Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 11:43 PM

92 posts, read 308,868 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I have a very high ceiling window in my living room and I want to put up faux drapes on each sides of the window to give it a look - still want to have the natural light coming into the room.

I'm wondering how much does it cost to have it professional done??

I'm thinking that maybe I can sew the drapes (thinking of velvet fabric) and have the professionals only put up the drapes for me - this way, I will save a lot of money (?)

Any suggestion?

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 05:19 AM

22,617 posts, read 47,750,325 times
What are faux drapes???
IF you are sewing panels... those ARE drapes!

You'll need to shop around. Sewing your own isn't automatically cheaper... fabric is expensive, plus there is your time commitment.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:42 AM

41,991 posts, read 75,287,946 times
Faux drapes?

If you're going to all the trouble of sewing them yourself, why can't you also put them up yourself? Think of all the money you'll save ...

Old 05-02-2012, 09:03 AM

92 posts, read 308,868 times
Sorry, I didn't make it clear. I meant "faux" curtains.....like just putting up two single drapes on each side of my wide window so it will give a look (frame) to the window only. I still want to natural light coming in so I don't need the curtains to cover the entire window.

I also want to hang the drapes from the very top of wall (touch the ceiling) so in length wise it's going to be ALOT of fabrics. Thus i have a feeling that it's going to cost me alot of money and though that maybe I can make those two single drapes myself to save some money.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

Old 05-02-2012, 09:12 AM

935 posts, read 3,451,271 times
Do you sew often? Have you sewn draperies before? How did they turn out? Its easy to say, "I can do that!!!" Its another thing to do it.

Here's my story: I recently made an ottoman cover myself to save some money. I'm good at sewing, very innovated and creative, and can figure out most things on my own; but I'm not a fabricator and I never did a large ottoman cover with a double welt before. Also, because I don't do this professionally, I own a $500 sewing machine that has a limited number of presser feet available. That means I had no welt foot. I had to use a zipper foot and make due. Between work, school and life in general, it took me 18 months to complete, countless days ripping out seams that had failed, still more wavy seams that I decided to leave. Most people don't see the flaws, but I'm aware of each one and my eyes are always drawn to them. To boot, I over ordered on fabric by 2 yards at $50/yd. Would I do it again? Sure, but only because I learned so much from the first experience, the second will be much easier. The bulk of your experience will be gained by your first project.

I would use a professional to hang anything that is weighty, and 1.5 - 2 story velvet panels will be heavy. If you understand about locating studs, properly mounting hardware to studs and the best type of screws to support the weight, the you should be qualified to do it yourself.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:15 AM

41,991 posts, read 75,287,946 times
There's no law that says if you have curtains -- "faux" or otherwise -- they must be closed. My suggestion would be to make each panel wide enough to meet in the middle with the other. That way you can choose to close the curtains if you want to.

Curtains are expensive -- I just bought six panels at $45 each -- but so is fabric. How high are your ceilings? If you can find a ready-made pair of panels in the length you need, save yourself some hassle.

Hanging curtain rods, btw, is a piece of cake. If you're using a heavy fabric, make sure the curtain rod can handle it. You'll need a drill for pilot holes, and a screwdriver. That's it. If you want the rod to extend outside the window frame (I personally hate that look, not to mention I hate holes in my plaster that aren't necessary when there's a perfectly good and more easily repairable wood frame to screw a curtain rod into), you'll need those screw insert thingies that stabilize the screw in the plaster and/or drywall.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
If you're using a heavy fabric, make sure the curtain rod can handle it. You'll need a drill for pilot holes, and a screwdriver. That's it. If you want the rod to extend outside the window frame (I personally hate that look, not to mention I hate holes in my plaster that aren't necessary when there's a perfectly good and more easily repairable wood frame to screw a curtain rod into), you'll need those screw insert thingies that stabilize the screw in the plaster and/or drywall.
Its not the rod that supports the drapery its the wall. And in as much, its best to support the mounts for the rods to a wall stud and not to dry wall alone. Some lighter drapes and light rods, when the window treatment is not often handled or moved, can be supported in drywall alone; but to avoid damage to walls (I'm speaking of sheet rock here--plaster is a different animal), you should really mount it to the stud.

Mounting in the window casing can, depending on the type of wood, cause the casing to split. And more and more, replacement windows are cased in vinyl and cannot or should not be drilled.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:41 PM

50,390 posts, read 64,083,206 times
I sew all my drapes, because I just can't justify the cost of buying them. As for your faux idea, unless they are full enough to cover the window, they are not going to look good. This doesn't mean you must close them, but don't just put some skinny strips of cloth up there.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:20 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,801,267 times
I made 8 sets of swags and jabots for my windows. It took me a couple of weeks to get them done, but I was a stay at home mom. I found a pattern and saved a small fortune.
Simple panels are easy, just take a look at one, especially if you're making them with rod pockets or with clip on or sew on rings.

Hanging rods is much easier if you have someone to help you. I usually had to hang mine by myself.
Most rods come with decent anchors for hanging, but if you're hanging heavier drapes I suggest you use stronger wall anchors or molly bolts. You can't depend on hitting studs when hanging drapes. Wall anchors, etc, are designed to be used on drywall. If you tell the person at the hardware store, or Home Depot or Lowes what you want to do, they'll steer you toward the right ones.

TheWayIseeThings - you are a brave soul. I've been looking at my sturdy though ratty looking ottoman for months, contemplating recovering it, but I just can't bring myself to actually try and do it.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cold View Post
TheWayIseeThings - you are a brave soul. I've been looking at my sturdy though ratty looking ottoman for months, contemplating recovering it, but I just can't bring myself to actually try and do it.
Thanks. I'm mostly happy with the outcome, even though I'm aware of the flaws. If I had it to do over, I would have used dressmakers skirt, or would have paid someone to make it for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating