Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2010, 05:47 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times

Advertisements

I like the configuration titled "view from the garage" except that both couches and end table need to be closer together - think of it as a sectional "L" sofa with the end table in between.

In the two pics titled "parallel", it is parallel to the door wall, not the fireplace.

Try the configuration with both sofas perpendicular to the fireplace.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 09:42 AM

476 posts, read 1,676,707 times
The 2nd arrangement is much better with the loveseat being to the right of the fireplace (as you face it. You should have an end table placed at the corner between them, with a lamp for reading light and to create a higher visual point(everything is the same height, furniture, bar, etc).

A high console table(about the same height of the back of your loveseat/sofa) placed immediately behind the loveseat would add some weight to your arrangement.

The biggest thing I think will help (and you mentioned this) is to get a nice LARGE (8x10 or larger) (not white or cream) area rug to anchor the space. As it is now, everything kind of "floats". Also some drapery panels hung to the outside (not blocking the glass) of your patio doors would cozy it up too.

Post pics when you get it put together - good luck!

Old 12-15-2010, 09:55 AM

19,706 posts, read 20,236,139 times
I probably would have not mounted the TV above the fireplace...lol

Old 12-15-2010, 04:08 PM

759 posts, read 3,144,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks2007 View Post

A high console table(about the same height of the back of your loveseat/sofa) placed immediately behind the loveseat would add some weight to your arrangement.

The biggest thing I think will help (and you mentioned this) is to get a nice LARGE (8x10 or larger) (not white or cream) area rug to anchor the space. As it is now, everything kind of "floats". Also some drapery panels hung to the outside (not blocking the glass) of your patio doors would cozy it up too.

Post pics when you get it put together - good luck!
I do have a console table, will try it there.

I was measuring the space for the rug, a 4x6 would fit under the coffee table. Should I put the whole ensemble on an area rug? And why not white or cream? I have a cream rug already. Any other color suggestions?

Incidentally, I don't use that door in the den. It's one of 3 entrances.

I will probably post more pics next week. I installed the transverse curtain rod, I wanted to find some curtains with pleats at the top and use drapery hooks. I found some at JCP, but would like to find something cheaper:

JCPenney : Jewel Tex Pole-Top 100Wx84"L Patio Panel

If the link doesn't show, it's the Jewel pole tex panel in spice. Haven't put them up yet, too busy with other stuff.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
I was measuring the space for the rug, a 4x6 would fit under the coffee table. Should I put the whole ensemble on an area rug? And why not white or cream? I have a cream rug already. Any other color suggestions?

I will probably post more pics next week. I installed the transverse curtain rod, I wanted to find some curtains with pleats at the top and use drapery hooks. I found some at JCP, but would like to find something cheaper:

JCPenney : Jewel Tex Pole-Top 100Wx84"L Patio Panel

If the link doesn't show, it's the Jewel pole tex panel in spice. Haven't put them up yet, too busy with other stuff.
A large area rug will really anchor the whole ensemble and make it look solid & intentional, not just barely covered or piecemeal. When doing area rugs under seating arrangements (my personal preference) is to at least fit the front feet of the two largest seating pieces on the rug, even to the center of the pieces if you can swing it. Looks a lot more comfy & luxurious to have a big cozy rug than a lot of exposed flooring.

I would choose colors that are in your fireplace, bricks (or spice as you mention), darker browns, maybe a bit of black and tie in the pretty gold wallcolor. The cream leather already gives a cool feel so more white will look too contemporary and fight against the traditional features in the room (fireplace, wainscoting, etc).

Do you have a Homegoods? They have EXCELLENT deals on rugs. You may have ot go back a few times until inventory brings something you like, but can't beat the quality for the price. Also, LOVE some of the hand hooked wool rugs Target carries right now. Mod, but oddly traditional...

If you already have a 4 x 6 cream rug stage it next to the outdoor windows. Even though you don't use those doors it will appear welcoming and crisp...

I just got two linen grommet style 84" panels in spice for $20 each at World Market Cost Plus (also online) for my kitchen nook. There are some great deals to be had out there. Pottery Barn has their Peyton Linen Drapes on sale right now - beautiful too!

Get a couple of throw pillows repeating those tones for the seating & you should be good to go!

Good luck!

Room arrangement help (pics included)-pb-peyton-gr.jpg

Room arrangement help (pics included)-pb-peyton.jpg

Old 12-15-2010, 05:19 PM

Thanks for the tips on rugs--will try it out. I just ordered these panels in chocolate from JCP.com. Came in a pair:

JCPenney : Linden Street Sheer Pinch-Pleat Panel Pair

Old 12-15-2010, 07:58 PM

Great - hope they work well for you! Be sure to post pics when you get to the next step!

Not sure why I didn't notice your Schaumburg addy before... I used to work there - down the street from Woodfield! Thank goodness Rosati's went franchise or I'd have to fly back for Chicago pizza regularly! Cheers!

Old 12-20-2010, 02:23 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the advice--lots of good ideas and I tried them out here:

Flickr: troli42's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/56729671@N05/ - broken link)

I still have to set up the piano and I also have a computer table at the other end of this room, then this feeds into the kitchen and the rest of the house.

What does everyone think?

Is the television comfortable to watch that high up?

Old 01-02-2011, 06:20 PM

Ok, I've been playing around with the den arrangement. I am leaving the end table at the end of the loveseat nearest the window. When I put it between the loveseat and the couch, it never seems to look right. I think part of the problem is that the end table has a drawer in front and it looks odd.

I have the sofa table by the back of the den nearest the door to the kitchen and garage. I tried to put it by the empy wall, but it was too bulky.

Still have to put up wall decor, but suggestions/comments are always welcome.

BTW, I took these pictures yesterday when it was very dreary outside
http://www.flickr.com/photos/organize/ (broken link)

the first 6 pics are of the den, I really wish I knew how to copy and paste photos directly from flickr!

BTW Nightcrawler, yes the TV is fine as long as the couch is back. Everytime I've gotten a new TV or stand, it always takes a few days for me to adjust to it no matter where it is or high big it is.

Last edited by purplesky; 01-02-2011 at 06:22 PM.. Reason: can't figure out flickr!

Old 01-02-2011, 06:42 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times
Quote:
Ok, I've been playing around with the den arrangement. I am leaving the end table at the end of the loveseat nearest the window. When I put it between the loveseat and the couch, it never seems to look right. I think part of the problem is that the end table has a drawer in front and it looks odd.

I have the sofa table by the back of the den nearest the door to the kitchen and garage. I tried to put it by the empy wall, but it was too bulky.

Still have to put up wall decor, but suggestions/comments are always welcome.

BTW, I took these pictures yesterday when it was very dreary outside
http://www.flickr.com/photos/organize/ (broken link)

the first 6 pics are of the den, I really wish I knew how to copy and paste photos directly from flickr!

BTW Nightcrawler, yes the TV is fine as long as the couch is back. Everytime I've gotten a new TV or stand, it always takes a few days for me to adjust to it no matter where it is or high big it is.

The large empty wall needs a narrow console table with a mirror or artwork above it to add interest to that wall.

entrances/foyers - black console table framed art black gold white entrance foyer Glossy black lacquer console table-modern! black gold white table&searchType=photos

dining rooms - buffet wall art orchid lamps gray black brown entrance foyer HGTV Green Home! Rustic cabinet console table! painted gray table&searchType=photos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating