Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 10:57 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,341,410 times

Advertisements

Would you do it? Would you buy a brick house that has been painted?

Something about it is kind of unsettling for me. I do know that there are some ugly brick colors that need to be painted over and have seen some paint jobs that look ok... but I think there's definitely a right way and a wrong way to paint brick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 11:17 AM

17,481 posts, read 66,162,502 times
I would "do it" if the look I was trying to achieve mandated it. But I'd only do it with the material that Boral Brick has come out with.
I wouldn't "do it" with Latex house paint- and I wouldn't buy a house with painted brick- because it probably is latex. Especially if its more than 5yrs old.

Boral Bricks - Company Profile (http://www.boralbricks.com/CompanyProfile/Recote.aspx - broken link)

Old 01-02-2008, 11:23 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,762,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
Would you do it? Would you buy a brick house that has been painted?

Something about it is kind of unsettling for me. I do know that there are some ugly brick colors that need to be painted over and have seen some paint jobs that look ok... but I think there's definitely a right way and a wrong way to paint brick.
It depends on what the brick has been painted with. The idea of painted brick is not offensive to me, but if the wrong type if paint was used, you're looking at massive costs to get it off there and get it repainted (or returned to brick).

If I was sure it's been painted with a product that was made especially for brick, then I wouldn't have any problem with it. Otherwise...I'd be wary.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:51 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,270,315 times
No, I would never do it. Painting brick means you are taking a nearly maintenance free thing and turning it into a maintenance nightmare.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:38 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,333,123 times
Default no......

To anyone considering painting brick....especially a fireplace....please don't. It took me all summer a few years ago to scrape a god awful color of paint off a beautiful fireplace. I still have nightmares about it.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:23 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,762,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
To anyone considering painting brick....especially a fireplace....please don't. It took me all summer a few years ago to scrape a god awful color of paint off a beautiful fireplace. I still have nightmares about it.
Heh...I would have put stone or some sort of other nice facing over it before I'd try to take it off

Old 01-03-2008, 10:09 AM

200 posts, read 888,912 times
I did buy a house that has painted brick....
https://www.city-data.com/forum/house...ted-brick.html

And I've yet to find a way to get rid of the paint itself. If you can save yourself the heartache, don't buy it pre-painted!

Old 01-04-2008, 06:31 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,872,805 times
painting brick forces one to create a maintenance issue where one did not exist. those that do it are often cursed by the owners that spend the money sandblasting the paint off wondering why anyone would ever paint brick to begin with. If you don't like the look of brick.. sell the home and buy what you like. Don't paint it.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:50 PM

394 posts, read 2,004,862 times
I don't think there is ever a right way of painting brick. It's too much of a nightmare to remove, and painted brick really isn't attractive, anyway.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:14 PM

128 posts, read 638,882 times
Default Painted Brick on an Interior space

Brick is coming back in.....however...

Everything comes back around. The problem is, there is a difference in "old" and "vintage." Some brick is plain ugly. It was cheap and ugly when it was installed......and it still is.

There is a low cost solution to ugly brick. Some brick is horrid brown. I've seen brick that is horrid red. To reface brick with new stone, or cultured stone, is costly, but, admittedly the best way to get rid of it. However, for plan B......there is a way to paint brick and make it look so much better.

If you have a wall of brick, or a fireplace surround in ugly brick.....by all means, paint it. There is a way. Like anything, it takes a bit of time, and a couple of layers of paint to "texturize" it so it looks mottled in nature, and not just painted over with a thick coat of latex using a roller. That look is awful......

I guess it could be called "faux" finished......when you paint over natural stone...but I have done it myself and it's looked fabulous, and has been a good alternative to live with until I could reface.

Check out Fireplace Remodeling - Fireplace Painting - Fireplace Paint

and you can see a couple of examples of how to paint brick to make it look better. If you don't know how to blend colors, or use multiple colors, a product like this is your best bet because the Kit comes with everything you need. It is more expensive than buying your own, but it has a better no-fail rate than experimenting. The photos don't do it justice, actually. It really looks nice in person. I think the most natural look for brick is to use the Taupe colors. You can modify it to darker or lighter looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating