Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2010, 10:23 PM

2 posts, read 4,082 times

Advertisements

So I ripped up my old linoleum hoping the wood floor underneath was salvagable. After spending 3 nights working on it (setting nails, removing glue, sanding, filling the house with dust, etc.) I've decided it's not going to work.

It's basically a subfloor anyways but thought it would be alright and have a distressed look but there's just more work than is worth (lots of rotten boards, big gaps, seams not lining up, for a floor that won't end up all that nice.

...so the rest of the main floor has 1.5" wide oak stained with a golden oak stain and I'm worried about putting a something similar because it will look like it's supposed to match, but won't, and I'm worried about putting a different color/style wood cause it will make it feel choppy. The house has a lot of dark wood trim (it's an old victorian) and I'm having trouble figuring out an affordable solution.

That might not be enough info for some people to really get a feel for what it is, I'll try and take a photo to really see what's going on.

Any ideas are very appreciated, my wife has been putting up with project after project and this one is not good having the kitchen tore up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 11:40 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,117,463 times
I think it's worse when a wood floor 'almost' matches the rest of the house. Either go with a wood floor that's completely different or choose a natural stone tile floor instead.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:35 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,061,697 times
Ceramic tile is great too - Wilsonart has some wonderful flooring that looks exactly like stone but isn't and has a slight bounce/cushion to it that makes it wonderful for cooks to stand on (stone/cermaic tile floors can be hard on the back, feet and legs when standing for extended periods of time). There are so many different wonderful types of floorings - don't limit yourself by considering only one or two choices - really get out there and look.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:57 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,988,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I think it's worse when a wood floor 'almost' matches the rest of the house.

Such almost gives the impression that you tried but gave up instead.

If you don't mind it being a hard surface, consider tile, whether natural stone or ceramic/porcelain. If you want something softer underfoot, consider cork or resilient vinyl.

Do take care of the rotten boards first, though. No point of putting a new floor on top of a bad base.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:02 PM

2 posts, read 4,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post

Such almost gives the impression that you tried but gave up instead.

If you don't mind it being a hard surface, consider tile, whether natural stone or ceramic/porcelain. If you want something softer underfoot, consider cork or resilient vinyl.

Do take care of the rotten boards first, though. No point of putting a new floor on top of a bad base.
I agree almost matching would be the worst... although a clash wouldn't be good either. I found a couple options I'm going to get boxes of and lay out.

I'll definitely take care of the rot, I just won't need to find matching boards and stagger all the seems etc.

Thanks, I'll post back after I get my samples.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:42 AM

3 posts, read 23,133 times
what is the cost of tile per sq foot to have installed??????

Old 11-06-2010, 11:44 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,988,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markkiedo View Post
what is the cost of tile per sq foot to have installed??????
Somewhere between $0.00 sq.ft. if you have the skills to DIY and already have all the tools and supplies ... oh, $10,000 sq.ft. if your subfloors are so bad you're having to reconstruct the floor before any tile can go on.

More to the point, this question is way too vague. What's the gauge, size, and type of tile? What kind of floor is it going over - wood or concrete? If wood, what's it's condition, the sheeting thickness and how's the structure underneath constructed? Is the floor very level, somewhat level, or very unlevel? Every one of these are variables and for anyone to give you a price sight unseen is just foolish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating