Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2010, 08:10 PM

8,831 posts, read 10,322,093 times

Advertisements

Anyone out there watching? Wisconsin won tonight leaving BC and Miami (ohio)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 08:49 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,379,104 times
I haven't watched, but am of the opinion that this suggests that Ford Field would be a better home for the Red Wings than sharing a venue with the Pistons. Granted there would be some overlap of seasons between the Wings and the Lions, but far less than with the Pistons. Am I the only one? Of course I don't follow football so maybe there considerations of having the playing field covered with ice on alternate days.

Regardless, any event that casts a favorable light on Detroit is A-Okay with me. I am glad to see the Ilitches and Bill Ford working together for the benefit of Detroit and Michigan. Hmmmmmmm,.......... now if they could just agree on a deal where you get a year of free Little Caeser's for every new Ford vehicle you buy!

Old 04-09-2010, 12:36 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,751,849 times
haven't watched it. Was rooting for RIT though. Sadly they lost

Old 04-09-2010, 04:18 PM

17,029 posts, read 31,061,985 times
Didnt see it, will watch the final Saturday.

I dont like tournaments on football fields or domes. Hockey is best sited for a 15-20000 seat arena.

I like the winter classic but this is different.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:18 PM

22,855 posts, read 48,186,900 times
RIT fan too..
sad that they lost, but glad they got that far!

Old 04-09-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Didnt see it, will watch the final Saturday.

I dont like tournaments on football fields or domes. Hockey is best sited for a 15-20000 seat arena.

I like the winter classic but this is different.
There were several stories on the local news here while they were transforming the field to an ice rink. They did a very good job getting the rink as close to the bleachers as possible on three sides, and on the fourth side there is floor seating. Not sure how well that works after four or five rows back, but those first few rows have spectacular views.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:21 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,577,906 times
sorry, but this is a horrible location. I know and feel sorry for the MI economy (I"m a Wings fan) but there are sooo many empty seats there. It's cavernous and there's no atmosphere, where are the teams bands even?

they should've just had it at the Joe.

they clearly held it here for a money grab and there are tons of open seats. Fail. I understand MI'ers not coming out b/c of the economy but the whole reason to hold it there was for more seats like the BB Final Four at Lucas Field.

and then there's the issue with the ice as this isn't a hockey arena. The ice has tumbled b/t good and bad depending on the weather. Ford field doesn't have the natural ability to be cooled like a hockey specific arena.

like I say, the atmosphere is just horrible with no bands or crowd noise.

anything for a buck I guess.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:34 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,524,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
I haven't watched, but am of the opinion that this suggests that Ford Field would be a better home for the Red Wings than sharing a venue with the Pistons. Granted there would be some overlap of seasons between the Wings and the Lions, but far less than with the Pistons. Am I the only one? Of course I don't follow football so maybe there considerations of having the playing field covered with ice on alternate days.

Regardless, any event that casts a favorable light on Detroit is A-Okay with me. I am glad to see the Ilitches and Bill Ford working together for the benefit of Detroit and Michigan. Hmmmmmmm,.......... now if they could just agree on a deal where you get a year of free Little Caeser's for every new Ford vehicle you buy!

Are the Wings thinking of playing in the Palace? I haven't been following this year.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:44 PM

The Wings' lease with the Joe expires this year. There has been a great deal acrimony on the part of Oakland county executives towards the new Detroit mayor, Dave Bing, for his suggestion to build an arena in Detroit that could house both the Pistons and the Wings. Bing, being a former Piston, would like to see them return to the city. L. Brooks Patterson got his nose all out of shape about Detroit trying to steal the Pistons from Auburn Hills and suggested maybe the Wings would be happier in Oakland county. Like we don't enough to worry about in Michigan... we've got international terrorists trying to blow up lanes on Christmas and home-grown terrorists trying to murder the police,...... and where our sports teams play is what some of our leaders focus on....... gimme a break!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey