Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 10:59 PM

36 posts, read 175,020 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm in such a dilemma about how to decorate my place. Its been 8 months since we moved to our new home and I still am not sure how to decorate my place.

I wanted to do a very traditional type of decor with persian rugs and all but my hubby wanted a more modern look. I ended up compromising and now I feel my place looks like a mess. I dont know whether its traditional or modern anymore.

I have two living rooms and one looks contemporary, imo and the other looks like a mess. I was thinking of making the mess into more of a modern look.

Ill post pictures in the next post. And love to know what all of you suggest I do. What I should get rid of and/or add etc..

Many thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 11:22 PM

or perhaps both the living rooms look messy lol

Old 05-29-2013, 11:50 PM

I also tried switching the rugs around to see if it helps... or maybe I need to buy more modern type of rugs? like with geometric shapes and all?

Old 05-30-2013, 12:24 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,221,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timewaster99 View Post
I also tried switching the rugs around to see if it helps... or maybe I need to buy more modern type of rugs? like with geometric shapes and all?
I like this red rug on that carpet better. I think the rug should be under the couches, not right up to it. That empty space between the rug and the couches is pulling the eye down.

The pillows are all lined up at attention, you might try to group a couple at one end and give them a karate chop crease to the top of them.

Don't care for the end tables in the last picture with the couches you have. They are fighting for the "starring role" and seem to be opposite styles.

Last edited by Kayekaye; 05-30-2013 at 12:46 AM..

Old 05-30-2013, 05:39 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,776,400 times
I don't think that either room looks messy. Your furniture is beautiful, although a bit dark for my taste. Me, in the living room I would get a modern looking rug in vibrant colors, a different picture on the wall (hung lower, it appears to be too high and moves the eye upward and away from the overall eye shot) or for now, switch the pictures out, and some vibrant pillows that compliment and complete the look. The end tables in the den appear to be more modern looking, I would also switch them and get a more abstract looking table lamp.

The den? Well, the red rug would add some color, I would buy some new pillows, larger ones, lighter colors, with
a splash of red and a piece of table art, a vase or something, both rooms are very one dimensional.

Just my thoughts, have fun with your decorating!

Old 05-30-2013, 06:20 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,034,538 times
To me, both rooms look the same. Did you know that stores sell furniture that is not brown?

For starters, both pictures are hung too high, and both pictures look like mall art, not a reflection of your family's taste. If you go to art.com, you can get big canvasses of lovely paintings that aren't just red and brown. I would get one and then pull some other colors from it.

Get rid of the shiny pillows. I like the more modern tables better than the other ones, but you must have liked them all when you bought them, the problem is the matchy matchy factor. The modern tables, juxtaposed with the oriental rug is what makes this room work better for me. A good decorating tactic is to use is dull with shiny, old with new (like a shabby painted cupboard), solid with pattern, etc. I would get rid of both coffee tables and buy non matching ones. Or, maybe switch the coffee tables between the two rooms?

What you need in the rooms is something of yourselves. Get a chair in a colorful pattern (like a red and tan check). Get a larger lamp. The one in the picture is too wimpy for the space. You need a lot more lighting, in general.

Don't be afraid of leaving your brown, red décor box. Go for some pieces that you respond to emotionally, and it will fix the dilemma you are feeling right now.

There are some really talented folks on C-D, so I hope they will weigh in for you.

Last edited by gentlearts; 05-30-2013 at 06:33 AM..

Old 05-30-2013, 06:56 AM

4,233 posts, read 6,914,804 times
In my opinion neither of them looks the least bit modern to me. They both have a very strong traditional lean. I see some occasional tables that are more contemporary but that's about it. Matching brown leather furniture set a big-time traditional tone that is hard to overcome if you are going for "modern"

I'd listen to Kayekaye though. Her advice is usually pretty solid, especially for something with a traditional or transitional base.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:06 AM

Thanks fpr responding, everyone.

Hahaha, gentlearts. I know stores sell more than just brown furniture. When we were out buying furniture, i couldnt find anything I liked and my hubby had plenty of ideas so I finally let him decide what furniture to buy and this is the end resut.

The rest of the stuff were all good deals and so they came as well.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
I like this red rug on that carpet better. I think the rug should be under the couches, not right up to it. That empty space between the rug and the couches is pulling the eye down.

The pillows are all lined up at attention, you might try to group a couple at one end and give them a karate chop crease to the top of them.

Don't care for the end tables in the last picture with the couches you have. They are fighting for the "starring role" and seem to be opposite styles.
So with the living room with the staircase,

- I should try pulling the rug underneath the couches
- get rid of the endtables
- try more softer pillows. (these pillows are very stiff)

Old 05-30-2013, 07:34 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timewaster99 View Post
Thanks fpr responding, everyone.

Hahaha, gentlearts. I know stores sell more than just brown furniture. When we were out buying furniture, i couldnt find anything I liked and my hubby had plenty of ideas so I finally let him decide what furniture to buy and this is the end resut.

The rest of the stuff were all good deals and so they came as well.
Oh, LOL, husbands are not permitted opinions on decorating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating