Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 01:00 PM

613 posts, read 943,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Interesting. I don't find grey to be depressing at all. My favorite color in our house is Knitting Needles from Sherwin Williams. The room.
I recently picked out 3 diff. colors for 3 bdrms. & a downstairs bath. I picked out B.M. formerly "dogue gray" (now "white wisp"), Windham Cream--a pale yellow--that I really like, & "gray sky", a really nice light blue. And the painter mixed the leftover white wisp & the gray sky for the bath.

I'm still trying to warm up to the light gray color ("white wisp"); altho I found it hard to get an accurate pic of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Paint colors for an open layout?-dsc_0015-.jpg   Paint colors for an open layout?-dsc_0013-.jpg   Paint colors for an open layout?-dsc_0010-.jpg   Paint colors for an open layout?-dsc_0032-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 06:27 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
We do a lot of white ceilings, medium to light wall color, and white trim. Seems to be a timeless touch here.
Might want to research the effects of color on a room and people. Grey will make the rooms depressing, green the most relaxing, yellow and light beige the warmest.
I have a gray kitchen with natural maple cabs, and it looks great. Gray is everywhere, including interior walls. I assume it will become less trendy in a few years, and the gray will look dated. But now, it usually looks great. And remember that there are so many grays to choose from.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:30 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Trendy? Who cares? We do what we like. If some gut on TV tries to tell us it's no longer "in" and we should change then I just switch channels. I don't live to make him money.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Trendy? Who cares? We do what we like. If some gut on TV tries to tell us it's no longer "in" and we should change then I just switch channels. I don't live to make him money.
I don't believe in following fads in decorating or anything else. However, newer colors often look new and fresh to me. And keeping colors that are no longer in style makes it hard to find other things that blend in. If you have a forest green bedroom, you might have problems finding a good new coverlet that really looks like it goes with the wall color, for instance.

Think about it. Do you want a house with a 1975 color scheme? 1985?

One of the interesting things about new decorating trends is the influence of young and not so young, home style bloggers. They are prolific posters and home photographers. If you want to know where home decorating is going, then you should track of a few of these bloggers. Paint companies and retailers often tie products into their posts, and you can see that they have a lot of influence on home decorating.

I think this is new and fresh. A bunch of decorators in major markets, who cater to the very rich, don't have the influence that they did 20 years ago on home style. Of course, there are many influences out there.

One of the major things I noticed when I began following home decorating blogs, in preparation for deciding on home finishes for my new to me home, was the use of gray on interior walls. I suppose gray might be passing a bit now, but I still see it in pics. And, with white trim, gray can look amazing. Who knew? I would never have thought of using it on my walls.

In clothing, textiles, home furnishings, there will always be trends. It is the nature of the world in which we live. There is no reason to be afraid of change, and there is no reason to be slavish in following the latest thing. But overall, change does happen.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:18 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I don't believe in following fads in decorating or anything else. However, newer colors often look new and fresh to me. And keeping colors that are no longer in style makes it hard to find other things that blend in. If you have a forest green bedroom, you might have problems finding a good new coverlet that really looks like it goes with the wall color, for instance.

I went with gray walls because I had putty/greige in my last house and I wanted something different. The fact that gray is very trendy now wasn't the reason why I picked it, but it has been nice to have lots and lots of options for other decor pieces such as bed linens.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I went with gray walls because I had putty/greige in my last house and I wanted something different. The fact that gray is very trendy now wasn't the reason why I picked it, but it has been nice to have lots and lots of options for other decor pieces such as bed linens.
Yes!

And the fact that gray is on trend now means that their are lots of grays to choose from.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:03 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

Think about it. Do you want a house with a 1975 color scheme? 1985?

One of the interesting things about new decorating trends is the influence of young and not so young, home style bloggers. They are prolific posters and home photographers. If you want to know where home decorating is going, then you should track of a few of these bloggers. Paint companies and retailers often tie products into their posts, and you can see that they have a lot of influence on home decorating.

I think this is new and fresh. A bunch of decorators in major markets, who cater to the very rich, don't have the influence that they did 20 years ago on home style. Of course, there are many influences out there.

One of the major things I noticed when I began following home decorating blogs, in preparation for deciding on home finishes for my new to me home, was the use of gray on interior walls. I suppose gray might be passing a bit now, but I still see it in pics. And, with white trim, gray can look amazing. Who knew? I would never have thought of using it on my walls.

In clothing, textiles, home furnishings, there will always be trends. It is the nature of the world in which we live. There is no reason to be afraid of change, and there is no reason to be slavish in following the latest thing. But overall, change does happen.

In 1987 we built a house. The interior was a Sears color named Tennis Ball White, which was a pale grey. Our new house is greys.

I guess when you're a few decades ahead of all those trendy bloggers you don't need their opinions.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:18 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I think it partly depends on the weather where you are, too. When I lived in a cloudy climate in WA, I loved using a very light golden yellow with white trim. It gives the illusion of sunshine even on cloudy days.

If you live in a hot climate, you might want to go with a cooler palate, like greys and blues.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I think it partly depends on the weather where you are, too. When I lived in a cloudy climate in WA, I loved using a very light golden yellow with white trim. It gives the illusion of sunshine even on cloudy days.

If you live in a hot climate, you might want to go with a cooler palate, like greys and blues.
When I lived in MO in '80s, I used a light yellow from B. Moore. I used it a lot. It was fine. And then it wasn't. I live in WA now, and I love how the gray in my kitchen bounces off the natural, yellowish maple cabs. It helps that I have large south facing windows, but I have not found the color depressing here.

However, if you do find gray depressing, then by all means use another color. There are loads of colors to choose from. And the paint companies are able to color match anything now. Lets say you have forest green plaid sofa; you can take the arm cover in and have the color matched. So, then you'd have a forest green wall too! If that's what you want.

Actually, I don't mean to malign forest green. I see it every so often as a house paint color here and I always have a response to it. I really like it as an exterior color.

I think there are so many choices out there, we should all be over the moon with them. It puzzles me that people have such doctrinaire opinions about color schemes and palettes.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:24 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Agreed. My whole house is

Sherwin-Williams Paints, Stains, Supplies and Coating Solutions

Not necessarily my first choice for the specific shade, but I knew I wanted gray. I only had a handful of choices from the builder.
same here. I think beige is boring, white is depressing, but gray - is that the new beige? I just painted my 1st floor SW Proper Gray. Had no idea there are so many shades of gray until now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating