Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 07:34 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,346,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Thanks! In your opinion what is a good furniture manufacturer for bedroom furniture? The last set we bought ourselves was 20 yrs ago from a national chain furniture store that pretty much sells junk but it did last us 20 yrs. Anyway, our bed is very nice looking but wobbly and IMO needs to go. When we relocated my dresser would not fit in the moving truck so we left it behind. Now we have a complete mismatch furniture set and not in a good way. I could easily go to IKEA and get a whole bedroom set for under a 1,000 bucks. I think that type of furniture is okay for my teenage son and our guest bedroom but I wanted something nice for us. Something that looks substantial, classic and we would have for a very long time. I entertained pottery barn but I do not think their stuff is really high quality. Different and stylish but not high quality. Ethan Allan seems high priced and subpar as well. I wish I could find a decent set at a second hand store and fix it up myself but we no longer have a truck to haul such projects so I am mainly looking at new.

Thoughts?
A good manufacturer is kind of dependent on your budget.

You can most definitely get a decent quality bed from Thomasville, but it's not going to be the same as a bed from Bernhardt. A bed from Pulaski isn't going to be the same as a bed from Henrendon or Hickory Chair. I can go on. So, what's the most you want to spend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 07:42 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,991,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post

You can most definitely get a decent quality bed from Thomasville, but it's not going to be the same as a bed from Bernhardt. A bed from Pulaski isn't going to be the same as a bed from Henrendon or Hickory Chair. I can go on. So, what's the most you want to spend?
Considering that a Paula Deen bed runs about $1500 for a 5/0 on the average, the OP can get something quite nice for the same amount.
Pulaski is crap.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:44 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,768,238 times
Paula Deen furniture? Really? How much butter do you put in it?

Old 01-30-2011, 09:36 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,314,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post

Excellent point. Everybody says "buy American" and "buy solid hardwood," but that simply isn't possible for some people's budgets. If someone prefers those things and is on a budget, I first always suggest they try estate sales for used pieces. But if someone would prefer new because of styling or other issues (maybe they just don't intend to keep their furniture for life), why do some people act as if they're committing a crime? I haven't seen the Paula Deen line, but Universal is far, far from being the worst furniture on the market. Buy what you like -- just don't pay full price. Like other retail items, furniture has a sizable mark-up.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:52 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,047,178 times
Unless you have endless money to keep purchasing furniture, the reason you should avoid cheaply made furniture is that it doesn't last. Years ago we bought an armoire and a long dresser and a tall dresser from Z-Gallery. The pieces weren't cheap but within 3 years, all but the tall dresser had literally fallen apart. Then we had to go out again and purchase new (and better) furniture. If there is some reason you don't mind replacing furniture every few years then by all means buy the cheap stuff.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:45 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,140,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
post me a link of what it was you liked in the Paula Deen line, and I will find you something that doesnt cost an arm and a leg that is quality stuff!
I am really picky about bedroom furniture. I don't know why maybe because it is something I do not buy often.

Here is the link to the set I like. Savannah in tobacco finish. I love the bed. The dressers are okay. I do not like that door in the center of the dresser. Reminds of early american stuff my MIL has. I also do not like the mirror. But anyway, the bed really appeals to me because of its curves on the bed posts.

Paula Deen Bedroom Furniture Set, Savannah - Bedroom Furniture - furniture - Macy's

Here are some other styles I like. In a way I am all over the place.

Farmhouse Canopy Bed | Pottery Barn

ethanallen.com - jensen headboard | ethan allen | furniture | interior design

Cherry Bedroom Furniture - Summer Hill Basket Weave Bedroom Group

My husband prefers straight lines. Why all of a sudden he has an opinion about furniture is beyond me. usually he could give a hoot. He prefers stuff like this.

JCPenney : Hampton II Queen Beds by Studio

If I do not get a canopy or a high poster bed, I would be okay with something like this. I like a paneled headboard.

Hudson Bed | Pottery Barn

but hubby said he could live with something like this.

Cherry Bedroom Furniture - Contemporary Panel Bedroom Collection

ugh...I think my budget is about 2500 dollars. I was going to spend more if the furniture is high quality. I have been thinking about buying from North Carolina.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:03 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,346,656 times
This is just my personal opinion so take it with a grain of salt.

What Macy's is asking for the Paula Deen stuff is totally in line with what most Universal furniture will cost. Furniture has a markup regardless of where you get it. A lot of interior designers charge cost plus. Which means, they'll charge you for the bed, plus a percentage markup.

The only way to buy furniture at the wholesale price is to go to market, which requires a tax ID. Even though they're not supposed to sell to the public, they do at some markets. I think it would be harder if you went to High Point, but in Mississippi you can slide by. I digress!

Personally, if you like the Paula Deen bed, just buy it. Universal, while not the best, is not bottom of the barrel either. It's in the mid-range. If it were me, I would buy the bed only and then find other pieces. Furnishing a room doesn't have to be a one stop shop, plus I think bedroom collections end up looking like a showroom display sometimes.

Other than that, I like the British Classics bed at Ethan Allen. Would I pay that much for it? That's iffy.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I am really picky about bedroom furniture. I don't know why maybe because it is something I do not buy often.

Here is the link to the set I like. Savannah in tobacco finish. I love the bed. The dressers are okay. I do not like that door in the center of the dresser. Reminds of early american stuff my MIL has. I also do not like the mirror. But anyway, the bed really appeals to me because of its curves on the bed posts.

Paula Deen Bedroom Furniture Set, Savannah - Bedroom Furniture - furniture - Macy's

Here are some other styles I like. In a way I am all over the place.

Farmhouse Canopy Bed | Pottery Barn

ethanallen.com - jensen headboard | ethan allen | furniture | interior design

Cherry Bedroom Furniture - Summer Hill Basket Weave Bedroom Group

My husband prefers straight lines. Why all of a sudden he has an opinion about furniture is beyond me. usually he could give a hoot. He prefers stuff like this.

JCPenney : Hampton II Queen Beds by Studio

If I do not get a canopy or a high poster bed, I would be okay with something like this. I like a paneled headboard.

Hudson Bed | Pottery Barn

but hubby said he could live with something like this.

Cherry Bedroom Furniture - Contemporary Panel Bedroom Collection

ugh...I think my budget is about 2500 dollars. I was going to spend more if the furniture is high quality. I have been thinking about buying from North Carolina.
The first PB bed you posted is solid wood with veneers of the same....the thing with buying furniture is to watch the verbage, how they describe it.....if there is nothing mentioned about solid wood, that means its made with MDF, with a wood veneer, or even worse, a paper finish.
Solid wood can also mean marine-grade plywood with a veneer finish, nothing wrong with that, as whatever is made that way will not warp.
Ask questions, if the sales person is worth a darn, they will know just whats in the furniture, or you can email the sites, they have to disclose, you know?
Heres the deal with buying from NC....when the furniture shows up, if its damaged in any way (and 40% of furniture dies arrive with some damage, that # is from within the industry) you are going to be responsible for shipping the furniture back to be repaired under the warranty. Local dealers that may carry the line wont touch it, you are also responsible for shipping the furniture back to yourself, so buying from NC can turn out to be a nightmare.
That being said, the best things you have posted are the canopy PB bed, and the upholstered headboard.
I really like to use upholstered headboards in my work, I have one I made myself, from my own design.
What I like about them is the fact that I like to read in bed, and also that the fabric can be changed easily if I change bedroom decor.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:28 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,140,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
The first PB bed you posted is solid wood with veneers of the same....the thing with buying furniture is to watch the verbage, how they describe it.....if there is nothing mentioned about solid wood, that means its made with MDF, with a wood veneer, or even worse, a paper finish.
Solid wood can also mean marine-grade plywood with a veneer finish, nothing wrong with that, as whatever is made that way will not warp.
Ask questions, if the sales person is worth a darn, they will know just whats in the furniture, or you can email the sites, they have to disclose, you know?
Heres the deal with buying from NC....when the furniture shows up, if its damaged in any way (and 40% of furniture dies arrive with some damage, that # is from within the industry) you are going to be responsible for shipping the furniture back to be repaired under the warranty. Local dealers that may carry the line wont touch it, you are also responsible for shipping the furniture back to yourself, so buying from NC can turn out to be a nightmare.
That being said, the best things you have posted are the canopy PB bed, and the upholstered headboard.
I really like to use upholstered headboards in my work, I have one I made myself, from my own design.
What I like about them is the fact that I like to read in bed, and also that the fabric can be changed easily if I change bedroom decor.

Thanks for the tips! Not sure which direction I will go as of yet. I did not know the issues with buying furniture from NC. Definitely do not want to pay to have something shipped back.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the tips! Not sure which direction I will go as of yet. I did not know the issues with buying furniture from NC. Definitely do not want to pay to have something shipped back.
They dont tell you about that part......I cant tell you how many times people would come into furniture stores where I was the designer, and have damage or warranty issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating