Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 09:24 PM

137 posts, read 658,377 times

Advertisements

What was the reason the Nords franchise relocated to Denver? I totally forget. I would like to see them get a team again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 09:55 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,123,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry2 View Post
What was the reason the Nords franchise relocated to Denver? I totally forget. I would like to see them get a team again!
What rules the world? Nope, not love... but $$$. Franchise was going down the financial drains, Denver made sweet offer, they moved - improved market, in a nut shell.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:52 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,234,860 times
Canadians had no respect for this team and even idiots like Lindros refused to play there.This franchise was an accident waiting to happen.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:11 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,580,176 times
Lack of corporate support, weak Canadian dollar, not getting the 2002 Olympics (that would have = new arena) and fan reaction after the first lockout killed the franchise.
They never had an issue actually putting fans in the seats, except for the time right before they left.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Canadians had no respect for this team and even idiots like Lindros refused to play there.This franchise was an accident waiting to happen.
lol, that was goofy... didn't he stay out for a year or so? Refusing to show up? Seem to recall him also not wearing their jersey, just holding it up, like it was poisonous or such? That was one amazing trade, him for something like 6 or some other players & picks & $$$millions? LOL, one of those players being Forsberg. Recall that was a heady time - going from bottom barrel feeders to top tier team, and then many years of success thereafter.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:15 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,552,449 times
At least they still have the LNAH up there.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:43 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,234,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
lol, that was goofy... didn't he stay out for a year or so? Refusing to show up? Seem to recall him also not wearing their jersey, just holding it up, like it was poisonous or such? That was one amazing trade, him for something like 6 or some other players & picks & $$$millions? LOL, one of those players being Forsberg. Recall that was a heady time - going from bottom barrel feeders to top tier team, and then many years of success thereafter.
I couldn't believe he pulled this crap.To be signed by any pro team should be enough,but because it wasn't his favorite team he didn't play.I can't remember but I think he was a Montreal fan and didn't play for them anyway.In basketball Danny Ferry did this too when he wouldn't play for the Clippers when he came into the league.They should have been tossed out of the league.To get the priviledge and at such a high salary to do something you love is priceless.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
I couldn't believe he pulled this crap.To be signed by any pro team should be enough,but because it wasn't his favorite team he didn't play.I can't remember but I think he was a Montreal fan and didn't play for them anyway.In basketball Danny Ferry did this too when he wouldn't play for the Clippers when he came into the league.They should have been tossed out of the league.To get the priviledge and at such a high salary to do something you love is priceless.
Agreed. BTW, recall something about his mom was helping to direct him - similar to other instances where kid takes direction from a parent, and then acts in manner as to what appears to many people as being a prima donna type.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:04 PM

17,029 posts, read 31,105,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
Agreed. BTW, recall something about his mom was helping to direct him - similar to other instances where kid takes direction from a parent, and then acts in manner as to what appears to many people as being a prima donna type.

Dad was his agent, and we saw how well that went negotiating w Bobby Clarke and the Flyers. Sad for Quebec fans they were the alsorans in the province. Avs got a sweet deal, and no way was Patty Roy going to get shipped to Q City.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:39 PM

1,821 posts, read 3,811,747 times
Quote:
The Nordiques were a very colorful team, and I am glad they did not have a loser like Lindros on their team. I always thought their attendance there had been good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey