Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,526 times

Advertisements

hi,

i also have 9' ceilings. i do have crown molding, about 5.5" wide, so i took note of the suggestion of hanging the rod about 4-5" below, however, there is only 2.5" of wall space between the crown molding and the tops of the windows. The windows are in the old 1920s style, with large frames with some decorative molding (?) on them. They are painted white, as are all the doors and trim. in this case, where on the window frame would you put the rod?

thanks,
charlotte
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 11:52 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrissCT View Post
We have 9 foot ceilings in our new home. What length should the curtains be? 108" and drag a little on the floor (since the rod will be a few inches below the ceiling)? Can I get away with 95" curtains or will that look funny. When I measure they would hang a couple inches off the ground.

The window frames start about a foot below the ceiling.
I'd drop the curtain rods to just above the window and use the 95" curtains. This way there is a space between the window and the ceiling and people will be more inclined to notice what wonderfully high ceilings you have.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-16-2012, 12:11 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,125,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
Just had to add that there are no hard rules when doing curtains. Do what
you like. I dont like dragging curtains.

Greenchili

Here is a great visual for you. I too had the same problem and decided that I would go the lazy way despite not liking the puddle since it was just too costly to go custom.

One day, while vacuuming the floor I was distracted for just a second and voom, the curtains got sucked into the vacuum and that was a true comedy of errors. I had just changed the bag so the suction was full strength and before you know it, I realized it and in my haste between me fighting it and the suction, it pulled the rod off the wall and the rod hit the table which broke a waterford vase which held flowers I had received for doing a good deed for a friend. She was not supposed to find out about it and did, which is why I got the flowers in the first place. The vase had water in it and I had to sop up the water to keep it from ruining the rug. All because I was too lazy to hem them even though it would have been a big job. My new moral is I don't have a drape or curtain in the house that can't be tied back.

It is funny now, but boy I was spitting angry at myself then!!! I hate puddling curtains!!!!!

Old 01-16-2012, 05:38 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,012,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Here is a great visual for you. I too had the same problem and decided that I would go the lazy way despite not liking the puddle since it was just too costly to go custom.

One day, while vacuuming the floor I was distracted for just a second and voom, the curtains got sucked into the vacuum and that was a true comedy of errors. I had just changed the bag so the suction was full strength and before you know it, I realized it and in my haste between me fighting it and the suction, it pulled the rod off the wall and the rod hit the table which broke a waterford vase which held flowers I had received for doing a good deed for a friend. She was not supposed to find out about it and did, which is why I got the flowers in the first place. The vase had water in it and I had to sop up the water to keep it from ruining the rug. All because I was too lazy to hem them even though it would have been a big job. My new moral is I don't have a drape or curtain in the house that can't be tied back.

It is funny now, but boy I was spitting angry at myself then!!! I hate puddling curtains!!!!!
Oh Lord....that sounds like an I Love Lucy moment!

Old 01-16-2012, 05:43 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,125,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Oh Lord....that sounds like an I Love Lucy moment!

I am afraid to admit that was just one of many but it does keep me laughing.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:40 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,148,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
Just had to add that there are no hard rules when doing curtains. Do what
you like. I dont like dragging curtains.

Greenchili
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrissCT View Post
Thanks!

I don't like them either - I had them in my last home and they get so dirty too.
Mine are about an inch from the floor. I notice the pooling of drapes on the floor tends to change as a style on and off. I don't have mine on the floor because I have cats, guess where they would curl up to sleep?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating