Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2011, 01:49 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,164,547 times

Advertisements

I would like some thoughts on what type of hardwood I have in my home. This house was built in 94. All my previous homes were built between the 1920's - 1940's and those homes had red oak flooring. Something I have consistent experience with. I am a bit stumped on what I have here. I originally guessed it as white oak but then it does not seem to fit the grain pattern I have seen in the stores and on line. Some of the homes in the 90's have that distressed look and times it almost seems a stain has been applied giving it a beige color. I have seen maple that tends to look more like what I have.

Here is my problem. I own a stupid dog. Sorry to all you major dog lovers but I have a very neurotic dog and when the mood strikes her, she will urinate in my living room which is carpeted. I am working with her on this but I have doubts (and so does the vet) it will be resolved. IF I am to break her of this habit, the carpet will be trashed by then. In one of the photos below you can see where I am developing pet stains and it is becoming obvious. Her urine for some reason is taking the color right out of the carpet, even before I attempt to clean it.

I have hardwood in front of the door and in the half bath. The living room is carpet along with the stairs. The hardwood picks up again in the family room. The family room is then open to the kitchen which is ceramic. I am fine with the kitchen being ceramic but what I would like to do is put hardwood in the living room. Then of course I would want to do the stairs. Then probably do the hallway upstairs so this is turning into a bigger project by the second.

How hard would it be to match my existing floors? What are these floors? Or should I just tear it all out (cringe) and re do the whole thing?

I am open to ideas. This really bums me out because I love my house and with this carpet it is starting to look terrible from the dog. Anyone want a dog?

Attachment 74536
Attachment 74535
Attachment 74537
Attachment 74538

Last edited by fallingwater; 06-11-2011 at 12:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 03:03 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,829,677 times
That's red oak, it just doesn't have any kind of stain on it. Looks like they just sanded it and left it raw.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:33 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,373,871 times
While it is hard to tell from the picture, I am going to guess White Oak. Our house was built in '95 and white oak was very common then.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
While it is hard to tell from the picture, I am going to guess White Oak. Our house was built in '95 and white oak was very common then.
Do your floors have a stain on them?

Old 01-23-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
That's red oak, it just doesn't have any kind of stain on it. Looks like they just sanded it and left it raw.
Thanks. I looked and it appears my floors have the same grain pattern as red oak but red oak has a slight reddish tone to them. I don't see where mine do.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:07 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,163,985 times
I have stacks of unfinished red oak and white oak in my piled up in my living room.

The floor in that picture is definitely oak. The question is if it's red or white.

The best way to tell the difference is to look at the cut edge, but you can't do that when it's already on the floor.

The next best way to tell the difference is the "rays" which are the little streaks that go through the wood.

Red oak has shorter rays and white oak has longer rays.

I believe that the flooring in the OP pictures are red oak because the wood appears to have short rays.

The reason you don't think your floors are red is because they aren't stained, they are just clear top coated.

But the picture you provided isn't close enough to be certain your floor has short rays. Here's a picture of red and white oak side by side:

Look at your wood. Decide if the rays (little thin lines) are short or long.

If they are short like the right side, you have red oak. If the rays are longer like the left side, you have white oak.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I have stacks of unfinished red oak and white oak in my piled up in my living room.

The floor in that picture is definitely oak. The question is if it's red or white.

The best way to tell the difference is to look at the cut edge, but you can't do that when it's already on the floor.

The next best way to tell the difference is the "rays" which are the little streaks that go through the wood.

Red oak has shorter rays and white oak has longer rays.

I believe that the flooring in the OP pictures are red oak because the wood appears to have short rays.

The reason you don't think your floors are red is because they aren't stained, they are just clear top coated.

But the picture you provided isn't close enough to be certain your floor has short rays. Here's a picture of red and white oak side by side:

Look at your wood. Decide if the rays (little thin lines) are short or long.

If they are short like the right side, you have red oak. If the rays are longer like the left side, you have white oak.
Thank you! I will have to look at them more closely to determine. I have been pricing hardwoods and apparently my tastes are exceeding my pocket book. I am going to have a professional carpet cleaner (after the weather breaks) come in and see what can be done with the carpet.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:23 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,373,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Do your floors have a stain on them?
We had red oak in our old house and we just had polyurethane on them, no stain. We have white oak in the entryway of this house and it also just has poly. The red oak was a warmer, deeper color then our white oak. My plan, some day, is to take out the white oak and replace it with red oak as well as adding wood floors to our dining room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating