Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2009, 08:14 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,148,745 times

Advertisements

Okay, I need your help. We are in the process of redoing the dining room. It's only taken almost two years, but that's another post. I have stripped the wallpaper, painted, put in simple pleated shades (needed to keep the sun out during the afternoon) gotten a new rug and replaced the chandelier and furniture. PHEW!

My concern is how to do drapes. I know many will say I shouldn't use them, but I think it needs a little something to soften the look. The pictures below are BEFORE any of the changes; it's all I had stored in the computer. I am considering putting just short decorator rods on the sides of the wall to frame the window and calling it a day. If you have any ideas, please let me know and even better, post pics so I can see what you did.

Thanks so much!
Attached Thumbnails
Need help with window treatments for bay/box window with seat-dining-room.jpg   Need help with window treatments for bay/box window with seat-dining-room-3.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 09:34 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,985,951 times
How about sheers? maybe lace?
It looks like you don't need privacy - if that's the case maybe just a valance.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:11 PM

44 posts, read 238,747 times
I think panels on each side with a decorative rod is the way to go as well. If you don't need light control or privacy then I would just stop at the panels.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:13 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
I wouldn't put up too much of anything in the windows. The windows are very unique and I would hate to hid them. I agree with some shears or lace. If you want more color, a simple valance would work. I wouldn't put anything on the side windows.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:16 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
I agree that you shouldn't put too much on the windows. I wouldn't put sheers either. It's a bench. The sheers will detract from the pretty window and the usefulnesss of the bench.

Some type of heavy elegantly draped valance would be the best solution. It would provide classic structure but leave the windows and seating area free of obstruction. You can get as formal as you want with rich fabrics.

What colors are you using in the room. I'll find some examples of some really fantastic valances that will provide you with elegance, weight but still keep the windows and seating area free.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:38 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,324,254 times
The windows are gorgeous however, if you have to have something. I would go for a cornice along the top of the window. Witdth to come a little below the trim. Depending on your room color you can go solid or print.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:35 AM

50,349 posts, read 63,928,555 times
I would go with either a semi-sheer soft, roman shade on the large window only, or a drape on a rod that runs in front of the whole window seat. The open drapes will frame the window most of the time and when you close them they'll make the room more intimate. If I used my dining room more at night than during the day, I would like the cozyness of the drapes. If I used it more during the day, then I would go with the first idea.
I personally hate valences. To me, they look like uni-brows and have no reason for being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating