Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2009, 12:53 PM

774 posts, read 2,496,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Lol it's not an oversimplification.. it just makes sense. 80% of the southern teams are failing miserably.. heck even Denver is really starting to lose it to spite being first in the west.... barely can draw 10 thousand fans a game.
Agreed. It's not rocket science to put hockey teams into markets that are actually pre-disposed to following hockey.

As a Chicago sports fan, I'd love to see Milwaukee get a team so that there's another regional rival for the Blackhawks. The University of Wisconsin actually has the highest hockey attendance of any school in the country - while that's in Madison, a large percentage of those fans are Milwaukee natives and it shows that the state overall is very supportive of the sport. Any market like the Winnipeg, Quebec and Hartford that lost teams also ought to be the first in line.

Hockey is ALL about regional rivalries. Having strong geographic clusters in the Northeast, Midwest and Canada are what's going to carry the league long-term. I'm not saying that there shouldn't be any teams in the Sunbelt, but the NHL should've learned that simply entering into a high growth Southern or Southwestern market isn't necessarily a good trade off compared to a smaller market that has a lot more intense feelings about the sport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 01:39 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
The Milwaukee Admirals don't necessarily draw much more than AHL teams in the south like Houston but I would not use minor league attendance to be a gauge of how interested people will be in seeing actual elite hockey talent come to town. Big difference between getting a chance to see someone like Sidney Crosby and getting a chance to see a bunch of guys nobody's really heard of.

Milwaukee would need a new arena too though. The Bradley Center is a bit dated and small.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:30 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,854,755 times
Instead of maybe expanding to Houston.. something like a relocation from Florida/Miami to Houston would be a better idea.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:48 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
The Houston Panthers? Could work. The arena's ready.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,875 times
We need a team in Hawai'i!!!

Old 12-08-2009, 09:10 AM

623 posts, read 1,542,402 times
The NHL needs expansion as much as Mark Mangino, Phil Fulmer, or Charlie Weis do.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:01 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,579,392 times
When and I did say whenever the NHL expand it will be to Houston
Texas first Kansas City secondly and then to Seattle (and) not to
Winnapeg....Quebec ...Hartford CT....Hamilton Ontario Canada.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:45 PM

10 posts, read 19,695 times
Quebec, Hamilton, Winnipeg, Milwaukee, Seattle, Portland, Kansas City, Houston.

relocation must be west, and north.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:29 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
Can I just say, That I really wish Milwaukee had an NHL team. Wisconsin is a big hockey state and you have the Milwaukee Admirals that are the feeder for the Nashville Predators, we have the University Of Wisconsin which is always a hockey power house. They built the Pettit Center with the hopes of luring a hockey team to Milwaukee from what I have heard was that the NHL promised Milwaukee a NHL team if the Pettit's would build a NHL stadium so they did and Milwaukee was passed up for two new expansion teams. Milwaukee has one of the Official Olympic training facilities in the US and back the Admirals used to draw better than the Milwaukee Bucks in the 90's and I'm sure if Milwaukee had an NHL team that same enthusiasm would be back.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:57 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,854,755 times
I'm really surprised Milwaukee doesn't have a team, it's probably the most deserving right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey