Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 09:11 PM

797 posts, read 1,749,003 times

Advertisements

We purchased a couch today that was the most comfortable we'd ever sat on. We loved how deep it was and how truly comfy it was! The price was great and perhaps it was because we'd been looking all weekend, were tired of looking, and needs something NOW but we foolishly agreed to buy it without doing our homework. Well we didn't even know this was a down couch until we came home and did some more research on Robert Michael Ltd...well now we learn that this couch is filled with down. 2 major problems! 1) my hubby is allergic to down, (although he was fine at the store when we were sitting on the couch) & 2) I keep reading really horrible reviews on the longevity of a down-filled couch.

Can anyone provide some feedback on furniture filled with down?? I think hubby will be okay as he uses the couch the least out of all of us. But now I'm having buyers remorse. Ugh. The brand is Robert Michael Ltd

Last edited by sunshinelove0000; 08-02-2015 at 09:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 09:57 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
Are the pillows totally down, with no other filler? If so, it must have been a really expensive couch!

Old, expensive sofas used to have down filled cushions. I never encountered one, but I've read about them a bit.

What does the sofa description have to say about the cushions? Surely there was a description.

If your hubby is allergic, I'd cancel the sale. You should be able to do this if you act fast.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:08 PM

6,815 posts, read 11,534,335 times
In the 60s my parents had a down filled couch. They had it from 1960 until at least 1978 or so. My mother had passed away and my dad remarried and moved to a different house. I wanted it, but my step mother conveniently forgot that and got rid of it some way. But that's another whole story.....

ANyway, it was very comfy but you had to fluff the cushions (seat and backs) every day.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:00 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,138,288 times
We just purchased a sofa and chair from Ethan Allen. I came really close to buying the down-filled sofa. It was incredibly comfy. I opted out at the last minute due to all the fluffing that would be involved. Down-fill sofas tend to get that messy look after a while. Their sofa was a mix of down-fill and foam. I did have a sofa from IKEA a few years back that was down-filled and foam. Not as comfy as the Ethan Allen sofa but what I didnt like was that sometimes the feathers poke through and you have to pulled them out. The feathers poking through can hurt if they stick you the wrong way.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:52 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,420,754 times
I had considered purchasing a similar sofa and found the below site when researching reviews. It's a discussion among several people who had the same couch:

Robert Michael Sofa/Furniture ??

Old 08-03-2015, 02:47 AM

61,655 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Not sure about Robert Michael sofas, but I had down filled sofa and it was absolutely incredible. It was quite firm with lots of filling. Didn't lost the shape.
BTW: They must have used large feathers (cheaper than down) as their quills break through the ticking, and poke the user. For large feather filling, leather covers are the best.
Down does not poke thru the fabric as its quills are soft.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:48 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,427,677 times
I have a George Smith down cushion sofa that I bought second hand a couple of years ago. As long as I plump the cushions up each day it stays in wonderful condition and is the most comfortable sofa I've ever owned.

My seat pads aren't baffled so I give them quite a beating to make sure the down is well fluffed.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:20 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,599,205 times
I've got a down cushion sofa that I call the Napsnatcher. Every time I lie down on that thing, I fall asleep, even if I'm not tired or am trying to stay awake to read or watch TV. It is 7 feet of utter bliss. My mom bought it about 50 years ago, it's been recovered 4-5 times, and the cushion restuffed/redone twice in that time. I don't know the mfr, but it's a very well made sofa even though it looks quite dainty. There are no back pillows-- it's button tufted -- so the only fluffing is the one big seat cushion. Love. it.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:32 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
It is all about the old adage "you get what you pay for". My mom bought a Baker sofa in 1952 with all down cushions. When we sold her home in 2007 we finally broke the sofa apart and that was it. She had it reupholstered over the years and always paid extra for the better down. That was the most comfortable sofa I have ever seen. I got all down too, and mine is holding up vey well and is very comfortable.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:00 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,491,854 times
I think it depends a lot on the manufacturer. As others have noted, down needs a lot of fluffing. The problem with a down leather sofa is that the leather makes it very, very hard to fluff the cushions.

After a while, the leather also seems to lose its shape with down. Foam cushions hold their shape and supports the leather structure. Down doesn't do this, and so it allows the leather to stretch and sag - which is something that can't be repaired. There are a lot of threads about this on Houzz.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating