Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 03:30 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,882,182 times

Advertisements

I'll most likely be purchasing a ranch home built in 1960 in the next few months, and I've gotten really into mid-century architecture/decor recently and want to decorate the home in an at least semi-'authentic' style. I've looked online for vintage wallpaper, but most of what's available seems to be ACTUAL vintage wallpaper - meaning, you'll be buying a roll that was manufactured in 1960 (or whenever). The problem is, some of these can be kind of expensive. I was wondering if any wallpaper manufacturers (besides the ones that only do ridiculously expensive 'custom' work) offer any 'retro'/mid-century designs. The only one I've found so far that might be an option is Home Depot's "the Wallpaper Company," which offers (intentionally) retro styles like these:

Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 07:45 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,556,581 times
I think both of those are pretty awesome!!

I know on an episode of "Sarah's House" she found a place (Boston I think?) that did custom wall paper - actually semi-affordably.

I don't know how many company's are going to be mass producing the retro styles, because they just may not have the demand.

I think it looks cool though - and if it makes you happy - go for it!

Old 09-24-2010, 07:49 PM

17,477 posts, read 66,104,344 times
Reproductions:

http://www.melinamadefabrics.com/Sto...3?cookie_set=/+

Old 09-25-2010, 04:15 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,308,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
I'll most likely be purchasing a ranch home built in 1960 in the next few months, and I've gotten really into mid-century architecture/decor recently and want to decorate the home in an at least semi-'authentic' style. I've looked online for vintage wallpaper, but most of what's available seems to be ACTUAL vintage wallpaper - meaning, you'll be buying a roll that was manufactured in 1960 (or whenever). The problem is, some of these can be kind of expensive. I was wondering if any wallpaper manufacturers (besides the ones that only do ridiculously expensive 'custom' work) offer any 'retro'/mid-century designs. The only one I've found so far that might be an option is Home Depot's "the Wallpaper Company," which offers (intentionally) retro styles like these:

Any other suggestions?
Try here:

wallpaper

Old 09-25-2010, 10:34 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,546,616 times
I haven't looked for any but love the two that you showed. I like the second one best. Have you looked locally besides HD/Lowe's?

Old 09-25-2010, 02:50 PM

You may also want to try Graham & Brown.

Home Decor Wallpaper | Wall Coverings | Graham & Brown

Not all of it is "retro" but there are plenty of retro patterns in there. We're going to have this hung on one wall in our foyer:

Trippy Charcoal Wallpaper

Our house was built in the 1950s and this is a 1970s pattern but we're not dogmatic about retro. We just like the pattern.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:59 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,101,269 times
David Hicks 1960s Hexagonal Wallpaper Design manufactured today by Cole & Son

Old 09-26-2010, 12:28 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,334,002 times
Do yourself a HUGE favor and skip the wallpaper .

If you HAVE to have it, you are better off with the reproductions as they will be prepasted rolls and easier to remove down the road. I could have given you all the scraps from our old house, from every wall and a few of the ceilings that we scraped and scraped and scraped.....NEVER AGAIN will I use wallpaper. .

Old 09-26-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Do yourself a HUGE favor and skip the wallpaper .

If you HAVE to have it, you are better off with the reproductions as they will be prepasted rolls and easier to remove down the road. I could have given you all the scraps from our old house, from every wall and a few of the ceilings that we scraped and scraped and scraped.....NEVER AGAIN will I use wallpaper. .
But if you already have wallpaper it's easier to find a new one that you like and paper over the old stuff than it is to scrape off the old wallpaper. Sometimes the old wallpaper can't even be removed without significant damage to the drywall and in extreme cases large sections of drywall have to be replaced.

My foyer has wallpaper on one wall only and it will be faster and cheaper to find a paper I like to put over the old stuff than it would be to remove the paper, texture over it (which is a cheap crappy shortcut), or re-hang the drywall.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:35 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,914,257 times
Maharam Textiles of the 20th Century line. These aren't 'reproductions' or 'inspired bys'--these are the original designs made in the 50s and 60s, and the manufacturer has held on to the production licenses since then.

You can look at them here, choose the binder 'Textiles of the 20th century' and scroll through to look at the ones labeled "walls" (not seating or windows).

They have a lot of other retro-looking wallcoverings in the other digital 'binders' but they aren't true vintage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating