Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 09:15 PM

2 posts, read 7,964 times

Advertisements

I am wanting to decorate my bedroom with a red and black color scheme. I'm thinking either paint the walls black and red with black furniture. Or paint it all red with black furniture. Which would be a better idea? If both red and black on the wall is the better idea, which should be on top and bottom? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 09:23 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,620,272 times
You may want to google the idea of the color of the bedroom and the quality of sleep one gets before going to those colors.

I recently saw a "staging to sale" type program on HGTV. The home was too busy and looked like it was decorated for a party. So they toned down the living area to make it more normal. Then they went into the master bedroom and made all kinds of fun because it was too plain. The lady of the house had evidently done her homework. Her life was a party until she decided to go to sleep. The bedroom was properly in quiet paint tones in relaxing colors.

Sometimes I wonder about those people who decorate on these programs.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:14 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,312,651 times
Neither one would be a good idea if you're planning to sell the house any time in the near future.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:30 PM

2 posts, read 7,964 times
good point both of you. jujesgrrl, i actually gave that some thought. thats why i'm not exactly painting it on the wall. i was thinking paintable wallpaper or just plain wallpaper. thank you for your opinions!

Old 01-23-2011, 11:33 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,138,288 times
I personally have seen two bedrooms painted black and it looked awesome! When I was told about it, my first thought was ewww. But seeing in person I was impressed. The paint was in eggshell finish so it was not shiny nor too chalky looking. The trim was white. The bedroom set was white and the bedding was red and white. The house was older so it had a lot of really cool architectural details such as heavy crown molding, large windows and so forth. So all the white trim broke up the black quite a bit. They hung a chandelier over the bed and it added even more charm. The room felt soft and cozy.

The second room was a kids bedroom and painted in that chalkboard paint. The room again was in an older home with lots of detail. The room was large also. I think what made it work was the room size in that instance because of all the chalk drawings on the walls from the kids.

When my son was younger I painted his bedroom a fire engine red. It was again and older home and one wall was a complete set of built in drawers painted white. So pretty much I think it works best when the room has other visual interest however, if you are into super modern then it can work as well. It has to be done right though. All or nothing.

Here are some ideas

5 Black Bedrooms We Love | Apartment Therapy New York

Red Master Bedroom : Sensible Chic : Home & Garden Television (http://www.hgtv.com/sensible-chic/red-master-bedroom/index.html - broken link)

Old 01-24-2011, 01:20 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,807,106 times
I did a bedroom up once with a deep red on the walls and painted all the trim black as well as the doors. Also used contemporaneity black furniture and it think it turned out extremely well. It's bold and not for everyone, but if that's your style i'm sure you will really like it. Also don't sweat painting all that much. If you need to sell, all it takes is an afternoon and not all that much $$ to repaint, really not all the big of a deal.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:09 AM

1,174 posts, read 6,942,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
my first thought was ewww.
That's still my thought . . . EWWWWWWWWWW!

However, it doesn't matter what I think. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. It only matters what you think. You're going to invest the time and money to do it. You're going to live with it. If you like it, then that is all that matters.

On the other hand, asking about the "bold" colors tends to show that you're questioning your idea. That should be a caution for you. You might end up regretting it, although the fix will be simple - just more time and money.

Good luck.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:07 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,428,112 times
How about mainly neutral walls , with a red or black accent wall?
Neutral could be a stone or shade of grey.

Don't known what flooring you have or are planning but there are some funky black/red rugs around.

You can use the reds(remember you can use different red hues) and black in soft furnishings, lamps,art etc.

Have you looked here?

Contemporary Bathrooms from Alan Hilsabeck Jr. : Designers' Portfolio 4157 : Home & Garden Television

If you were looking for furniture, IKEA do a great high gloss red door and also a high gloss black/brown door that looks a bit like a wood grain effect in the Besta storage range.
The catalogue pics don't do it justice though

IKEA | Search result

Old 01-24-2011, 09:59 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Check out picture 12 and imagine it with black furniture:

Pier 1 Imports - Room Gallery

You have to put your mouse on the picture to see how to advance to picture 12.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:21 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,077 times
This is my idea of a black and red bedroom....the wall color is the perfect foil for the black and red.

Google Image Result for http://cdn.decorpad.com/photos/2009/06/12/a994c8c3a1f4.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating