Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 04:34 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,537,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
But if you already have wallpaper it's easier to find a new one that you like and paper over the old stuff than it is to scrape off the old wallpaper. Sometimes the old wallpaper can't even be removed without significant damage to the drywall and in extreme cases large sections of drywall have to be replaced.

My foyer has wallpaper on one wall only and it will be faster and cheaper to find a paper I like to put over the old stuff than it would be to remove the paper, texture over it (which is a cheap crappy shortcut), or re-hang the drywall.
YIKES!

Even when rewallpapering, your supposed to remove the old wallpaper!

I'm glad I'm not buying your house. If you think removing one layer of wallpaper is hard, just removing two layers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 05:23 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,506,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
YIKES!

Even when rewallpapering, your supposed to remove the old wallpaper!

I'm glad I'm not buying your house. If you think removing one layer of wallpaper is hard, just removing two layers!
Well gee, it's a good thing my house isn't for sale.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:50 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,164,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Sometimes the old wallpaper can't even be removed without significant damage to the drywall and in extreme cases large sections of drywall have to be replaced.
As the saying goes in old-house land: "Sometime wallpaper is structural". Especially when dealing with old plaster. I'm guessing that's the reason the textured, paintable wallpaper was invented.

I like all the suggestions here so far. Also spotted some retro-inspired prints at Anthropologie today.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:28 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,506,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
As the saying goes in old-house land: "Sometime wallpaper is structural". Especially when dealing with old plaster. I'm guessing that's the reason the textured, paintable wallpaper was invented.

I like all the suggestions here so far. Also spotted some retro-inspired prints at Anthropologie today.
I thought about the textured paintable stuff; Graham and Brown has one that I really like. Then I realized that the texture would collect dust. I don't need another thing to dust!

Old 09-28-2010, 10:09 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,539,137 times
Those are all really cool! Check out retrorenovation.com for possible sources too.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:16 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,860,147 times
I would only wallpaper if I was planning on staying in my home for a lengthy period, and then I would be planning on removing it, if I wanted to sell my home. Wallpaper was all the rage in the 60's-80's, and some of us (like me) remember the dreaded removing and redoing.

It is a really great way to eclipse your style, but I do think your room becomes dated much quicker.

Having said that, there are some great choices here. Very reminiscent of the 70's and 80's for me

Old 09-29-2010, 08:49 AM

50,657 posts, read 64,776,014 times
I wonder if you've thought of watching some of the great old 1960's movies for decor inspiration? You might get some good ideas. I'm thinking of the Doris Day, James Garner, Tony Randall, Rock Hudson movies. Auntie Mame would be another good one. You could have a "total immersion" 60's film festival, and see how the rooms were decorated.

I, too, am a wallpaper hater, but I can understand how in very small doses, wallpaper can be a great design asset.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:19 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,836,393 times
I hate removing wallpaper!!!
If you are selling your house anytime soon, please don't wallpaper it. It is a nightmare to remove it, especially when the previous owner had overlapped 10 layers.

However, I am a true wallpaper lover. If used properly, and tastefully, it is a huge decoration asset to a house.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:14 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,899,261 times
Thanks for all the awesome ideas and links, everyone!! The C-D decorating section is *way* more helpful than I ever imagined.. I'll have to start hanging out here more often. (The Northern Virgnia section might be one of the more active around here, but even it gets boring after awhile.. heh. )

Anyway, now I'm looking at a house built in 1940, too (and still have my eye on the 1960 ranch I originally mentioned), so I've expanded my chronological era a bit to include the immediately pre- (the tail end of Art Deco, if you will) and post-WWII (modernism's beginnings, roughly) periods. Bradbury & Bradbury Art Wallpaper is an amazing site for this time period:

Bradbury & Bradbury Art Wallpapers | Historic Wallpapers | Victorian, Arts & Crafts, Art Deco, Damask, '40s, '50s and '60s Wallpaper

And those trying to talk me out of wallpaper.. not gonna happen.. hehe. (I do understand where you're coming from, though.. I have relatives with excellent taste who are also wallpaper-phobic; I just like to push the envelope a bit. ) Mind you, I don't want my entire house plastered in wallpaper (though it can look absolutely fab in an older house, like a Victorian, particularly if the wallpaper is the real deal [but hasn't brittled]), but I do absolutely adore quirky/artistic paper used in moderation. I'm also comletely enamored of linoleum lately (not vinyl - though I'm not exactly one of those 'ewww, vinyl, icky' people, either - actual linoleum), both the square tiles (particularly in 3-4 related shades) and the larger pieces cut in custom patterns (say, an abstract flower on the floor of the laundry room).

Old 10-01-2010, 08:16 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,539,137 times
I recently went on a house tour of Arapahoe Acres(Arapahoe Acres Historic District), a mid-century mod neighborhood in Denver, and a few houses had grass wallpaper on the ceilings between beams. It looked great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating