Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 02:13 PM

2 posts, read 19,943 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]It is a new construction and the color of the brick is totally different from the one we chose. We asked the project manager and he said that it needs to be washed but they washed and still the same. It looks that they installed the wrong brick. This brick looks dirty and is really ugly. We had the walk through today and after they cleaned it but still the same. It is easy to compare because the brick we selected is in another house close to my new home. We can see the other house from my new home and they are totally different. The settlement (Ryan Homes) will be next week. What should we do?[/FONT][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 05:04 AM

604 posts, read 4,620,936 times
Demand they fix it. Usually they'll offer you a incentive to keep it. Less $ then to tear it out and start new, but probably enough to make you like it.

We got cultured marble tops to the vanities and two bathrooms were slightly off color (more white than beige) As soon as I mentioned it they said $500 credit for each so I took it. I really couldn't tell the difference anyway. My sil got the wrong color cabinets so they gave here free granite, many will work out a deal with you. My neighbor asked her tile to be laid out diagonally and they forgot. They offered her $12k but she said no thanks and made them rip everything out!

Old 03-19-2008, 08:41 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,373,754 times
As said above, if you can prove that they put the wrong brick up (and it's not just a color variation- remember, brick is a natural material), tell them you're not closing if they don't replace it. In today's market, they'll either replace it or they'll offer a monetary settlement. Three years ago they would have told you to get bent, and just sold your house to the next person in line, but the market has changed dramatically since then.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:06 AM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
As said above, if you can prove that they put the wrong brick up (and it's not just a color variation- remember, brick is a natural material), tell them you're not closing if they don't replace it. In today's market, they'll either replace it or they'll offer a monetary settlement. Three years ago they would have told you to get bent, and just sold your house to the next person in line, but the market has changed dramatically since then.
Ditto! I agree w/Bob.
I highlighted the arguement.
If you have a copy of the signed selection sheet, showing your brick selection; and can confirm that the other house is in-fact that brick- They don't have a leg to stand on.
It may also be worthwhile to track down the brick supplier's records for the delivery. See if it matches your selection.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:29 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Brick can vary greatly, from lot to lot. Are you absolutely positive (as in - have seen the work order/invoice) that this is not just a different lot of the same brick?

Old 03-19-2008, 04:55 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,313,517 times
That's CLASSIC for Ryan/NVHomes (sister companies) I have owned both...built an NV home two years ago. They always were screwing up something...Trying to put in different doors to save money(something all the owners on our block noticed and we all demanded the better door we were promised), trying to say we don't get a chandalier when in fact we do (two of us noticed and demanded it-we got it), forgetting to paint the shutters the correct color (I was the only one who demanded mine be the correct color to match the door)...everything to save money. They probably found a brick on "clearance" and figured you would never notice.
Do as others have said and say "we were promised X and this is not X. We want the correct X put on or we will not close." In your sales contract should be the name and color of the brick you chose. Pull out that slip and demand to see a receipt of the brick they actually put on your home.
Good luck. There were a few things that we were promised and then never got...we were to have columns on our front porch but they gave some bogus excuse that where the electric people put their meter screwed it up and so they can't put it on (well, to me that is the project managers fault b/c he should have been their supervising!)

Old 03-19-2008, 05:09 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,108,500 times
Gather your evidence and tell them now that you're not closing until the brick is replaced.
I'd also take a hard look at the rest of the house and make sure that's not the only issue they're fudging on!

Old 03-19-2008, 07:39 PM

337 posts, read 826,232 times
Best advice is DO NOT CLOSE until you are satisfied. They will not do it after. Once you close, you will either have to do arbitration or sue them to get it fixed. We learned this the hard way.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:28 PM

2 posts, read 11,174 times
Default I too got same issue with Ryland

Issue 1: Today we went by the house to see the Construction and realised that brick color looks totally different from what we have chosen. We had
selected same brick,stone and motor colors as from x in the same division. But when we look at the two houses both look quite
opposite.Whatever brick color we have selected was light brown shades but what we are seeing is really dark brown.

Issue 2 : We signed new construnction 6 months 10 days back ( Sept 30 2007). In the papers they put estimated date as April 10 2008. When asked yesterday sales resp for estimated , he is telling that it is going to take 3 more months.

[SIZE=3]Any advises really helpful.[/SIZE]

Old 04-14-2008, 06:37 AM

2 posts, read 11,174 times
Question Issue with Brick

[SIZE=3]We told them to put hold until confirming the brick on the two houses are same.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Any suggestion or response are appreciated?[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating