireplaces in the house. One is in the front living room and the other in the back Den area (with vaulted ceiling). We are in the process of remodeling the house. The fireplace in Den area was covered by a poorly DIY build-in book shelf. Now we have 2 options.

1. Rebuild the build in around fireplace
2. Re do the brick (maybe with stone brick)

The GC gave us the quote for 2000 to rebuild the build-in. Chimney guy gave us the quote 1750 to redo the decorative brick of the fireplace and fix a minor issue in the chimney.

For us, we might not even use the fireplace at all and we do not have basement for storage so that I vote for build-in. My husband vote for redoing the brick since he likes more clean feeling on the wall (he does not even want to hang a picture on the wall). Besides, the chimney guy will help to fix some minor chimney issue if we decide to let him redo the brick. Probably can save couple hundred dollars on this.

Here I would like to ask everyone's opinion on this. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 04:07 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
Brick has more resale value. I would do that and find another way to create storage (preferably one that also increases resale value).

It might help in working with contractors if you use the correct term: built-in

Old 12-05-2009, 04:10 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,321 times
I would go with the practical yet not exciting fix on the chimney and refacing of the brick. It is kind of hard though to make a choice without seeing any pictures, but usually I always go for safety (chimney issue) rather than just doing aesthetic work that ignores the safety. Of course in a perfect world where we are all made of money, it would be to do both.

any chance of you posting pictures? That would certainly help for responses.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:05 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,507,013 times
I would definitely re-do the brick so that it looks original. Almost everyone likes a nice fireplace but not everyone likes built-ins.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:41 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
Quote:
QUOTE=bay;11898885]For us, we might not even use the fireplace at all and we do not have basement for storage so that I vote for build-in. My husband vote for redoing the brick since he likes more clean feeling on the wall (he does not even want to hang a picture on the wall). Besides, the chimney guy will help to fix some minor chimney issue if we decide to let him redo the brick. Probably can save couple hundred dollars on this.

Here I would like to ask everyone's opinion on this. Thanks![/QUOTE)
I'd go with fixing the brick as well. Function and safety first. You can aways add style and storage later.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:00 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
Default we want to see

Pictures please? Hard to imagine even with the good description. Sounds like a couple of fun projects though . . . .

Old 12-07-2009, 06:10 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
I'm always for wood. Wood is too beautiful and should always come before brick. Here is an example what I do with fireplaces. I like to make it part of the TV, it should all be one experience. I want the fireplace to be in your peripheral vision when you are watching TV. This was one of my very special designs.
Attached Thumbnails
Fireplace - Build in Book shelf or remodel brick-roseti.jpg  

Old 12-07-2009, 07:20 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I'm always for wood. Wood is too beautiful and should always come before brick. Here is an example what I do with fireplaces. I like to make it part of the TV, it should all be one experience. I want the fireplace to be in your peripheral vision when you are watching TV. This was one of my very special designs.
How beautiful! Even if someone doesn't prefer this style of work for their fireplace, it is very, very nice. Good job and great suggestion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating