Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2009, 11:02 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,425,771 times

Advertisements

Hubby and I went to our first NHL game last night - Preds and Panthers. Amazing game. I enjoyed it wayyyyyy more than I ever dreamed I could have.

Except..........

Some ditz and her husband decided to bring their 2 young kids to the game. And my luck held up, as they got seated right next to us!

Kids were probably 4 and 6 years old. They most likely have no clue what's going on. It's at the Preds stadium and in the beginning of the game the 6 or so year old announces he wants the Panthers to win. Yeh, it's a kid thing, but it's annoying.

Then he spends an hour gabbing with mom about the book he wants to read at bed time and any other topic on the face of the planet except hockey. And he's getting more and more wound up and bouncing around.

Then everytime something happens and you yell at the stupid ref for a call or whatever, oh man do you get nasty looks from mom. Excuse me, it's a hockey game. Did you really think we'd all decide that since you brought your precious little off spring that we'd be yelling 'boo, that's not a nice call. Oh shoot and darn'. I mean really lady! Have you ever watched hockey??

Then the next hour was spent with Johnny bouncing up and down in the seat and deciding if he lets it fold up and climbs on it, it'll fall and he can slip down into it and that's the greatest game ever. He attempts to eat and drink as he does this, spilling food and drink on me.

Now, I'll be the first to tell you, I've raised my kids (5 of them) and now that they're just about all gone (one left in her last year of high school and nursing school) I have no tolerance for kids. But this was over the top!

The last wonderful hour was spent with both kids now tired and in a place they don't want to be. To show their displeasure with this arrangement they've decided to throw tantrums. Kicking, screaming, crying, ear piercing shreiks. The whole freaking nine yards!!

Honestly, why in the world would you bring little kids to a hockey game? Dad wanted nothing at all to do with them, and seemed a bit ticked. My guess is he decided to go, but mom decided they're spending 'family time' together, demanding they tag along. Great. Nothing like ruining his night, and ours.

Don't get me wrong - excellent game. I've not had that much fun in ages. But I could have tossed that entire family on the ice and used them for hockey pucks by the end of the night. Why in the world can't people leave their screaming poo machines at home with a sitter? Or have the arena set up a family zone at the very least?

My peace is said.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 12:31 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,733,929 times
1st of all. were the kids sitting next to you or were one of the parents. If it was the kids that would be stupid. i grew up in a family of 5. whenever the ffamily would go out. Our parents would put us in the middle. Mom and Dad flamked my brothers and I. Moreso a safety thing.
i went to my 1st hockey game when i was in 2nd grade. i watched the game. but yes if the parents bring their kids it's their job to take care of the kids.
U said the kids were hyper. Well were the parents giving the kids every kind of sugary treat to buy. in addition if you want a family event take the family to something everyone would like.
Also why should a parent give you dirty looks. thats something they should expect especially for sports. yes you can hold back dropping f bombs but you expext the whole arena to keep their mouth shut. what you want the players on the ice too, to talk nice. HA its bad enough Bettman's screwing the league up

Old 11-29-2009, 06:54 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,854,400 times
Not all parents have a place to bring their kids when they go out. Yes it can get expensive.. don't really know the ticket prices in Nashville; can't imagine them to be that high.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:29 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,341,162 times
From my experience, it happens at all sports not just hockey.

I understand completely the OP's gripes, kids at that age just aren't into the experience of watching a good game. I speak from experience of having 5-year old twins that I have taken to tons of games. They get bored, want to eat the stadium food, get sugared up, then want to go to the bathroom, spill drinks, etc.

Now with that said, I make sure that my kids behave accordingly unlike what I had to deal with on Friday when I took them to the UFL championship. Between the 3 kids directly behind me who put their feet on the seat backs kicking me in the process several times, to jumping all over the place whenever the TV cameras were in the vicinity, finally whenever we got up to go to the bathroom they would attempt to get into our seats to which I told them sternly to get out and get back into their own seats. (These kids were closer to 8-9 years old).

Then you have the guy 3 rows further back who at every bad play drops the f bomb loud enough for the entire section to hear. I've taken my family to Caps games, Maryland football, Redskins games, Orioles games, Red Sox games at Fenway, and Phillies games in Philly. The same scene has played out in each. Unfortunately, not everyone has the ability to drop kids off at a babysitter and sports teams are more interested in revenue from alcohol sales rather than create a "family" section.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:03 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,037,589 times
Golfinnova...actually the Philadelphia Flyers do have a family section.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:19 AM

Golfinnova's right it does happen everywhere. I do admit it does get annoying. however sometimes the children are the adults at these events. I admit that i have acted out way more than i needed at sporting events. there are many others including alcohol that'll increase this

Old 11-30-2009, 08:47 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,425,771 times
I never dropped the f bomb, not even close. Even a 'crap' was enough for her to shoot daggers. It's a sporting event. I"m sorry, but if you've raised your kid in a closet don't take them.

One of my co-workers and his wife take their kids as well. But their kids are into hockey. I wouldn't have minded if the kid was into the game. And not playing jungle gym in the seats. And not dumping food / drinks on me. Gah!!!

Yes, the kids were on the outside with mom sitting furthest away from me. My kids always got sandwiched between hubby and I too. Not only to control them, but because I wanted to protect them.

Sad that it happens at all events. I think a family section would be welcomed by most people.

Good for the Flyers. That's my hubby's team.

And prices for the seats we were in were $29 each. Not bad at all. Of course they make up for it with the $4.25 hot dogs and $5.50 sodas and $4.00 bottles of water. Needless to say, we did not enjoy a $8.00 can of low rate beer. Oh well, lesson learned. Eat dinner before attending and snack at the game.

All that aside, we'll definitely be going again. I looked into season tickets today.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:58 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,024,547 times
what bugs me is when the person or group in front of you or to the side get up every 15 minutes to get something to eat, I see families loading up coming back with a different food everytime or beer, they must be dropping at least $100 bucks on food and gear.

then I have to keep moving out of the way so they can get by or if they are infront of me they keep blocking my view, its more of a social event for some people, I guess I dont expect for them to actually pay any attention to the game.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:09 PM

family sections are needed and yeah it does get annoying when people constantly get up. especially during play. Plus yes safety. and i grew up watching hockey. so as i kid it was an adventure for me going.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:52 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,037,589 times
Me and dh were at a Phillies game, great seats between home plate and first base. Our seats were on the aisle, another plus! A family comes in, grand parents and a couple with a baby. They told us how excited they were, it was their grandson's first game. He was 3 months old! Well mom kept getting up with baby, so we had to keep getting up. During the 4th inning grand mom reaches over and taps me on the knee. She wanted us to give Mom and baby the aisle seats. I told her thanks, but no thanks. The baby kept crying and they finally left after the 5th inning. I know it was way too loud at the park for a baby. What has happened to common sense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey