Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 10:23 AM

382 posts, read 824,682 times

Advertisements

So we are under contract on a house with cedar siding. The rest of the homes in he neighborhood are brick, so this one sat on the market much longer even though it's beautiful on the inside. The outside makes it the ugliest house on the block. Now I can paint, add dentil molding, etc. but what about the brick veneer? It looks pretty nice from what I've seen. Opinions?

Last edited by divakat; 07-09-2013 at 10:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 02:14 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,010,995 times
There's all kinds of brick- surely out of thousands there's one that meets YOUR criteria.

The bigger question- how much are you willing to spend? And is it even feasible? Depending on the foundation of the house it could be relatively easy or very involved. 1. The brick has to have something to sit on (brick ledge), which is usually made into the foundation whether it be a slab or other type foundation. If its not there, don't bother. I see more after-thought brick jobs go awry because of that than I care too recall.

You do have other options-
Hardi- lap board siding
Stucco
Cultured stone
And/or combinations of the above. And there's no worry with an after-thought ledge for brick.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:29 PM

What about brick veneer? Is that as difficult to install?

Old 07-09-2013, 03:20 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,389,322 times
Cedar siding is bad?
We have cedar siding and love it.
Is it just the wrong style house for the siding?

Old 07-09-2013, 03:42 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divakat View Post
So we are under contract on a house with cedar siding.
The rest of the homes in he neighborhood are brick...

Opinions?
I'm a BIG fan of brick. Nothing better.
I'm an even bigger fan of foundations with a brick ledge.

If you're home doesn't have that...

Old 07-09-2013, 04:54 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Quote:
What about brick veneer? Is that as difficult to install?
All brick in today's residential construction is a veneer. It has no structural bearing to the building itself.

You're referring to "thin brick veneer"- don't bother! When done properly, costs as much as a modular/queen brick veneer. And you're certainly not getting the benefit of "real brick"; nor would the resale value be there.

The technique for applying is basically the same as cultured stone (as I previously mentioned) but I certainly wouldn't use it to facade a whole house. It's more of an accent- to go with other claddings.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
Cedar siding is bad?
It's just that the other homes are very stately from the outside and they are all brick. This one isn't so it makes it look very plain from the street

Old 07-10-2013, 08:35 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
It's just that the other homes are very stately from the outside and they are all brick.
This one isn't so it makes it look very plain from the street.
Something to think about for your next house.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:51 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,182,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
Cedar siding is bad?
Indeed, I think cedar siding is gorgeous....unless, of course, it has become terribly rundown looking.

A brick house would be lovely, but only if it were an older looking matte glaze and with the classic rose-orange color. There are veneers with that classic look.

But if the house with its present cedar siding looks fine, I would never consider changing it simply because it didn't fit the cookie-cutter look of the neighbourhood. The fact that it was distinctive and of a traditional type of building material would strongly incline me to leave it alone and be grateful.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:00 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,176,790 times
Could it be painted? I am not one that has to be like everyone else, so I would rejoice that my house was different. However, I can see that not every house looks "just right" in it's situation.

Good luck with what you decide is best for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating