Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 10:48 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,724,350 times

Advertisements

I am trying to furnish my charming bungalow with period craftsman mission furniture, but am floored at the price of Stickley leather sofas! I have heard from people that mid-Century is IN and mission is OUT- not Furniture salespeople obviously. I thought about buying a gently used one, but I NEVER seem to find any where I am looking. Are there not enough of them out there? Do owners hang on to them for dear life? Or am I looking in the wrong places? I’ve looked in chairish website, eBay, Amazon and google searches, but all that I ever come up with are fleabag- looking upholstered sofas. There are many imitation “Stickley style”, but not Stickley leather itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 02:08 PM

4,830 posts, read 3,262,003 times
You're gonna pay a premium for something from Stickley. I've built a lot of pieces based on rough dimensions from old Stickley catalogs, and there's probably 100 woodworkers in Houston that can do something just as nice. And another 100 upholsterers that can do it every bit as good as the folks at the Stickley factory.

And for what it's worth, I expect that Stickley label doesn't mean near as much today as it used to unless it's very old.

Old 06-16-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
You're gonna pay a premium for something from Stickley. I've built a lot of pieces based on rough dimensions from old Stickley catalogs, and there's probably 100 woodworkers in Houston that can do something just as nice. And another 100 upholsterers that can do it every bit as good as the folks at the Stickley factory.

And for what it's worth, I expect that Stickley label doesn't mean near as much today as it used to unless it's very old.
Thanks for the idea!

Old 06-16-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post

Incidentally, there are many “Stickley style” furniture pieces on all of these sites. I suppose that those would also work? I’m still surprised that there aren’t more ppl trying to resell these pieces online, especially when I hear that young ppl don’t like them. More offerings online and estate sales?

Old 06-17-2019, 06:37 PM

4,830 posts, read 3,262,003 times
I've made several Morris chairs that are comfy enough. Upholstery is everything, IMO. Also made a couple of 'Prairie Box' chairs that look nice but encourage proper posture to the point nobody wants to sit in them. Love the look of the Stickley sofas and will probably make one (or a loveseat) for the retirement house, but more for show than anything else because we're not sofa folks. I'm kind of surprised there isn't more used out there.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:46 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
I have a Stickley chair, the leather version, and I adore it. It still looks brand new and is more like a piece of art than a piece of furniture.

Having said that, the chair is very comfortable, while I don't find the sofa to be that comfortable at all. A friend of mine has one in his office, and it just doesn't "sit" the same as the chair.

Unfortunately, it also isn't something most people recognize as special and different from what you can get at furniture stores or online.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:34 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
I suspect you need to separate the label from the sofa to answer the question. If "Stickley" mean more to you than a sofa you can stand to look at or sit on, there it is.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:26 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Anything that dates between 1905 to 1914 most likely had Gustav's hands or eyes on it. Those would be considered "real" Stickley furniture.

And as previously noted- the simplicity of the designs are easy to duplicate. So, if you want the "style" there are craftsman out there that can build it for you. The Stickley I mentioned previously will cost you 10's of thousands of dollars!

Old 06-18-2019, 12:47 PM

681 posts, read 2,358,979 times
Have you gone to the Stickley showroom and sat in their mission-style sofas? Some are not the most comfortable - and some are quite enjoyable. Don't listen to your friends who are pushing that MCM trend if you are an Arts/Crafts bungalow fan. MCM looks good in New American home styles but snug bungalows with their charming woodwork absolutely rock Mission style furniture.

There is a higher up-front cost to a quality mission sofa, but these aren't disposable pieces made in a factory. Mission style wood sofas are handmade for a niche market. These people are ones who tend to be longtime fans of the Arts/Crafts movement in their home and keep the style alive in their homes for decades. So it ends up that their Mission pieces get recushioned and reupholstered instead of Craigslisted when wear and tear appears.

You don't have to buy Stickley because mission-woodwork sofas are an Amish and woodworker staple (whispers...I think they do it better...). Spend some time visiting your local Amish furniture distributors and see if their sofas are what you have in mind. Remember - it's a custom order so you get to pick out the wood species, stain color, and leather. Or go with Stickley. It's all about what will make you happy and comfortable.

The Amish Craftsman - Houston

Old 06-18-2019, 03:57 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittySkyfish View Post
Have you gone to the Stickley showroom and sat in their mission-style sofas? Some are not the most comfortable - and some are quite enjoyable.

(snip)

You don't have to buy Stickley because mission-woodwork sofas are an Amish and woodworker staple (whispers...I think they do it better...). Spend some time visiting your local Amish furniture distributors and see if their sofas are what you have in mind. Remember - it's a custom order so you get to pick out the wood species, stain color, and leather. Or go with Stickley. It's all about what will make you happy and comfortable.
There is much wisdom in these words! And I say that as an owner of many Stickley pieces. Don't buy any sofa without sitting on it first - just because it's Mission doesn't mean it's comfy. And Amish craftsmen make excellent Mission-style furniture, which is generally much more affordable than Stickley if you're on a budget. And either genuine Stickley or Amish-made Mission pieces will be much more durable than what you will find on sale at the average furniture store these days!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating