Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 08:18 AM

146 posts, read 625,890 times

Advertisements

Our living room will have light gold yellow sofa and chair. There will be an accent chair in dark red with cream/specks (looks gold). The walls are a very pale yellow (Windham Cream). I will add red throw pillows on the sofa. Hardwood floors (blond/light wood).

I'm at a loss on what should be the dominant colors in the rug. We'll likely get a persian rug, but should I go darker for contrast (burgundies, dark colors) or neutral like cream so as not to compete with the red? Room gets a lot of light..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 08:23 AM
ECG

42,606 posts, read 2,745,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jubileefd View Post
Our living room will have light gold yellow sofa and chair. There will be an accent chair in dark red with cream/specks (looks gold). The walls are a very pale yellow (Windham Cream). I will add red throw pillows on the sofa. Hardwood floors (blond/light wood).

I'm at a loss on what should be the dominant colors in the rug. We'll likely get a persian rug, but should I go darker for contrast (burgundies, dark colors) or neutral like cream so as not to compete with the red? Room gets a lot of light..

I would definatly go with the darker colors so it can pick your dominant colors of the room and give it a nice contrast.

The lighter tones with make the room Blah!!

Old 03-10-2009, 08:36 AM

thanks, that's what I needed to hear b/c i'm a bit scared of color so always shy away from it. Don't want blah!!

Old 03-10-2009, 08:36 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
I would make sure the rug has some black in it and do think about adding touches of black in your room to give your room some weight - everything is sounding very "light" right now - the red will help but the addition of black will be of additional help - the red is a high contrast color with all the paleness so I think you need some additional support for that red - like touches of black. Maybe a rug with black background and gold, sage green, dark red in the pattern. Think about adding a little black in your throw pillows, lamp shades, etc....the walls sound too light and cold to me...pale yellow seems like a little girl's room color not a living room color (especially with the red chair) but maybe I'm not understanding what look you are going for - would love to see pictures of what you are doing.

Last edited by Cattknap; 03-10-2009 at 08:45 AM..

Old 03-10-2009, 09:00 AM

The pale yellow walls are closer to cream and actually a warm color, but is very light. The BM rep advised choosing a yellow lighter than the sofa to make it stand out.

anyway, i've attached some photos. First is the fabric of the accent chair (and could be for pillows as well). 2nd is the sofa in pale yellow, although in person it's more gold. 3rd and 4th are other fabric options for pillows. I wanted to attach a final photo that was my inspiration, but already attached in previous thread, so won't allow me. Basically it's the cover of Traditional Home Nov 08. Hope I'm not making a big mistake in my color scheme here!
Attached Thumbnails
what color rug?-fabric1.jpg   what color rug?-mira.jpg   what color rug?-fabric2.jpg   what color rug?-fabric3.jpg  

Old 03-10-2009, 09:21 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
Your choices are just beautiful - all warm colors - BM makes some beautiful warm taupy/tan colors - all those warm colored fabrics on pale yellow walls when you have no pale yellow in your fabrics? - I just don't see it....I'll try to find your other post - your choices of fabrics are just lovely

Old 03-10-2009, 09:31 AM

Thanks! Well the sofa is pale yellow, but runs gold. So the lighter pale yellow wall (which is quite creamy, kind of buttery) was supposedly to allow for the sofa to stand out. I was open to cream, yellows and tans and the BM rep recommeded the BM Windham Cream, which does run pale yellow, but is still warm.

Any thoughts on which of those fabrics for throw pillows would go well on the yellow sofa? The first might be too matchy matchy with the wing chair (same fabric).

Thanks for all your feedback--I'm going to look for a darker rug with burgundies and some blacks.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:11 PM

6 posts, read 44,491 times
I would go with dark one, i just imagine that it would look better, but to be 100% safe, you probably can just buy different colors to try out and let the store know that you are going to return one, but u will buy one for sure

Old 03-18-2009, 04:52 AM

128 posts, read 1,070,599 times
Going for the darker one is a sensible decision. As you have mentioned light colored floor also. choosing something light would not be the right choice.

Jeanne

Old 03-18-2009, 07:12 AM

Thanks all. Going to try a darker rug--I found a reasonable persian one which is predominately black but has rust red, ivory, beige, dark blue in there as well. Figure the red's there, and yellow and ivory are close enough. It's reasonable enough that I won't feel awful if we switch it out in a few years. If it's horrendous, of course we can always return. Thanks all, hoping it all flows!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating