Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 04:24 PM

66 posts, read 382,435 times

Advertisements

We are moving and the walls of the new house NEED paint. The trim is white. Hardwood floors throughout. The living room(entry) is square, medium sized, one nice big window but lots of trees so not too much light. Our furniture is chocolate brown with gold accents.
What color should we paint this room? Need specific names. I prefer Benjamin Moore. This room opens up into the dining room. Need a color for this room too!
In bedroom, our comforter is again,chocolate brown, but lots of red accents in here. What about adjoining bathroom? Would like a nice warm wall color that compliments the wall in bedroom.
Help!! I went into Benjamin Moore and got so LOST once I looked at the chips. I've made myself colorblind. LOL

the floor is a medium tone,not black,not light. the house is older with low ceilings. we bought it for the property(1.5 acres) and will tear down to build in about 2 years, but for now need to make current house liveable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 11:15 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,312,138 times
Our dining room adjoins our formal living room as well, so I want to keep the rooms the same color. Right now the dining room is red, but I think red in the adjoining room too would be too much, so I am thinking about a nice green for both rooms. I like Caraway from Home Depot, which you can get in Ben Moore paint. The other option for us is our entry way adjoins to the formal living room, so we could leave the red in the dining room and just paint the formal living room the same color as the entry way. Our entry way is Powell Buff from Ben Moore and I love it. It is a warm yellow/caramel/mustard.
My family room is SWilliams Blonde and we have a maroon couch and deep brown tables (chocolate) and it looks wonderful.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:06 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,643,687 times
we have a family room that opens into the kitchen, then there is the hallway. we used benjamin moore goldfinch. It is a light golden color. it sounds like it might work for you with some nice contrast to your choc brown furniture. as far as your bedroom goes, maybe you should look at that light steel blue color that a lot of photos show contrasting with the choc brown in bedrooms. I don't know an exact color, but I have seen the two combined lots of times. then you could do the bathroom in that shade of blue or slightly different.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:06 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
I'm in the process of painting my foyer and living room. I also love color. I'm using Benjamin Moore "Concord Ivory" which is a warm yellow/gold. For drama and accent, we're using a coordinating color "Stuart Gold" (a deeper richer gold) for the recessed arches and the squares in our coffered ceiling. We will also carry these colors into the dining room with the lighter Concord Ivory above the chair rail and the Stuart gold below.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:06 AM

67 posts, read 304,851 times
I love doing a very pale, almost white color for living rooms. Since your furniture is brown I'd suggest Benjamin Moore's White Dove or Calm.

What color is the furniture (or will the furniture be, if you're buying new) for your dining room and bedroom? I don't want to pick colors that would clash with them.

If everything in your bathroom (sink, toilet, etc.) is light I recommend going with a brown to connect it to your bedroom, especially if you don't want too much brown in the bedroom itself. Maybe even put in some beadboard (or just a chair rail and white paint underneath it since you'll be tearing it down in two years) so you'll have the nice white contrast to the color. For really dark brown I suggest Bittersweet Chocolate and Appalachian Brown. If you want to go for a midrange brown, Chocolate Sundae, Antler Brown or English Manor.

Without knowing the colors of the other furniture in the bedroom, I really like the idea of stripes in the bedroom. It allows you to bring in a color that you want and that matches the furnishing but lets you offset it a little bit with the lighter stripe. Sometimes you don't even need a lighter color, just some sheen or high gloss glaze for the alternating stripe.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:27 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,207 times
Something that I found is very helpful is going into a store and picking out some paint chips you like. Get some lighter and darker of the colors too. Tape them to the wall and leave them there for a couple of days and see which one appeals to you the most.
I could recommend one color to you, but what may look good on my walls, may not look good on yours.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:30 PM

3 posts, read 68,111 times
Hi ,,,, the floor is beige in colour and the sofas is beige too , what color should we paint the wall for a living room

Old 01-02-2009, 04:37 PM

hi
i have 2 rooms (a living room and a dinning room) in the same area between them a small wall. what color should we paint both rooms? same color or 2 diferent colors????thanks a lot

Old 01-02-2009, 04:40 PM

hi there,

i am moving to a new house. i have the living room and the dining room facing each other....and separated with a small wall .......should I paint the walls of both rooms the same color or different colors? pls. waiting for your feed back.......thanks a lot

Old 01-02-2009, 05:13 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
BM Putnam Ivory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating