Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 02:47 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,237,767 times

Advertisements

i'm just glad they didn't blackout the CSN feed on center ice last night - they did that last year when they had the games on versus - stuck with their crap broadcast and to make it worse most of the games were "join in progress"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 04:07 PM

22,616 posts, read 47,741,590 times
Crap, now NBC is playing games...

"NBC, the channel that has used the Pittsburgh Penguins and Sidney Crosby in just about every commercial since the network started airing hockey games, is refusing to let the team show game three of the Penguins/Flyers series on the giant screen outside the arena." from the Pensblog.

Local station statement
Statement From Channel 11 Regarding Pens Game On The Big Screen - Sports News Story - WPXI Pittsburgh

Old 04-17-2009, 04:34 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,356,000 times
Pitt Chick, I do not say this to rub salt into the wound, but now maybe you all can appreciate how Wings fans felt when they were refused the right to buy tickets to game 3 last year. The teams belong to their fans as much as to the owners and for any government, news or private concern to deny the fans access is ludicrous. I am willing to bet the economy in Pittsburgh isn't any better than here in Detroit; the powers that be are losing a huge chance to say thank you to those who have supported them. Shame on the owners and the city for not stepping up to this bully.

Last edited by MICoastieMom; 04-17-2009 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 04-17-2009, 04:42 PM

22,616 posts, read 47,741,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
Shame on the owners and the city for not stepping up to this bully.
It is between the NHL and NBC...
the city and the owners, even the local NBC affiliate, have no say in the matter. A big e-mail writing campaign in being touted though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
I am willing to bet the economy in Pittsburgh isn't any better than here in Detroit
Actually, our unemployment rate is below the national average. Many places are hiring.
And our housing did not have the huge drop that was seen elsewhere. Many places increased in value last year (ours is up 5%)!
As the Pittsburgh mayor said -- We weren't invited to the party, so we don't have the hangover.

Sorry... that was OT for a hockey board...

So now, ESPN is looking better and better to me!

Old 04-17-2009, 09:03 PM

8,805 posts, read 10,255,341 times
How about the Hurricanes tonight!? total different team from Wed. night. Tim Gleason of all people gets the game-winner in Overtime, Gleason had zero goals all season too, no better time than now. 1-1 going back to Raleigh.

Pittsburgh won in OT as well.

MICoastie, I'm not by any means attacking you or your point of view, but I don't hear these annoucers 'dissing' Detroit like you say they are.

As for ESPN, they confused my team for the Carolina Panthers in their playoff preview, what's even more funny is they used the Florida Panthers logo, as this point they can kiss off, even if they show hockey next year, they'll cut into broadcasts to keep us all up to date on the latest a-roid and other NY-Boston baseball and football issues, just get VS into more homes.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:54 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,065,976 times
Vancouver... lovely city I suppose... some pretty scenery around there... and probably a few decent nice people there too... maybe even a dog worth petting... but, durn it all to hades, do I fricking despise this Canuck hockey team... almost, alllllllllmost as much as Detroit...

Old 04-17-2009, 11:12 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,344,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
Vancouver... lovely city I suppose... some pretty scenery around there... and probably a few decent nice people there too... maybe even a dog worth petting... but, durn it all to hades, do I fricking despise this Canuck hockey team... almost, alllllllllmost as much as Detroit...
Well Andy Murray was ready to jump into the Vancouver bench after the game ended. It will be an interesting first 5 minutes when they get back to Scottrade Center.

Changing gears and going to my Caps against Rangers tomorrow on NBC (1E/10P). Starting goalie will be last minute decision by Boudreau, I think he'll start Theodore but he will be on a very short leash. Need Ovechkin to have a huge game to get Lundqvist off his game.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:26 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,356,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
MICoastie, I'm not by any means attacking you or your point of view, but I don't hear these annoucers 'dissing' Detroit like you say they are.
The worst offender from NBC apparently isn't doing the broadcasts anymore. I haven't seen him any time I have watched a Wings game on NBC this year. I normally only watch the Wings play on Fox Sports with local announcers or on HNC on the Windsor channel. We will see if the coverage is more even-handed this year. I don't mind honest criticism if it is deserved, but when you can marvel about the players on one team, and only criticize the other team, or completely ignore their accomplishments, I think that is one-sided and prejudicial coverage. Certainly individual and team stats for the Wings for the past few years would warrent some positive comments from the announcers.

And yes, they do 'dis' Detroit as well. During the Winter classic, there was mention made of the mess created by former mayor Kilpatrick, but not a word about the Illinois governor. Kilpatrick had as much influence over the Wings as Rod Blagojevich did with the Hawks...... none. This was definitely a case of if you can't say something nice, don't say anything.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:29 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,429,608 times
Id like to see Philly actually WIN against Crosby's stupid Pens. UGH I friggin HATE the Pens. Is Cindy (Sidney) sporting his 3 hairs that he calls a "mustache" for this years Playoffs?

I want to see my Hawks stick it to Iginla again tonight. LETS GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-18-2009, 10:32 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,736,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Id like to see Philly actually WIN against Crosby's stupid Pens. UGH I friggin HATE the Pens. Is Cindy (Sidney) sporting his 3 hairs that he calls a "mustache" for this years Playoffs?

I want to see my Hawks stick it to Iginla again tonight. LETS GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!
i am rooting for the Flyers also, just for MArty Biron I love that guy but now they are 2 in the hole. Come on Briere what the Hell ya doing. I hope that Drury and the Rangers can win 3 more agaisnt the Ovechkins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey