Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 01:51 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,980,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Well considering you and me will never be invited over for dinner,I can't answer that. Also we don't know how his family is now. Really....a gut feeling tells me its a very unhappy situation ? I've had players on my teams before that have done bad things and i'm happy when they win but at the same time I show no support. I'm a Yankee fan and I remember when Clemens used us to drive up his price,then he went to Toronto. I have no problem with that.....business is business and a player getting as much as he can is what hes supposed to do....if it gets into a bidding war thats even better.....its no different than selling your house and having multiple offers that can be used to have the buyers compete with competitive offers. I never forgot that,and that was nowhere near what Brodeur has done. As far as his kids go,who knows how they feel about him? Really.....how would you feel if your Dad did that to you ? Again, my gut tells me I'd never look at him the same as I did before ? You still haven't answered me though. If Brodeur was a Flyer all this time,what would you do? Would you still be a Flyer fan,or what?
He'd get the same amount of respect as Michael Vick.....none. I don't know if you've ever noticed but the Flyers organization doesn't put up with that type of internal crap as it is a distraction to the focus of the team.......they may put up with it for awhile if its on ice behavior and they feel they can "rehabilitate" a player but even with a player the caliber of Lindros they got tired of his off ice problems (and parents) and traded him away even though he won quite a few games for the Flyers. They may tolerate some issues but in case you didn't know the straw that broke the camels back with Lindros was when he cheated with another players wife. No one with any self respect or character wants to play with a cheater so he was gone as the Flyers just won't tolerate that so I really didn't have to make a decision whether to be a fan or not......Flyer management did what needed to be done even though he was the best player on the team ....image and self respect are important to them.....not so with the Devils and Mr. Brodeur. Apparently they will tolerate just about anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 03:11 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,155,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
He'd get the same amount of respect as Michael Vick.....none. I don't know if you've ever noticed but the Flyers organization doesn't put up with that type of internal crap as it is a distraction to the focus of the team.......they may put up with it for awhile if its on ice behavior and they feel they can "rehabilitate" a player but even with a player the caliber of Lindros they got tired of his off ice problems (and parents) and traded him away even though he won quite a few games for the Flyers. They may tolerate some issues but in case you didn't know the straw that broke the camels back with Lindros was when he cheated with another players wife. No one with any self respect or character wants to play with a cheater so he was gone as the Flyers just won't tolerate that so I really didn't have to make a decision whether to be a fan or not......Flyer management did what needed to be done even though he was the best player on the team ....image and self respect are important to them.....not so with the Devils and Mr. Brodeur. Apparently they will tolerate just about anything.
Unfortunately to some organizations winning is more important than anything else,but I asked a question that still hasn't been answered. If Brodeur was a Flyer and your team had no intention of getting rid of him,what would you do? Don't tell me your team wouldn't keep him. Just give a straight answer to the question. Would you be a fan or not? Feel free to elaborate.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:44 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,980,477 times
Quote:
Unfortunately to some organizations winning is more important than anything else,but I asked a question that still hasn't been answered. If Brodeur was a Flyer and your team had no intention of getting rid of him,what would you do? Don't tell me your team wouldn't keep him. Just give a straight answer to the question. Would you be a fan or not? Feel free to elaborate.
First....I can tell you that the Flyers wouldn't keep him as they traded their best player ever, Lindros, because of unacceptable off ice behavior detrimental to the team.
Second....to answer your question my loyality is to the team ....not an individual player.....so yes I would follow and continue to support the team but not the individual hoping the team would do the right thing ? Fortunately, as history supports, the Flyers always seem to do the right thing for the "team" and I wouldn't have the concern of them keeping a guy like Brodeur when his off ice behavior demonstrates a clear lack of character that affects the image of the team. Ed Snider is a class owner who just doesn't want a player whos off ice behavior reflects badly on the team no matter how well he plays. Again....don't confuse off ice and on ice problems where we taken on players with past "questional" on ice behavior problems with the hopes of rehabilitating their "game" and giving them a second chance....many of whom do not work out and are quickly traded.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
First....I can tell you that the Flyers wouldn't keep him as they traded their best player ever, Lindros, because of unacceptable off ice behavior detrimental to the team.
Second....to answer your question my loyality is to the team ....not an individual player.....so yes I would follow and continue to support the team but not the individual hoping the team would do the right thing ? Fortunately, as history supports, the Flyers always seem to do the right thing for the "team" and I wouldn't have the concern of them keeping a guy like Brodeur when his off ice behavior demonstrates a clear lack of character that affects the image of the team. Ed Snider is a class owner who just doesn't want a player whos off ice behavior reflects badly on the team no matter how well he plays. Again....don't confuse off ice and on ice problems where we taken on players with past "questional" on ice behavior problems with the hopes of rehabilitating their "game" and giving them a second chance....many of whom do not work out and are quickly traded.
Finally,thank you. I feel exactly the same way.On my Yankees there have been quite a few over the years who I don't support like Arod and Clemens. I would rather have a good clubhouse guy who puts up adequate numbers,then a star who's a piece of garbage.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:12 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,343,933 times
Quote:
I would keep him unless you get a really good trade I am a canucks fan so we had bertuzzi draw alot of bad press and it affected our season

Old 02-26-2010, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I would keep him unless you get a really good trade I am a canucks fan so we had bertuzzi draw alot of bad press and it affected our season
I agree,can't just give a guy away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey