Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2009, 06:32 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,411,735 times

Advertisements

We are in the process of remodeling an entire house. We bought dark cherry cabinets for the kitchen with stainless steel appliances. We will get a neutral beigey granite for the counter tops. Sorry I hate granite so I am not hip on the color choices. Anyway, the kitchen is in the middle of the house with a completely open floor plan. You walk into the LR, the kitchen and dining area is next, and then there is a back den area. Everything will be in full view. There is a lot of light in the house.

So here is the dilemma for a designer flunkie like me. What kind of floor would you put in? We are thinking of going with real wood but we have no idea about the color. My DH and I both really like a darker wood but it might be too dark although it gives it a warm feel.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 06:43 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,365,924 times
I really like Brazilian Cherry. We had planned to use that because you have different color tones and doesn't look so dark. However, we will probably use an oak because the darker woods, as much as I like them, show dust and dirt more. We have two dogs and a cat and I just don't have the time to spend doing the floors several times a day. It is not an easy decision to make so good luck.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:03 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,647,185 times
Match it to the dirt outside. LOL

Lisa, I really cannot help you with this because I like white cabinets and I just can't think in that direction. I had brown cabinets for years but when I redecorated a couple of years back, I painted the cabinets white and love it. I think you would probably do better to stay in the beige family close to the countertop color.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:50 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,430,831 times
I love the look of dark cherry cabinets and a dark wood kitchen floor, such as Brazilian cherry. It is quite warm. By using a light colored granite and a light creamy tile backsplash, this will brighten things up. Additionally, painting the walls a lighter color (such as sage, warm gold/yellow, things will "pop".

Old 11-23-2009, 11:28 AM

890 posts, read 2,786,941 times
I went with light colored maple flooring because my granite counter is black galaxy, and my cabinets are dark maple. Hardwood floors are easier for me to clean, compared to carpet.

Although the plastic - prego type of flooring looks nice as well, but I'm not sure how it would look 5+ years down the line after the plastic gets scratched. 6 years in, I still love my floor. Sure there are scratches from having kids: toddlers, tweens, and teenage. But overall it still looks clean, and I just use swifter dry mostly and occasional wet swifter. A dry hardwood vaccuum also sometimes.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:25 PM

455 posts, read 979,988 times
Hi Lisa. Found this post after following your Off the Grid thread. I've always liked a lighter color wood floor with Cherry cabinets. Here's a pic I found online similar to what you describe with the light granite and lighter wood floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating