Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 04:32 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,746,480 times

Advertisements

NHL dabbles in bigger nets, and they're shaped like purists' tears - Puck D... - NHL - Yahoo! Sports

What the hell?! Now they want to adjust the nets? Haven't they fricken learned from the changes from the lockout. I said it when they made the changes to the ice after the lockout. Yeah increase scoring but eventually, the players will adjust to it, and the scoring is going to go back down. Before when they changed the rules. Players were getting tons of delay of games because they shot it out of the rink. Now players are barely doing it. Go ahead change the size of the net, but in 2 years TOPS it'll be just like now, low scoring. Yeah we still have some high scoring games, but the players adjusted. BETTMAN is such an A-HOLE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 07:18 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,094,464 times
Interesting idea, but,,, no thanks.

If anything, more ice surface would be more entertaining - give guys bit more room to maneuver and make plays. Yea, I know - lose couple rows of seats.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:55 PM

40,048 posts, read 34,713,971 times
There's this old expression that executives never seem to understand: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Next they'll want to redesign the sticks. Then the skates. Maybe they don't like the name "hockey" either; it'll probably have to be changed! And, for that matter, why use a puck...

Old 01-21-2009, 08:57 PM

8,827 posts, read 10,303,146 times
tear-drop shaped nets? lame idea. If the NHL really wants to get more scoring, perhaps they should think about the neutral-zone traps?

Of course, I think it's fine the way it is

Old 01-21-2009, 10:30 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,094,464 times
Talking Hurry Hurry - Get Your New Game Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
There's this old expression that executives never seem to understand: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Next they'll want to redesign the sticks. Then the skates. Maybe they don't like the name "hockey" either; it'll probably have to be changed! And, for that matter, why use a puck...
Indeed! That's it - make the puck, ohhhh, say maybe round? Like a ball, and ummmm, those skate things, exchange those for sneakers,,, and tell ya what since ya mentioned those sticks, be how they are just dangerous weapons and all, get rid of 'em... so, well, ummmm, guys can't move that big ball now with their feet, so lets have 'em bounce it about on, well, no ice now since no skates, so be a floor, maybe wood? And since we're changing the net, heck lets not make it bigger, but go from horizontal opening to a vertical opening - yea,,, and then the guys have to kinda toss the ball upwards into that opening! That opening, kinda looks like an apple basket ya know? And you are right also on that name thing,,, hmmmm, what would it then be called... any ideas?

Old 01-21-2009, 10:41 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,359,723 times
actually they should change the off-side rule because it should allow for more break-aways which are supposed to be the most exciting play in hockey

Old 01-22-2009, 12:06 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,391,186 times
The story I heard is that they're simply going to use oval-shaped pipes so that more pucks deflect down when they strike iron. The actual size will not be increased.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:46 AM

14,860 posts, read 43,013,003 times
^^^ NO! Just leave it they way it is. About the only rule change I've been happy with is the "2 line pass" that got thrown away. Leave the NETS ALONE!!! I don't even want the oval shaped iron used. To "deflect them down" and into the net. NO! I LIKE hearing that "PING" sound and it still not going in even IF it is my team shooting. Scraping for rebounds in front of the net is fun and exciting to see.

If they try to change it so that the score is higher........ to me I LIKE the excitement of a 0-0 game going into the 3rd at times. I don't want to see double digit scores constantly. Then goals lose all of the thrill of the game. Basketball doesn't stop and celebrate after each basket made. With hockey being that there are a lot fewer goals it IS a big deal. LEAVE IT ALONE!

Old 01-22-2009, 08:07 AM

42,093 posts, read 75,591,521 times
^^Agreed. What the heck is wrong with a low-scoring game? The intensity and anticipation of a defensive struggle is loads more interesting than a goalfest.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:08 AM

317 posts, read 537,071 times
whats next Buttman?? How about making a shot clock?? Or what about putting little targets in the net and if they hit them, you get 4 points???

That'll make the game more "interesting" won't it?

I hate that guy.. If you didn't guess, it was sarcasm above... Buttman needs to stop changing the game... Bigger net, smaller net, goalie pad restrictions, whatever, quit screwing up the game that you can't even play!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey