Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2009, 11:28 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,944,469 times

Advertisements

Of the possible cities....I would like to see Houston get a team. It's a gigantic city, 4th largest in the US and truly is capable of supporting 4 pro teams. In addition, Dallas has proven that Texas is more consistently supportive of hockey than say Atlanta, Phoenix or Nashville has been.

I really hope Kansas City does not get an NHL team. The Scouts were a failure there, and KC will only support a hockey team if there is no NBA team to go to.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 11:42 AM

467 posts, read 1,190,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Of the possible cities....I would like to see Houston get a team. It's a gigantic city, 4th largest in the US and truly is capable of supporting 4 pro teams. In addition, Dallas has proven that Texas is more consistently supportive of hockey than say Atlanta, Phoenix or Nashville has been.
Well, the reason why Dallas was so successfu,l was because they went in and built several ice rink to help build a large base of youth hockey kids to go see games.

Then they went in a cut prices for youth hockey kids to come and see the games....smart!

Although Phoenix does the same thing as afr as tickets go, they didn't invest in Ice rinks like Dallas.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:53 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,036,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head coach View Post
I see, this is coming from someone who lives in Albuquerque.

How many people play hockey in Albuquerque anyways...3?

Well, to be honest, I think you have more then 3, you might evern have more then 300. Plus, if I am not mistaken, you have a CHL team known as the Scorpions that play games within your city as well.

As for Phoenix, there are about 25,000 players within the state. Which I agree is not enought to support a pro team. However, the pro team is not there ONLY for people that play ice hockey.

If you want to get the sport out there so it's not ranked number 45, right behind Tiddley Winks, then you have to make the sport know into markets that will help the sport grow...get it. And it just so happens that Phoenix is the 5 largest city in the US and Vegas is not far behind. I think Albuquerque ranks abot 25.

Yes, I know there are thoses Canadiens out there that fell that their national sport has been stolen from them. But the news flash is...Ice Hockey is now played around the world, in almost every country.

Take a few moments to google International Ice hockey. There you will come up with a forum where all players from all over the work can chat.

either way I still think its stupid to place hockey teams in the South and the Desert, its like placing a farm in NYC or a Saks Fifth Avenue in a small town in Iowa, it just dont belong.

Give them crappy teams to the east coast or Canada. I bet half the fans that attend games in Phoenix,Raleigh,Nashville,and Atlanta dont understand a damn thing about hockey.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:28 PM

467 posts, read 1,190,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Give them crappy teams to the east coast or Canada. I bet half the fans that attend games in Phoenix,Raleigh,Nashville,and Atlanta dont understand a damn thing about hockey.
Ok, don't tell me. Your a transplant from Canada living in Albuquerque and you wish that someday all of the NHL team will return home to their rightful place, kind of like a Mom hoping their lost child will return home someday...is that it?

Old 05-04-2009, 09:45 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,581,997 times
Quote:
I bet half the fans that attend games in Phoenix,Raleigh,Nashville,and Atlanta dont understand a damn thing about hockey.
They're paying to be there either way.

Anyway, I guess it'd be a shock to you that I've watched hockey for about 20 years and I grew up in Texas. And yes, I understand the game.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
They're paying to be there either way.

Anyway, I guess it'd be a shock to you that I've watched hockey for about 20 years and I grew up in Texas. And yes, I understand the game.

how many Texans can actually say that? thats my point.

Im sure there is someone in New Mexico that has followed Rugby for years its just that I have never ever met anyone that does like it,dont mean we should have a rugby team.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head coach View Post
Ok, don't tell me. Your a transplant from Canada living in Albuquerque and you wish that someday all of the NHL team will return home to their rightful place, kind of like a Mom hoping their lost child will return home someday...is that it?

Im not a Canadian transplant, Im actually from a small town in Eastern NM and have lived in NM my whole life and I dont think hockey belongs in a place like Albuquerque when you could put it in Winnipeg,Milwaukee or Cleveland.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:57 AM

Quote:
how many Texans can actually say that? thats my point.
And my point is that if people care enough to pay to go there, why shouldn't they have one?

There was a time when Texas had no major league baseball history either, and they decided to put teams here.

Why would Cleveland support a team when there is already a new-ish franchise just down the road in Columbus, and three others not far away?

Old 05-05-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
And my point is that if people care enough to pay to go there, why shouldn't they have one?

There was a time when Texas had no major league baseball history either, and they decided to put teams here.

Why would Cleveland support a team when there is already a new-ish franchise just down the road in Columbus, and three others not far away?

Cleveland was just an example.

and some people just go to be seen there like at any other event.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
and some people just go to be seen there like at any other event.
And this means they shouldn't have a team?

By that logic, LA shouldn't have pro sports at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey