Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 06:55 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,149,303 times

Advertisements

Okay, this is kind of a follow-up question to the posts on selecting foyer paint colors.

We are finally getting around to painting the living room. It has pine tongue-and-groove paneling up to the chair rail, wooden beams (8 foot ceilings), crown molding, and matching built-ins that flank the brick fireplace. We just painted the small area above the mantel BM Confederate Red. For the wall (above the chair rail) I was originally going to go with the Philadelphia Cream, but agree with NovaMom that it has too much yellow in it.

Has anyone used the Shaker Beige and any chance you could post a photo. I am going to head over to BM tomorrow to see if I can find a color that might work.

Thanks for any help you can give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 08:50 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,314,460 times
We have it in our sons room and in our bathroom. I love it in my sons room. (Hate it in my bathroom but that is b/c the previous owners painted over green and didn't use a primer)
How do you post pictures? I would be happy to show you my sons room.
I know a website that shows a home in Shaker Beige in the foyer. (I know this b/c my painted did it and told me.) Here is the link
Kris' Painting Service, Inc.
The foyer there on the main page is it

Old 11-24-2008, 11:14 AM

Okay, I took some photos and hopefully they will upload correctly.

The first is the living room before painting, sometime before Easter judging from the decorations on the fireplace.

The second is after painting the wall above the fireplace and adding the shutters.

The third are the paint samples. One is Philadelphia Cream, the other is Powell Buff and the other is Shaker Beige.

I am pretty certain I have ruled out one and am now torn between the other two. What do you folks think??
Attached Thumbnails
Has anyone used Shaker Beige??-living-room.jpg   Has anyone used Shaker Beige??-p1010448.jpg   Has anyone used Shaker Beige??-living-room-paint-samples.jpg  

Old 11-24-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
We have it in our sons room and in our bathroom. I love it in my sons room. (Hate it in my bathroom but that is b/c the previous owners painted over green and didn't use a primer)
How do you post pictures? I would be happy to show you my sons room.
I know a website that shows a home in Shaker Beige in the foyer. (I know this b/c my painted did it and told me.) Here is the link
Kris' Painting Service, Inc.
The foyer there on the main page is it
To post a photo you have to use the advanced reply option and then go down to the manage attachments area. You can then browse your files and upload the picture.

I liked the Shaker Beige on the link, but that foyer has a lot of light and the white trim lightens it up. I am just scared that the wood trim in my room will darken it too much.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:11 PM

522 posts, read 1,584,627 times
I like the top and bottom colors. I think I prefer the bottom color but either way it will look nice.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:08 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,314,460 times
I have Powell Buff in my foyer and love it...very warm. We don't get a lot of light either, so that is why I like it so much

Old 11-25-2008, 12:50 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
I love shaker beige and have it in my entry, upstairs landing and walk-out basement - it is a perfect neutral color that goes beautifully with many colors. If you are using it in an area that gets a lot of use, try the BM Regal Matte.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:51 AM

Why do you like the Matte versus Eggshell?

Old 11-25-2008, 08:07 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
I prefer as flat a paint as possible - the Regal Matte only comes in Matte - that is its claim to fame - that it is matte but looks flat and is washable (and it is washable - that is why we love it).....I don't care for any sheen in any room other than perhaps a bathroom or on trim - I even use flat in my kitchen....the shinier the paint the more the wall inperfections show. Flat paint can be touched up beautifully and you never know it - but any shine in a paint prevents that. I change my artwork frequently and fill and sand the nail holes and paint - you would never know there had been any nail holes. The problem with traditiional flat paint is that it isn't very washable - that is what makes the Regal Matte so nice - a flat look and it is washable (and repairable).

Old 11-30-2008, 06:12 PM

648 posts, read 3,090,224 times
i like the top sample and the middle sample. i think the bottom color is kind of dark considering the dark wood and dark bricks in the room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating