Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 11:10 PM

399 posts, read 1,805,412 times

Advertisements

I'm completing a major renovation which has opened up three rooms into one: a large living room with adjoining kitchen separated by a half-wall/bar.
The living room has high vaulted ceilings, but the overall square-footage of that area is quite small at around 300 sq/ft. I want to avoid any colors that will shrink the feeling of the room or make the high ceiling seem disproportionate.

I want a contemporary, urban look, and am leaning towards some shade of gray for the walls and probably a lighter shade of the same for the ceiling.
I'm open to any suggestions for this gray. Here's the general ballpark:

I've decided to go with bamboo floors and had originally thought to go with the lighter natural shades, like this:

Then I saw this red shade which I really like:

Just wondering how the red floor would look with light gray walls, and if the darker floor color would make the room feel too small.
The room they'll be in has tons of natural light. Any suggestions for other floor/wall combinations are welcome. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 11:22 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,173,022 times
Each computer monitor will make the colors vary so I am going to say what I see on my end. I do not like the blonde floors with the gray at all. It feels sterile. I think the warm red floors are a good choice. I feel the gray is kind of cold looking and would suggest looking at some more samples in the gray family. Get several samples and then tape the samples to the wall and look at how it changes during the course of the day and night. My living room is a green color but at night it has a gray appearance. I love them both so it works for me.

Did you say you were color blind a while back? Might want to ask others their opinions before proceeding (well people in person). They can tell you how it looks at varying times of the day with different light.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:39 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,173,022 times
Here are some suggestions.

gray pinstripe 1588 Paint - Benjamin Moore gray pinstripe Paint Color Details

Colors:
Gray Pinstripe 1588

Trout Gray

Pebble Beach

Old 08-01-2011, 12:03 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,946,869 times
First of all, whatever you like, whatever works for your taste and is something you want to live in and look at day-after-day is what you should go for.

I would absolutely want to die if I had to live with that color scheme. The colors are not in the same family, do not compliment each other . . . I think they are horrid.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:59 AM

30,651 posts, read 16,313,181 times
yup-agree with falling water. The yellow and gray, at least on my puter, don't look good at all. The red has some gray in it and would be preferable.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:58 AM

Thanks everyone for the input.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Each computer monitor will make the colors vary so I am going to say what I see on my end. I do not like the blonde floors with the gray at all. It feels sterile. I think the warm red floors are a good choice. I feel the gray is kind of cold looking and would suggest looking at some more samples in the gray family. Get several samples and then tape the samples to the wall and look at how it changes during the course of the day and night. My living room is a green color but at night it has a gray appearance. I love them both so it works for me.

Did you say you were color blind a while back? Might want to ask others their opinions before proceeding (well people in person). They can tell you how it looks at varying times of the day with different light.
Thank you FW. I agree about the blonde bamboo. It is in person far less yellow and more of a light tan, but I think you're correct in worrying that may look too sterile. Interesting point about the day/night difference; I'll have to take my time with the samples.

And, yes, you have a good memory. I'm always loath to bring that up in threads like this one, because it usually sidetracks the conversation with people asking, "If you can't see colors, then what does it matter?" Either way, I've been asking so many friends and family for second opinions, I thought I'd turn to an online community for a little input and to spread the burden a little.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post

I would absolutely want to die if I had to live with that color scheme. The colors are not in the same family, do not compliment each other . . . I think they are horrid.
The color of the font you've chosen suggests that you and I have drastically different tastes in color. I'm grateful for this, as it allows me to appropriately weigh your opinion with regards to my floor and wall color choices.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:06 AM

81 posts, read 189,642 times
I don't like gray too much...kind of depressing to me...but I Do love the red and grey!

Old 08-01-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
yup-agree with falling water. The yellow and gray, at least on my puter, don't look good at all. The red has some gray in it and would be preferable.
Thanks PA. I'm curious about your statement that the red has some gray in it. I cannot see that, but I'll take your word for it. I'd like to know then, are there any grays that have a little red in them? A light shade of a gray with a hint of red might look good on the walls.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaiden51 View Post
I don't like gray too much...kind of depressing to me...but I Do love the red and grey!
Haha... I hear ya!

I should probably point out that the room will not be lacking in color. One of the centerpieces will be one of my aquariums, one like this:

(That one is still in rough form, just posted to give you an idea of the colors.)

By the way, did you go ahead with your seashell back-splash idea? I hope I didn't gross you out with my opinion on the inclusion of seahorses.
Attached Thumbnails
Would this floor go with this wall color?-img_20110130_223557.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating