Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 11:53 AM

194 posts, read 297,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
No, not since the butterfly goalie revolution. Nobody will score like Gretzky.
I think this is one of the main factors, that and the systematic defense that is played thoughout the NHL. Its much harder to score goals nowadays than it was in the 80's and 90's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
The only Gretzky record that is remotely in reach is his career goals scored.

I don't see any player today:
scoring 92+ goals in a season
scoring more assists in a season or in their career
scoring more points in a season or in their career

There are a ton of other records that derive from those I just listed above. A few might be reachable, but some are just fluky (scoring 4 goals in a period).

The game is vastly different than it used to be back in Gretzky's day. As good as Ovechkin, Malkin, etc might be, numbers-wise they definitely won't hold a candle to Gretzky. But, the question would then remain... how would Gretzky fare in today's hockey world?
I agree that most of Gretzky's records will never be touched and that no one will likely ever come close to most again. I think a question to ask that would be just as good as "how would Gretzky fare in today's hockey world?" is "how well could Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Datsyuk, etc have played in the 80's and 90's?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox22 View Post
I thought this question was already settled. Didn't Bettman already proclaim Crosby = Gretzky and Malkin=Messier?
Malkin = Lemieux

Crosby = Gretzky

Ovechkin = Man-Beast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey