Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 07:25 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,736,186 times

Advertisements

For the first time, I am going to be able to pick paint colors for my rooms (I have always lived in an apartment).
Well, I am overwhelmed and changing my mind every two seconds :P So, I am seeking the opinions of others!!

So, I would like to know what color would look good in my living room. My living room furniture is a camel color and my entertainment center is a dark cherry color. Pretty neutral. The kitchen is next to it and is going to be painted a soft green- seafoam like color. Carpet will be neutral as well- about the color of the carpet in the pictures.

My things are very neutral which is why I don't want to paint my living room neutral.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 05:25 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,428,752 times
Your furniture and carpet are very neutral and that gives you a wide variety of color choices. What colors do you like? A green palette would like very nice - sages, khaki etc. If you don't want green, you could also go with something warm like a gold/maize. Once you choose the wall color, I would then suggest a couple of accents to bring a "second pop of color" to the room - accents like throw pillows, wall art etc.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:50 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times
If you have decided on the color for your kitchen, then go w/ a color very similar but just a bit darker or richer for your living room. This will tie things together, and will keep a "flow" going. Then, do as LJD said and find some accessories, such as pillows, that will pick up the darker shade of green. We are not talking MUCH darker here. If you look at your paint chips for the kitchen, there will be others that are in the same family but just a bit darker. That is what to do w/ - something in the same family - just a bit more pigment. Some pillows in that color will definitely spark up your neutral sofa and pull things together.

Here are places to go to find pillows at a good price: Tuesday Morning, Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Target . . . and you may have luck at any other department store that has home accessories, such as Dillards, Belk, Macy's, JC Penney . . . especially when things are on sale. Value City may have items, too . . . just drop in w/ your paint chips and see what appeals to you! I am sure there are other stores as well - those were just some to get your started - and I myself have found I find beautiful pillows at the first 3 places I mentioned - Tues Morning, Marshalls and TJ Maxx. Remember - each of those stores will have different things so checking out several will NOT duplicate your efforts.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:52 AM

93 posts, read 305,418 times
If your kitchen is visible from the living room, you can look at the paint chip of your seafoam green and I would pick the darkest color on there for your living room. Another option is to go to the complete opposite on the color wheel, which in this case is in the red/orange family, though I personally wouldn't do that because of your dark furniture.

There are so many variations of seafoam green, some look almost sage and have more green in them, while others look almost turquoise and are more blue. Which is yours?

Old 10-05-2008, 02:18 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,651,433 times
you should look at some of the things you own. anything that really speaks to you..some special painting, item of clothing, comforter etc. look at the colors that are contained in your special item. there is usually an indication of what you really like. pick one of the colors that are contained in your special, favorite thing. almost anything you choose should go with your neutral furniture and carpet!

Old 10-07-2008, 05:31 AM

822 posts, read 3,004,098 times
I agree with all of these posts, but I like the strategy in the last one. For my house, I found a fabric that I loved - soft green with beautiful dark pink roses. Then I painted my house to coordinate with the fabric: kitchen and family room in soft light green (Light Lichen); dining room in dark olive green (Ralph Lauren something - tons of compliments) and my living room in a dark merlot (Valspar something). Then I made drapes and table covers out of the fabric. I really like the Olympic paint display at Lowe's - they have a nice way of marketing coordinating colors - if you go there you'll see what I mean - the little booklets, etc. Anyhow, based on your photos, I'd shy away from neutrals in the living room area and find something bright, maybe contrasting.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:09 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,148,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
For the first time, I am going to be able to pick paint colors for my rooms (I have always lived in an apartment).
Well, I am overwhelmed and changing my mind every two seconds :P So, I am seeking the opinions of others!!

So, I would like to know what color would look good in my living room. My living room furniture is a camel color and my entertainment center is a dark cherry color. Pretty neutral. The kitchen is next to it and is going to be painted a soft green- seafoam like color. Carpet will be neutral as well- about the color of the carpet in the pictures.

My things are very neutral which is why I don't want to paint my living room neutral.

Honey, that's not neutral - that's comatose.

Go for bright, primary colors. Rich, royal blue, grass green, lemon yellow. (not all in the same room, however LOL). You need some LIFE - COLOR in there.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-11-2008, 07:50 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,060,431 times
Your choice of colors will be a reflection of your personality; and not knowing you, it's not easy to pick colors for you. Some prefer earth-tones or more low-keyed hues; while others prefer bright/splashy colors. It's all relative.

Go with colors that you feel comfortable around; it's your home and you are the one who will be surrounded by the color schemes.

I agree with OPs that whatever colors you select, they shouldn't clash with the decor in adjoining rooms.

Old 10-12-2008, 02:00 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,034,538 times
As others have said, get some bright colorful fabrics going in there. They should contain the green that is in your kitchen. Then work off of the other colors in the fabric.
A decorator book I read once said that she has her clients go to a fabric store and get swatches of 4-6 fabrics that you strongly LOVE. Don't overthink it. Pay no attention to whether or not they go with anything you have, or if they go with each other.
When you do this, chances are you will see clearly the pallet you are most drawn to and it will help steer you to decor you are comfortable with.
When I tried this, I found that most of the colors in the fabrics turned out to be compatible with each other. The end result was in my house I have a common thread that runs through the rooms and gives the whole house cohesiveness.

Old 10-12-2008, 02:47 PM

58 posts, read 193,244 times
Terra Cotta is a warm, full color that would look fabulous with the dark wood of the entertainment center and the shade of the sofa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating