Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 09:00 AM

889 posts, read 2,712,016 times

Advertisements

That's better! Bigger! Thanks, golfgal! It feels so pinched with that peninsula. The eating nook isn't very big either. I'd love to combine them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 09:18 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
Ok, in that kitchen I would take out the upper cupboards and open it up but leave the peninsula. If you are redoing the kitchen countertops, round out the seating space so it looks more like a half circle and you can add 2 more chairs if you want without losing floor space. If you don't want to lose that cupboard space, put glass doors on both sides to open it up and see if you can get rid of the pillar holding them up.

I think if you moved that into an "island" you would be cursing yourself for having that in the way all the time.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:50 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,888,666 times
That kitchen doesn't have enough space for an island, and your stuff in the freezer is thawing ;-)

Old 07-24-2011, 04:17 PM

Thanks, guys! I would definitely consider just taking out the top cabinets/pillar and rounding out the peninisula counter top when we do new counter tops. Those are good ideas! The island wouldn't actually be IN the kitchen if we went that route. It would be more toward the eat-in nook. Maybe we could just get a moveable island in there if we kept the peninsula. It all just feels so small to me. We don't own it yet. Just dreaming and hoping. Hence the Kelvinator refrigerator with the "thawing" frozen goods. :-)

Old 07-24-2011, 04:24 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,987,037 times
If I had to do anything, I would just take out the upper cabinets rather than lose the counter space, you are going to have next to none if you take out that peninsula.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:54 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
We removed a much longer peninsula for the very same reason. I love, love, love my kitchen layout now. We eliminated the eat-in area of our kitchen and made it a big kitchen. We ultimately installed new cabinets throughout the entire kitchen. Not because we ran into problems but because we decided to extend the countertop further down the wall.

I'm surprised Desertsun didn't warn you about the cabinet in the corner. The door is facing the eating area. When you remove the other cabinets, the cabinet next to the wall needs to be turned so the door is in line with the other cabinets. Not really a big deal but you will have an issue of having an unfinished side facing outward on the eating area side.

WARNING: Think of how often you use the peninsula counterspace. Prior to installing our additional new cabinets, I missed the extra counter space the peninsula had provided prior to tearing it out. (We lived with it torn out for a few months prior to renovation.) That's why we decided to extend the countertop further down the wall. If you look at your kitchen picture, you only have small sections of counterspace between all of your appliances and on either side of your sink. That's not very much workspace.

To solve the lack of counterspace you'll miss when the peninsula is removed, you could simply turn all of your peninsula cabinets and continue with the counter in a straight line down the wall, leaving an open span of space in between for bar stools to slide under the counter where there aren't cabinets and eliminating the kitchen table entirely.

btw, everyone is right---your kitchen doesn't have space for an island with those floor to ceiling cabinets along the opposite wall where they are. If you moved those tall cabinets to the wall behind the camera (if possible), then you could have more space for a island. But having an island won't solve your goal to "open up" the kitchen area. You'll have less floor space than you do now because it will be in little walking areas as opposed to the open floor space area you have now. In other words, your family members will always be running into each other if you have an island.

Whatever changes you make, plan on the cost of installing an entire new floor if you move any cabinets.

Last edited by Hopes; 07-24-2011 at 06:03 PM..

Old 07-25-2011, 07:13 AM

Hopes, I thank you for your valuable input. I wish I could turn the peninsula cabinets and run them in a straight line down the wall. However, what the photo doesn't show is a floor to ceiling window in the eating nook. We don't live in this house (yet,) so I can't get another photo. If it all works out though, I will be posting lots of photos because I think you all have wonderful insights. After everything I read, this is what I'm leaning toward: I think I'll "live with it" for awhile (the peninsula.) I will probably take out the upper cabinets and the pillar thingie, as golfgal said. The flooring is 1974, but I like it and it is in perfect shape. I don't want to replace it. :-) Thanks so much!

Old 07-25-2011, 02:31 PM

256 posts, read 1,390,241 times
I'm getting ready to cut my peninsula apart and turn the cabinets in the other direction. I am going to put the island on wheels, because there will be times when I want to use the whole kitchen to entertain and I will be able to push the island out into the hallway. My set up is almost identical to Cityflair's, except I don't have upper cabinets over the peninsula, I don't have any overhang on the counter so it can't be used as a bar, and my kitchen is much larger.

When I make the freestanding island, I will have exactly 3' of floor space on each side of it and I think that is enough.

So are all of you saying you don't think Cityflair will have enough walking space on either side if she turns her island around? How much space do you think one SHOULD have surrounding the island?

Cityflair, if you remove that one double upper cabinet and the pillar, it's going to make a huge difference in the look of everything. I'd definitely do that immediately and then live with the kitchen for a while before doing anything more drastic.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:19 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decorchallenged View Post
When I make the freestanding island, I will have exactly 3' of floor space on each side of it and I think that is enough.
My peninsula created a long U shaped galley kitchen with 4' of floor space from side to side, which is not enough room with children and dogs constantly trying to share the same space. I was always stepping over or running into someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decorchallenged View Post
So are all of you saying you don't think Cityflair will have enough walking space on either side if she turns her island around? How much space do you think one SHOULD have surrounding the island?
She won't even have 3'. Look at the picture. If her island is the same size as her stove (which would be a narrow island) she will only have the 18" of counterspace on either side of the stove plus the 10" of the fridge sticking out. That's only 3.83' total floor space divided by 2 (for how much would be left for each side of the island, which leaves her with 1.96' of floor space on each side of the island between the sink and the pantry wall of cabinets. Of course, I could be off by a few inches but roughly she would only have approximately 2' on each side of the island.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:21 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,987,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My peninsula created a long U shaped galley kitchen with 4' of floor space from side to side, which is not enough room with children and dogs constantly trying to share the same space. I was always stepping over or running into someone.

She won't even have 3'. Look at the picture. If her island is the same size as her stove (which would be a narrow island) she will only have the 18" of counterspace on either side of the stove plus the 10" of the fridge sticking out. That's only 3.83' total floor space divided by 2 (for how much would be left for each side of the island, which leaves her with 1.96' of floor space on each side of the island between the sink and the pantry wall of cabinets. Of course, I could be off by a few inches but roughly she would only have approximately 2' on each side of the island.
Good call, she wont be able to open up the oven door all the way without having to stand off to one side.
I cant see quite where the dishwasher is, but I suspect the same thing will happen with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating