Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2008, 04:58 PM

314 posts, read 1,278,557 times

Advertisements

Has anyone done this? is this a big job? I am thinking of removing the interior doors and taking them one by one outside for the job, then, as much as I hate to do it, remove the old glass doorknobs for new ones that function well...the old ones look great, but they are a constant battle.

anyway, what do you think would be the best paint remover?...for both doors and baseboard and molding trim?

if you have removed paint like this, was it as big a job as I think it will be? I would love to get the 80 years of caked on paint and either stain all the woodwork or just properly repaint.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 06:16 PM

625 posts, read 1,587,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meadgrad View Post
Has anyone done this? is this a big job? I am thinking of removing the interior doors and taking them one by one outside for the job, then, as much as I hate to do it, remove the old glass doorknobs for new ones that function well...the old ones look great, but they are a constant battle.

anyway, what do you think would be the best paint remover?...for both doors and baseboard and molding trim?

if you have removed paint like this, was it as big a job as I think it will be? I would love to get the 80 years of caked on paint and either stain all the woodwork or just properly repaint.

Thanks!
"I have professionally for years":without seeing it is impossible to consult. I will say it is no afternoon job. Find a pro in the area who will give some advice. There is usually at least one or two around that will advise you, pro gratis. They usually don't mind because they know they will often end up completing a partially finished job or getting some future work as return for their expert consultation.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:39 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,999,239 times
(See my responses inside your quoted text)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadgrad View Post
Has anyone done this? is this a big job? YES IT IS. I am thinking of removing the interior doors and taking them one by one outside for the job, then, as much as I hate to do it, remove the old glass doorknobs for new ones that function well...the old ones look great, but they are a constant battle. DEPENDING ON THE DESIGN OF THE OLD GLASS KNOBS, YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO REUSE THEM WITH NEW MECHANISMS.
anyway, what do you think would be the best paint remover?...for both doors and baseboard and molding trim? I'VE NOT FOUND ANY PERFECT PRODUCT. WE STARTED REMOVING PAINT FROM A STAIRWAY USING CHEMICALS AND HEAT, AND NEITHER WERE EASY NOR TOTALLY EFFECTIVE. AFTER ONE WEEKEND AND ONLY GETTING THREE STAIRS SORT OF STRIPPED, WE GAVE UP.
if you have removed paint like this, was it as big a job as I think it will be? I would love to get the 80 years of caked on paint and either stain all the woodwork or just properly repaint. GOODNESS I DO KNOW HOW YOU FEEL AND I SOUND LIKE SUCH A NEGATIVE DEFLATIONIST! YES, IT IS A POSSIBLE PROJECT IF YOU KNOW UPFRONT THAT IT WILL TAKE TIME AND MUSCLE, BUT IF YOU HAVE THOSE THE PROJECT WOULD BE WORTH IT IN THE END.
Thanks!

Old 10-26-2008, 09:13 PM

83 posts, read 259,585 times
yeah seeking professional help will surely help you a lot.. there's no harm in trying to consult one..

Old 10-27-2008, 08:58 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,121,647 times
Knobs (http://www.restorationhardware.com/rh/catalog/category/category_w_4products.jsp?navSrc=leftNav&navAction= jump&navCount=1&categoryId=cat1512021 - broken link)

Antique Door Knobs Reproduced in Glass, Acrylic, Brass & Crystal Hardware
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating